PDA

View Full Version : How long should I wait for parts before loosing it?

Jessechop
03-01-2016, 8:33 PM
Here is the deal. I ordered a hard tail for a bike from a well know retail seller, one that I buy better than 70% of my stuff through. Ship time, 4-6 weeks. No big deal, most people are getting them sooner.......well I am 2 days away from 8 weeks. I dropped a email at week 6 and said the mfg had moved shops but I was right near the top of the list....

I generally dont get to worked up about stuff like this but I am just about ready to loose it.

boomboomthump
03-01-2016, 10:48 PM
You should lose it at 12-18 weeks.

(3x longer than ETA).

andri
03-02-2016, 5:31 AM
Pretty much depends on communications I'd say. If they are keeping you up to date on the progress, then they can take the time they need.
If no replys and so on, I start getting anxious pretty fast.

steffan
03-02-2016, 11:16 AM
Im not sure who you ordered from or who is making its but here's some things that Ive found from being on the manufacturing, sales, customer service, and being on the buyer/waiting game side of things

First thing, is that within the motorcycle industry...EVERYONE waits until that last second (spring) to order their parts. Every business owner i know including my shop pretty much sits on their ass all winter begging for work (at reduced prices) all winter and then gets absolutely slammed come spring time. buy it in the winter and youll probably get a deal and the wait time wont be an issue.

Secondly, big items like hardtails and frames take time to build. You absolutely do not want to rush the person making them because it could lead to a dangerous product. I only mention this because every post i see about someone waiting for a product its always a hardtail or custom frame. Quality takes time. I guarantee you do not want a hardtail or frame that someone rushed to build.

Third is the communication. I agree that communication is important but that being said it sounds like your going through a third party so that adds to any delays. Who ever you bought it from is at the mercy of the manufacturer/supplier. That being said if the manufacturer is a small shop like mine there is only so much time in a day and if they are a one man shop you have to ask your self...would your rather them spend the time in the shop filling orders or sitting in front of the computer answering the 100's of email from people wanting to know where their stuff is at.....?

Anyways, its not my intentions to point fingers but just hope that it gives people an idea of what happens behind the curtain. I too get excited and impatient for things when i order them but i always have to remind my self that the rest of the world doesnt operate like Amazon or Ebay that guarantees items to be delivered on an exact day. Handmade and custom goods take time and if the shop if building/selling a quality product than the wait should be worth it.

seaking
03-02-2016, 11:57 AM
Just wait and don't bother him, he responded. I'm in construction, and all these emails piss everyone off and muddy the water. Just shut the fuck up and let the man work.

Jessechop
03-02-2016, 3:52 PM
Just wait and don't bother him, he responded. I'm in construction, and all these emails piss everyone off and muddy the water. Just shut the fuck up and let the man work.

I never bothered "him". I went through Lowbrow vs Bird directly.

Thanks for your insight.

And to add I work as a machinist in a small machine shop. When we tell the customer 3 weeks, we mean 3 weeks. I guess after years of doing work like this I come to expect it from others is all. I guess that probably isnt the case. So I ordered on 1/07 with a 4 to 6 week ship window and here it is 8 weeks.

Not a big deal, just seeing if it was normal. I guess I will probably order the TC bros hardtail so I can get this damn bike done.

farmall
03-02-2016, 6:17 PM
Good idea. I don't order anything custom if I'm not fine with a very very very long wait.

Jessechop
03-02-2016, 6:42 PM
Good idea. I don't order anything custom if I'm not fine with a very very very long wait.

Yep, lesson learned

EVILBLACKSABRE
03-02-2016, 8:08 PM
. When we tell the customer 3 weeks, we mean 3 weeks. I guess after years of doing work like this I come to expect it from others is all. Abso-fucking-lutely.

Sometimes I feel like some kind of dinosaur, when I give someone my word, whether it's in my personal life or in my business, I feel compelled and obligated to keep it. And I would feel like less than a man if I didn't keep it.

If I give someone a date of completion, I do everything I can to meet it. It would take something very extreme for me not to meet it, like being hospitalized, or a family crisis, or a fire or natural disaster, etc. And if for ANY reason I was not able to meet my deadline, then I would feel compelled and obligated to give the customer a significant discount.

Keeping ones word is good for business. Not keeping ones word is very bad for business. People make plans based on when a business owner says they will get a job done. If you can't rely on the business owner to do exactly what they say, then what good are they. I know that I won't give money twice to someone who can't meet a deadline.

And if anyone says "Well sometimes they don't know how long it will take", or "Maybe they're really busy", bullshit, if you're a professional, and if you know your business, then you should know how long it's going to take you to get a job done.

Not making deadlines is a great way to go out of business. And it should be.

And I'm not even talking about the assholes who give a short date of completion just to get your money, when they know all along that it's going to take them a lot longer. Lying scumbags.

whino
03-03-2016, 4:33 PM
well what I do is look for a fabricator in my area and get what I want ihad to send back many frames that were trash look around I got a guy who builds racing go-carts can make anything good luck

ac72rat
03-04-2016, 10:34 AM
I never bothered "him". I went through Lowbrow vs Bird directly.

Thanks for your insight.

And to add I work as a machinist in a small machine shop. When we tell the customer 3 weeks, we mean 3 weeks. I guess after years of doing work like this I come to expect it from others is all. I guess that probably isnt the case. So I ordered on 1/07 with a 4 to 6 week ship window and here it is 8 weeks.

Not a big deal, just seeing if it was normal. I guess I will probably order the TC bros hardtail so I can get this damn bike done.

your absofuckinglutely right Im the same way and expect others to deliver in a advertised time frame fuck sitting on it be pissed

Jessechop
03-07-2016, 10:10 PM
Well the hardtail has shipped....from California. Confused as DB is in MO. Sounds like work getting farmed out perhaps?

SkinnyFnny
03-07-2016, 11:35 PM
This probably isn't the thread for this, but I bought a db weld on for my xs a little over a year ago and the ship time was fine but the frame itself was a little... weird. I didn't take pictures but it seemed like it had come loose from the jig mid fab... I had to hack .25 off of one of the upper tubes, every tube had to be re-bent a few degrees to make it line up clean.

Has anyone else had this problem or am I just the unlucky duck?

boofers
03-14-2016, 9:25 AM
waited on a springer front end for just about 4 months and was told 6 weeks. From a reputable dealer everyone knows. i was pulling my hair out. Definitely have learned to triple the wait time on custom parts.

DavidBirdHardtails
03-18-2016, 4:38 PM
Jessechop
My wife and I have a grandson that has some serious health issues. So we decided to move closer to the situation. I am so sorry for the delay. Please except my sincere apology. David Bird

Davestune
03-18-2016, 7:09 PM
Im going to ask you when it will be done, if you tell me 3 months fine, if you tell me 2 weeks fine, can understand being off a week or so, but I expect what ever I order with in reasonable time.

Allen
03-19-2016, 3:47 PM
I'll throw some more thoughts into the conversation. In the t-shirt making business, operating in a shop with technology and equipment from as far back as the 70's when shit breaks, it's a choice to either replace it with something new (expensive usually) or try to find and order a part for something that hasn't been made for decades in some cases (and occasionally, something or some part or circuitry that just doesn't exist, so you have to create or substitute a missing part, i.e., trial and error if things are going to be repairable...). So there have been delays, not excessive delays, but a week added to someone's order can be like a year to the impatient.

The benefit tho, that running old shit from the 70's and 80's was more than likely made to fucking last! ...not so much anymore.