PDA

View Full Version : 1995 Sportster Electrical Question

big1521truck
02-24-2016, 8:26 PM
I've got a 1995 883. Was riding the other day and all my lights started to dim like the battery was going dead. They came back on bright so I figure I might have a bare wire somewhere shorting out. Next thing ya know everywhere I had bare skin to frame/handlebars starting shocking the shit out of me. Then the bike stuttered and shut off. Not really sure what's going on here or where to even begin looking. I am assuming the shocking might be coming from coil or something shorting to the frame but not sure. I have a lot of electrical experience on automotive and very mechanically inclined. Anyone have any ideas on where I should start? Thanks in advance!!

53rigid
02-25-2016, 7:11 AM
I would start around your coil area. 12 volts cannot shock you when shorted out to the frame. it will just burn whatever wire is shorting.

big1521truck
02-25-2016, 8:14 PM
That kinda where I was thinking. Either there or with the charging circuit. I got home from work today and took a quick glance over everything and did notice somehow the voltage regulator was unplugged. I didn't have time to mess with it but besides not charging, could that have something to do with it?

Sky
02-25-2016, 11:26 PM
An unplugged reg shouldn't cause you to get shocked. shorted plug wires are the first suspect. Bad coil or plugs are next.
Best to check your charging system as well.
It is possible the alternator stator windings might be shorted. And that may be able to cause a "shock"

big1521truck
02-29-2016, 8:22 PM
Thanks for the replies. As soon as I can get a free moment to actually work on it I'll let you all know what I find!