PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy an H-D crate motor???

tomahawk1976
02-26-2016, 9:07 AM
I called my local dealer.....reminded me why I never do business with them. Attitude from the start. According to them, they can only get twinkies now.....any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

None
02-26-2016, 9:37 AM
I called my local dealer.....reminded me why I never do business with them. Attitude from the start. According to them, they can only get twinkies now.....any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Any reason why a H-D crate rather than, say, an S&S?

I'd say just keep an eye out for deal on Ebay and Craigslist (http://www.searchcraigslist.org) (search all facility).

I've seen some really good clearance deals for "New Old Stock" items.

H-D have stopped doing Evo rebuilds but, AFAIK S&S still do them. There are other reliable builders.

I've also seen some custom bikes, e.g. low mileage Bourgets, which came with reliable S&S or H-D engines you could pretty much buy for the price of a crate motor and then ditch or recycle the rest of the parts to make some money back (for example, there's a 2003 Low Blow for $6500 with a new 96ci, or a 2000 with a 113 S&S and just 6,200 miles up there just now for the same price. Most guys who bought them, put zero miles on them). Or if you have a little more cash, there's a 152ci ILMOR Evo for not much above the price of top whack S&S!

Bear in mind those bikes also come with quality trannies etc

Do you specifically want an Evo? Twinkies can also be made to fit with available brackets and there's plenty of 'swop outs' around.

tomahawk1976
02-26-2016, 10:27 AM
Was gonna go with a crate evo....around 3k brandy new Harley engineer. Reliable since I'm a shitty roadside mechanic

Wood
02-26-2016, 10:33 AM
HD isn't building them anymore so gonna get tougher to find. S&S makes a couple options but cost is a little bit higher.

whino
02-26-2016, 12:18 PM
got one whino rebuilt

docmel
02-26-2016, 2:28 PM
HD isn't building them anymore so gonna get tougher to find. S&S makes a couple options but cost is a little bit higher.

Ebay and Craigslist are the places to look.

Ebay is a great source of evo engines, both sporty and big twin. Many of the ebay evo engine vendors have a long history of selling motors, and they are pretty darn cheap. Mind you, these engines mostly come from wrecked bikes, but who cares as long as the motor is in good mech condition. Just be sure whatever motor you get can can be titled with whatever frame or build you are contemplating

I stay away from most indy dealers when it comes to used evo engines. Most are bought off ebay, and they just add a mark up which you can save yourself if you buy your own with no extra middlemen involved

Brand new new EVOS, (SS or others), are just too costly

None
02-26-2016, 2:35 PM
Someone somewhere will have one gather dust in the back of a shop if you wait around long enough ... but you won't go wrong with an S&S or other quality build.

Examples, cheapest you can pick up a new S&S 80ci from $3,800.00 to $4,950.00 depending on tune, or a 111ci from $4,989.95. If you picked up a junk motor for, say, $1,000, S&S then do stock rebuilds ... but they cost $3,495.00 for an Evo. All their stuff comes with good warranties.

But do you see the difference in prices between them and those Bourgets above?

I don't know what your project is, or where you are starting from ... perhaps if you said it would help ... but that's a price for a good, matched motor, carb and transmission, and perhaps other parts you can salvage. Then you can sell off the wheels, forks and wheels etc.

I've been watching this for a while, it's a deal I am surprised more folks are not jumping on.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the Bourget style but, screw it, just take the moving parts you need and sell the rest to get your money back.

Again, I dont know your long term plan, but the weakness of the Evo were their cases ... so the other alternative is to start collecting bargain NOS parts and have someone build it, e.g. start with a good set of 'name' cases. There's not a lot of parts in one, and they deserve to run at more than a stock tune.

farmall
02-26-2016, 4:41 PM
You could also buy a low mileage stock Evo then part it out and get a good engine and other parts cheap.

I'd sell the titled frame on Ebay for max profit since there are so few for sale, unless you want to hang on to it for future use.

How are you planning to title your chop if it needs an engine? You might solve both problems at once. Run the dollar numbers for different options.

The most expensive route to a chopper is usually the "piece at a time" method because you can nickle and dime yourself into a hole.

None
02-26-2016, 7:38 PM
... Unless you are willing to sit, wait and snap up bargains as they arise. Evo stuff's becoming really cheap now.

It would help a lot to know what the original poster is starting with, where they want to end up, and how many dollars they have in their budget.

