PDA

View Full Version : Kinda odd Clutch problem? (Honda CM400)

Aetsh
06-03-2010, 10:29 PM
Coming to a red light, I pull in the clutch, and downshift to 1st, right?

Now and again, I go to downshift all the way down, and I "Bottom out", but I'm not in 1st. Usually 2nd. sometimes 3rd. (Its that feeling when you're in 1st and you can't go down any farther).

So, I slowly release the clutch until I hear the gear go "pop", right into the lower gear I was going for in the first place.

Doesn't happen everytime I come to a stop, only now and again..and EVERY time I do the slight letting out of the clutch, it ALWAYS pops into the lower gear I wanted.

Is it as simple as tighting my clutch cable? Maybe it has too much slack?

Thoughts/Ideas/Theroys?

Thanks guys

Twinkies
06-04-2010, 11:35 PM
ya, if you havent already, try adjusting the clutch cable.
The bike shifts fine while riding, right?
Have you tried downshifting 4-3, letting out the clutch, downshifting 3-2, clutch out, 2-1, clutch out and then pulling in the clutch and coming to a stop?
Might help isolate your problem but sounds like a clutch issue.

Aetsh
06-05-2010, 12:10 AM
I'll toy with the cable, it does let out reallllly late (lever is almost fully released) could that be doing it?

I will also try the 4-3 3-2 2-1 thing, I usually roll up to a light clutch in, in 5th then just go down through all the gears to get back to first...should I not be doing it that way?

Psychophilly666
06-05-2010, 6:39 AM
I'll toy with the cable, it does let out reallllly late (lever is almost fully released) could that be doing it?

I will also try the 4-3 3-2 2-1 thing, I usually roll up to a light clutch in, in 5th then just go down through all the gears to get back to first...should I not be doing it that way?

No, you shouldnt be doing it that way. Really?!? I have NEVER done that, you should be downshifting when approching a stop, your clutch maybe fucked because of you doing that, i wouldnt doubt it. But before diving into your clutch i would replace the cable if adjusting it does no good.

Aetsh
06-05-2010, 7:57 AM
No, you shouldnt be doing it that way. Really?!? I have NEVER done that, you should be downshifting when approching a stop, your clutch maybe fucked because of you doing that, i wouldnt doubt it. But before diving into your clutch i would replace the cable if adjusting it does no good.

Hell. I was never "formally" taught to ride..hmmm hope I didn't fuck anything beyond repair..

I assumed downshifting through each gear would put more stress/wear on gears/clutch...

I fucking suck.

Thanks for the heads up, I approciate it

Jasonisdico
06-05-2010, 9:24 AM
You should definitely be downshifting through each gear on your way to a light. Use the lower gear to help slow you down. It's called engine braking.

Aetsh
06-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Thanks!

I guess I thought the same held true as with cars, my dad used to say "brakes are cheaper than clutches"

Guess not haha, I'll go up and down through the gears a bunch next time I'm out on the scoot.

Thanks guys

justin666
06-05-2010, 4:27 PM

how is this fucking up his clutch?

Twinkies
06-05-2010, 11:23 PM
Hell. I was never "formally" taught to ride..hmmm hope I didn't fuck anything beyond repair..

I assumed downshifting through each gear would put more stress/wear on gears/clutch...

I fucking suck.

Thanks for the heads up, I approciate it

I dont think your coasting to a stop, then going down through the gears would cause abnormal clutch wear... but I will say its bad form for safety/emergency manuvering reasons! no doubt! Not a good habit, but Ill be the first to admit I get lazy sometimes getting off the freeway. This is not something you want to do in traffic though... you want to be on the brake or on the throttle...

anyways.. let us know how it goes..

Aetsh
06-06-2010, 6:42 AM
I dont think your coasting to a stop, then going down through the gears would cause abnormal clutch wear... but I will say its bad form for safety/emergency manuvering reasons! no doubt! Not a good habit, but Ill be the first to admit I get lazy sometimes getting off the freeway. This is not something you want to do in traffic though... you want to be on the brake or on the throttle...

anyways.. let us know how it goes..

Thank you!

I took and passed the Ohio msf course, but we never made it past 3rd gear, so I never really learned proper technique coming to stop signs/red lights.

Aetsh
06-07-2010, 1:20 PM
Rode the bike today for over an hour, I kinda had to "relearn" how to ride it by downshifting more and more, but it seems the problem is fixed!

Thanks to all who commented