PDA

View Full Version : Reshaping cylinder fins (pics?)

woz
02-29-2016, 8:00 AM
Wanted to see if anyone has experience reshaping cylinder fins or pics of reshaped fins. Thinking about trying it on a big twin evo nothing too crazy but just to try something different. I know removing material from the fins may affect cooling, so any input on that is cool too, I would most likely run an oil cooler. (I did a search but didn't find anything)

None
02-29-2016, 10:35 AM
Skulls or frills?

21guns
02-29-2016, 2:54 PM
Chica did it on one of his chops on biker build off. Welded material on then shaped em to a point. Not sure on anything else though.

Sky
03-01-2016, 1:53 AM
Seen Evo jugs cut round. And of course deleting fins for that drag race look. Personally I'd add fins or drill them maybe. Especially on a street machine.

woz
03-01-2016, 2:22 AM
Seen Evo jugs cut round. And of course deleting fins for that drag race look. Personally I'd add fins or drill them maybe. Especially on a street machine.

Slightly more round is actually kind of what I was thinking, any chance you have any pics?

boomboomthump
03-01-2016, 8:06 AM
I'm not doubting someone didn't go through the effort but are we sure they didn't simply swap to cylinders from the Evo-based Indian PowerPlus 100 from the early 2000's? They were the rage for a hot minute.

http://www.crazyhorsemotorcycles.com/images/p1070607%20cylinder%20pair%20black%20with%20polish ed%20fins%20500px.jpg

Nottso
03-01-2016, 2:37 PM
I've seen an Evo or maybe it was a TC (I can't remember) where the jugs were reshaped into octagons by turning each of the four 90 corners into two 45 angles. It appeared nicely done as far as the machining went but I didn't care for it. It was different, but as you noted it would be counterproductive as far as cooling goes and it wasn't really an "eye grabber." At a walking-by glance, it was reminiscent of a Honda Shadow engine (not that there's anything wrong with that).

woz
03-01-2016, 7:45 PM
I saw one done that way, however I didnt care for it either. Anyone have more info on those indian evo jugs? I did a quick google search but didnt find a ton

docmel
03-08-2016, 4:14 PM
Myself, a no go: Fins are designed to dissipate heat equally, especially on a air cooled engine: Modding fins will cause uneven cooling along the jug............

None
03-09-2016, 8:25 AM
It's boring but you could actually do the math on it and work out if/how much of a difference it would make.

Or stick an oil cooler on afterwards. Or don't ride it in Summer! Or don't ride it at all and just trailer it to shows like the rest.

As an aside ... someone has actually done the math on heat exchange; bare alloy versus painted etc, and there are super-duper coating that improve heat transfer like the Tech-Lines if you want some insurance.

I was surprised but black painted was significantly better than bare and, less surprising, rough coat better than polished.

Links are out there somewhere.