PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying these mag wheels ?

a40nabowl
02-25-2016, 3:53 AM
Anyone know these mag wheels that take a juice setup?

pedrodeleon
02-25-2016, 11:53 AM
I'm pretty sure both the 9 spoke HD mag in your first pic and the American racing mags in the 2nd pic required an adapter made to mount a drum. Some ironheads had an 18" mag that was made for a mechanical drum but the one in your picture looks like it was a disc brake wheel since it has the mounting holes for a disc on the right side and is 16". W&W in Germany started remaking the American Racing mags in your second pic and make them for mechanical and hydraulic drum brakes https://www.wwag.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/WebSite.woa/wa/DirectAction?page=%21124460 . Wompy from Still Kicking Moto http://stillkickingmoto.bigcartel.com/ has made adapters for mags to run drums before.

a40nabowl
02-25-2016, 12:39 PM
Thank man,
I just looked it up, but all I can find from American Racing is 12 Spoke Mag

Not sure who makes, them but you are right about the rear being disc brake originally in the fist photo. I wonder if they just drilled into the wheel and slapped on the hydraulic drum, or if they used a adapter. Wish I had a photo from the other side of the first bike.

Well, I think I found the wheels.

OleDirtyDoc
02-25-2016, 12:59 PM
They could have re drilled the drum.would be easier than the wheel

a40nabowl
02-25-2016, 1:06 PM
Good point.

I just found Sportster rear wheel. You think this is a sportster wheel ?

1982 Harley-Davidson FXB Sturgis

pedrodeleon
02-25-2016, 1:38 PM
Yep that one is a sportster rear wheel with the mechanical drum, it is a rear 18" wheel not a front wheel. The orange stripe wheel is a rear disk brake wheel. The second picture in your first post is of American Racing or the W&W repop wheels and are 12 spoke. Looks like a 15" rear and 18" front. All the rest of the pictures you posted are Harley 9 spoke mag wheels. The Harley 9 spoke mags typically come in 19" front and 16" rear, both for disk brakes. With the exception of the sportster mag in your last post which is an 18" rear wheel for a sportster mechanical drum brake. To get a juice drum brake on a 16" disk brake mag wheel an adapter would have to be made to mount the drum and align the chain to the trans sprocket or the hub would have to be machined down to accommodate the width of the drum compared to a sprocket without a drum. I don't think the chain would line up just by drilling and tapping the mag hub itself but it might.

a40nabowl
02-25-2016, 1:49 PM
@pedrodeleon
So you think they just drilled into the hydraulic drum and slapped it onto the 16" disk brake rear mag wheel?

pedrodeleon
02-25-2016, 1:55 PM
No I don't think they just drilled into the drum or the hub. You wouldn't want to drill into the drum because there's not much extra metal between bolt holes and you'd probably shear the drum the first time you hit the brakes. I also don't think they just drilled the hub for the same reason as well as a disk brake sprocket sits right again the hub but a drum brake sprocket sits out farther, the width of the drum. So your sprocket would not line up with your trans sprocket at all unless you spaced the wheel to the right to compensate for the difference. They probably had to machine the hub down enough to get the sprockets to line up.

a40nabowl
02-25-2016, 3:19 PM
No I don't think they just drilled into the drum or the hub. You wouldn't want to drill into the drum because there's not much extra metal between bolt holes and you'd probably shear the drum the first time you hit the brakes. I also don't think they just drilled the hub for the same reason as well as a disk brake sprocket sits right again the hub but a drum brake sprocket sits out farther, the width of the drum. So your sprocket would not line up with your trans sprocket at all unless you spaced the wheel to the right to compensate for the difference. They probably had to machine the hub down enough to get the sprockets to line up.

I think you are right about them having to machine the hub.
They must be using the later year axle as well for the wheel. I wish I could find a photo of that bike from the other side.

a40nabowl
02-26-2016, 2:28 AM
Well I found this .....67417