PDA

View Full Version : Single carb on a twin. Who's done it?

PeanutHead
02-24-2016, 6:52 PM
I'm contemplating buying a single carb setup for my kz440. I'm wondering if anyone has done this mod and has some feedback. You love it, hate it, what?

ScottArcher
02-25-2016, 12:03 AM
I've done it on my 88 Virago. I love it 110%. I've heard a single carb conversion will increase low end and reduce the top end. I don't know how true that is or what the logic behind it is.

JuanCarlito
02-25-2016, 3:58 AM
I'm doing it on my 86 xv750. Ease of use is the big draw for me, once its tuned its easily accessible and eliminates syncing. Also from what others have told me there is a slight increase in low end torque and a slight loss in top end power. But for most daily riders they don't ever use the full extent of top end power anyway, so the increased torque out ways the loss of top end. At least thats the logic that sold me!

PeanutHead
02-25-2016, 5:43 AM
Hmmmm. OK. I'm building this lil thing for LONG rides. So I'll look a little more into it. Found a company that makes the kit (manifold and carb) for ~$350.

farmall
02-25-2016, 7:11 AM
If I had two good carbs I'd just sync them and ride since KZ440 carbs are easy to get to. If you have nothing than a single carb setup ain't a bad idea. It's popular on British bikes since before most of us were born.

This guy did an interesting job for small money: http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6012

PeanutHead
02-25-2016, 8:58 AM
Thanks farmall. Not sure how I missed that thread. Hope I can update my freaking thread this weekend. It's been way to damn long.