PDA

View Full Version : Daily driver truck advice

keithb
06-03-2010, 10:19 PM
I'm looking to replace my current cage (Nissan 350Z) with something that's a bit more friendly in the snow (which probably means 4WD) that will also have room to haul a bike. Gas mileage and reliability are a concern as this will be my daily driver during the winter - it's got to get me back and forth to work every day and not break the bank doing it.

Any suggestions for a truck that fits my criteria and isn't completely boring? I've driven a late model Nissan Frontier and Toyota Tacoma, they're nice, but I'm not excited about them.

billdozer
06-03-2010, 11:13 PM
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/1770910855.html

Just kidding.

I vote 90's Bronco and a cheap trailer when you need to haul a bike.

billdozer
06-03-2010, 11:13 PM
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/1770910855.html

Just kidding.

I vote 90's Bronco and a cheap trailer when you need to haul a bike.

trnrover
06-04-2010, 12:29 AM
[QUOTE=billdozer;66929]http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/1770910855.html

Hell yeah get this one. Springer and all.

svwannabe
06-04-2010, 8:02 AM
How much cash you looking to drop??? Seeing that your looking to replace a 350z i would assume its a decent amount but anyway I'm a Ford tech and the new f-150s are pretty boss. I wouldnt recommend any of our smaller vehicles like the ranger cause the v-6s get the same milage as our bigger trucks so its pretty pointless

Nixon
06-04-2010, 12:36 PM
4wd cargo van?

ditto
06-04-2010, 12:48 PM
4wd cargo van?

thatd be my vote - i love the hell out of offroad/safari vans but theyre hard to come by for cheap!

why not a pickup - are you needing to plow snow? If not, 2wd with studded tires and some sand bags - I loved in CO for many years without 4wd

oh and Bill, that ad makes me sad that i got rid of a neon a few years back - i coulda been the envy!

WOMPY
06-04-2010, 12:54 PM
...Or If you got a big family or 8 drunk friends you can go with my choice: 1991 3/4 ton Suburban 4x4- last year of the solid axle (8-lug dana 44), rear 14 bolt, stock 4.10 gearing, and first year with the 4L80E tranny with overdrive.

keithb
06-04-2010, 3:00 PM
why not a pickup - are you needing to plow snow? If not, 2wd with studded tires and some sand bags - I loved in CO for many years without 4wd

A pickup is my first choice of body style, although I'm considering the trailer thing as well.

For the past few years, there have been a few days every winter where I have to take a vacation day because my car will literally not make it up my street since it's unplowed - even with snow tires and sand bags in the back. A small, 300hp RWD car is just a pain in that situation, and of course the cargo space sucks. Since I'm on 2 wheels when the weather is nice, I'd rather have my other vehicle give me maximum utility. I've never driven a 2WD truck in bad weather, so I really have no idea if it'd be a good choice or not.

Twinkies
06-04-2010, 11:15 PM
whats your price range?

plan on towing anything or pulling out your friend's stuck vehicles?

Tacomas dont excite me either, I prefer driving either of my old full size Chevys when Im out on snowboarding trips, off-road adventures, and hauling stuff... but Ive owned a few Toyota trucks and for a daily driver you cant beat them. I'd get a 4wd, 4cyl extended cab tacoma if I was in your situation.

KT
06-07-2010, 5:10 PM
Back in 08 I needed a work truck I maintain the electric companies interent dish jobs at the subs and residential computer repair also ...I bought a new 08 f150 base model got the extended warrenty 100k miles or 5 years ...I have already put 55k on the truck I just had to replace a front rotor and front brake pads yesterday other then that I have done nothing but oil and such ...Starts everyday I make 500 mile round trips frequently ....It is 2 wheel drive and I get in some pretty screwy places with it when working south eastern ohio ...Think I walked out the door with it for $13k ......But that is a brand new truck too ..... But I'd say you could find one maybe 4x4 V8 for decent a dime .....I get about 25 miles to the gallon out of mine

Last year I towed my 22 foot camper a xr 70,crf50,a big red honda 4 wheeler,a honda trail 70 and a 76 cb 750 from mid ohio back home 100+ miles one way ...And the truck never complained .... that's on a V6

willythepirate
06-07-2010, 7:06 PM
Ive got a 01 silverado 1/2 ton with a 5.3 v8 and get 18-20 highway and 15-17 around town. Its roomy inside and runs great I work at a parts store and the only thing they seem to need is a fuel pump after about a 120k. I recomend a fullsize GM truck. Don't get a 4.8 or a 4.2 they get shittier milage when doing manly truck stuff. Titans look good but seem to get shitty milage same with the Tundras. Ford has problems with the spark plugs shooting out of the heads on the 94-early 2000's. If you want a diesel get a dodge that cummings will out last the rest of the truck (which isn't saying much). GM has the best tranny in a diesel (alison) and one of the ford engines (cant remember 6.0 or 7.3) is a pile of shit.