I agree with you, but some folks just can't go for the big buys where the biggest savings but can "nickle and dime" a little every month out of their budget.

If you can find the part numbers for the old Evo crate motor options, the dealers do have an inter-dealer search function where they can find one at another dealer anywhere in the world ... if they are helpful. Work the phones and internet and you'll find one or similar ... e.g. robsusedharleyparts.com (http://www.robsusedharleyparts.com/photos/displayimage.php?album=2&pos=9) or alternative (http://www.robsusedharleyparts.com/photos/displayimage.php?album=2&pos=5). That second one already has a nice enough cam in it.

New, I get P/N: 16134-98 still coming up on price lists, but it's $4,800. You could have a better one built for that price.

Personally, I would not want a stock crate because you'd (I'd) only have to start spending money on it making it work better.

tomahawk1976
02-26-2016, 8:13 PM
I'm wanting the evo for ease of maintenance and eating up trouble free miles. I was gonna run a Pan, but 6 or 7k is crazy for an engine (to me) I'm not a great wrench and I have nobody to impress. If the engine gets me down the road...it has enough power for this bike....not looking for HP numbers or hop-ups. Stock is perfect

None
02-26-2016, 8:54 PM
You say, but a 'stock-stock' is really de-tuned, if it comes with an EPA cam, and manufactured down to a price point.

If you're starting from scratch, you could at least include a decent bolt in cam like that one with a EV27 (which really just means bring it back to what it was original designed to be), a Torrington bearing for it, and swop out the plastic breather for a metal or butterfly valve one. It won't effect reliability and it'll improve longevity.

Those - apart from H-D's variable engineering tolerances - are just about the only liabilities, which would all come fixed in a "stock" 80" S&S; but you are right, 80" etc is perfectly adequate. But you can improve on stock without going down the performance route.

What do you make of the options so far, and how much else of a bike do you have a present?

tomahawk1976
02-26-2016, 10:53 PM
That's what I was thinking as far as upgrades, I'm just not looking for higher compression, hit cams, head work, etc etc. I basically have a roller right now. It would be killer with an old engine in it, but I plan on riding more than wrenching. I have a shovel for tinkering. Frame is 12" up zero out and a 40 over girder (yeah...kinda long) I'm thinking 80" evo and debating between 4 or 5 speed kick only trans. I would post a pic of the roller, but don't know how....so easy to post in classified, but it's a mystery to me on the forum. Thanks for all the great advice

tomahawk1976
03-06-2016, 9:07 AM
Just an update....I do appreciate all the help n info. Whoever said to keep an eye on Craigslist.... I owe you a beer. Didn't get any paperwork....just a bill of sale, which I can work with....but I did get a running 80" evo motor with stock carb and some gay ass hyper charger....and an S&S carb........$500. Can't beat that shit with a stick

docmel
03-06-2016, 9:33 AM
Before you send too much money on your build, check with your state on bill of sale only. You might have a hard time titling, then registering your ride when that time comes with only a BOS Good luck

transamtony
03-07-2016, 5:37 PM
Go with an S&S.

farmall
03-07-2016, 7:32 PM
If you aren't a mechanic you should probably buy a near-stock, fairly recent motorcycle and keep it that way. That's not an insult, it's practical reality. With a custom you are your mechanic because otherwise you have to hope you find an indy and can explain everything in your machine to him in detail.

The main reason to own a chopper is appearance, with the bonus of having your personal, usually minimalist, flavor of motorcycle, but that is very INTERACTIVE.

I suggest owning a RELIABLE runner and learning to wrench on another motorcycle. Consider other brands because that's often more cost-effective and they are frequently higher performing.

Victory makes some tough, reliable machines and unlike Harley, you don't have to discard half the motorcycle to upgrade it. I like to wrench but I'm hunting for a Vic to add to the fleet.

None
03-07-2016, 9:33 PM
a running 80" evo motor with stock carb and some gay ass hyper charger....and an S&S carb........$500. Can't beat that shit with a stick
That's really good to hear ... you could probably sell the stock CV40 for $100, although if you're sticking with stock, or near stock, I'd keep it and sell the S&S for more. You'd probably even get $70 for the Hypercharger on Ebay. It'd lower the price down even more.

Good deal.

I guess with 40" over girders you're making another sort of statement that does not need you making the front end light.