PDA

View Full Version : Rear master cylinder mounting on 77 XLH?

Jacobms1984
03-02-2016, 10:06 PM
I currently have a junk 1980 XLH ironhead and know how the rear master cylinder mounts on the rear sprocket cover. So I am looking at a good 1977 XLH but was wondering how to mount a master cylinder on that year. Don't want to get into something to hard. Any help or pics would be really helpful. Thank you all in advance.

WillSCB
03-03-2016, 3:39 PM
I had a 1980 Sporty that I put a kicker on. I made a bracket coming off the exhaust mount lug on the frame on the right side (since it isn't used for the exhaust,) then modified the brake linkage. Don't have any photos handy (was before I had gone digital, and might have an actual photo somewhere but not sure which box of photos it would be in.

docmel
03-05-2016, 6:56 PM
I had a 1980 Sporty that I put a kicker on. I made a bracket coming off the exhaust mount lug on the frame on the right side (since it isn't used for the exhaust,) then modified the brake linkage. Don't have any photos handy (was before I had gone digital, and might have an actual photo somewhere but not sure which box of photos it would be in.

If I remember right, the 77 XLH was one of the few bastard years where the master cylinder and brake lever pivot was made dif from other years, Thats one of the reasons drag pipes are so hard to fond for that year

The master cylinder of another year could fit on a 77 sprocket cover I guess with just a little modding on the sprocket cover. A couple of holes, and some spacers, and a master cylinder of newer years should bolt right on. But the work doesn't stop there: Where/how does the 77 xlh brake lever/pivot fit in to the pic? You would need to line it all up so the master cylinder plunger off the brake lever would work

Here's thought.....Would a 78-later (to a point at least) sprocket cover fit your '77? That would solve the master cylinder and brake lever pivot line up: If it would, it would all line up, and you would have no mating issues whatsoever

Sorry, its all a guess from my piont of view as I cant fully remember the 77 set up

WillSCB
03-06-2016, 2:22 AM
If I remember right, the 77 XLH was one of the few bastard years where the master cylinder and brake lever pivot was made dif from other years, Thats one of the reasons drag pipes are so hard to fond for that year

The master cylinder of another year could fit on a 77 sprocket cover I guess with just a little modding on the sprocket cover. A couple of holes, and some spacers, and a master cylinder of newer years should bolt right on. But the work doesn't stop there: Where/how does the 77 xlh brake lever/pivot fit in to the pic? You would need to line it all up so the master cylinder plunger off the brake lever would work

Here's thought.....Would a 78-later (to a point at least) sprocket cover fit your '77? That would solve the master cylinder and brake lever pivot line up: If it would, it would all line up, and you would have no mating issues whatsoever

Sorry, its all a guess from my piont of view as I cant fully remember the 77 set up

77 was disc front and drum rear. The 79 is the bastard year you are thinking of. You look at exhaust pipes, they are listed as "57-85 EXCEPT 79." They had kind of a weird linkage for the rear brake that had the master cylinder above the brake pedal so you could use a kick starter.

docmel
03-06-2016, 9:35 AM
What Will said............