What I'm saying is get a Gm that hasnt been beat on or neglected and keep up basic maintenace and you'll be ok.

Twinkies
06-08-2010, 11:49 PM
Ive got a 01 silverado 1/2 ton with a 5.3 v8 and get 18-20 highway and 15-17 around town. Its roomy inside and runs great I work at a parts store and the only thing they seem to need is a fuel pump after about a 120k. I recomend a fullsize GM truck. Don't get a 4.8 or a 4.2 they get shittier milage when doing manly truck stuff. Titans look good but seem to get shitty milage same with the Tundras. Ford has problems with the spark plugs shooting out of the heads on the 94-early 2000's. If you want a diesel get a dodge that cummings will out last the rest of the truck (which isn't saying much). GM has the best tranny in a diesel (alison) and one of the ford engines (cant remember 6.0 or 7.3) is a pile of shit.

What I'm saying is get a Gm that hasnt been beat on or neglected and keep up basic maintenace and you'll be ok.

Agree with ya on everything here.. its Ford's 6.0 thats a hot piece of garbage. The older 7.3s were fairly reliable, torquey engines.

joshmodelskidoo
06-14-2010, 5:26 PM
if u want milege dont get a dodge. i got a 99 with a 318 and 4wd and i average 14.5 in the summer and a lot lower in the winter

shop102
06-15-2010, 7:05 AM
i have a 99 chevy ext cab. I love it!!

Psychophilly666
06-16-2010, 4:48 PM
Got a 96 Chevy 1500, 260,000 miles and running strong.

bikerbiker1869
06-16-2010, 8:14 PM
i got a killer deal on a dakota last fall. its a 318 5 spd 2wd gets about 15 mpg. it dont go anywhere in the snow,and if i add weight it wont turn for shit. so i drive my 86 chevy puddle jumper with 38.5's swampers in the winter...it maybe gets 10 mpg but i dont have to worry bout nothin..i'v had it 4 years.never had a serius problem. i coudnt wait for spring to drive the dakota again..untill i figured out dakotas dont have factory tie-down hooks in the bed so i cant haul a bike...guess i just can't win
i'd vote new ford or older chevy

grandpab
06-17-2010, 10:29 AM
I bought my '90 toyota P/U, 2WD, short bed, standard cab, no extras, new for about 6K and have driven it in all kinds of weather with all kinds of loads, motorcycles, dirt, gravel, bricks, etc. Bill and I put helper springs and a bedliner in it when it was new. About a month ago I hauled 1/4 yard of gravel in it and was almost doing wheelies but it went right over the hills in Oceanside like a trooper. It still gets in excess of 25 MPG, looks like shit (due to being rammed, laying it on its side, deer jumping on hood, etc.) but it is simply the best vehicle I have ever owned. I did occasionally have to chain up in snow when we lived near Yosemite but it is worth the extra milage and reliability.

Ghosttown
06-17-2010, 2:52 PM
I'm gonna drive my 00' Silverado, with the 5.3, to the ground. I love that truck. With 179k on the clock it has had the fuel pump and an alternator, and that's it.

Psychophilly666
06-17-2010, 2:58 PM
Got a 96 Chevy 1500, 260,000 miles and running strong.

Yeah i guess i gotta add that I did an overhaul last year, 3 fuel injectors (v-6) , computer, and some wiring. I get about 17/18 mpg, or about 530 miles per 30 gal tank.

soaz
06-20-2010, 11:08 AM
Tacoma.
Both my brother and I drove ours to around 200k miles and did nothing but change the oil. Amazing trucks for reliability. Mileage was okay at 16-18.
I wouldn't consider anything else if cost were my main concern.

If cost is no issue a 2006 Dodge 4x4 3500 double cab short bed with a cummins diesel that can run on low sulfur diesel (everything newer needs ULTRA low sulfur diesel which means you can't go to Baja, ever!)

go with a tacoma though!

Wookie909
06-22-2010, 9:28 PM

I average 17mpg in my Titan and I'm not light on the gas pedal.

kwiksilver
06-24-2010, 9:11 PM
Best value for the dollar is a 3/4 ton 5 or 6 speed dodge cummins. Dana axles, nv tranny, 600 lbs of torque, 20 mpg. and comfy..

Grancuda
09-07-2010, 7:35 PM
You guys drive some new stuff. I drive a '72 GMC with a 350, 3 speed manual & 12 bolt rear. The thing is basic transportation that is reliable and gets decent mileage, 15-17 hwy, and is super cheap to repair. I don't get the newer truck thing, they are high to buy, high to repair, high to insure/tag. I have put 60k on mine in the past 2 years with very minimal repairs once I got it set-up(new carter afb, fuel lines, new GM starter & alternator, HEI distributer, auto meter gauges and had original radiator built). All this prep work to get it reliable was less than what it cost to title/tag a newer truck plus there is no payment. I drive mine every day and it did good last winter once I got some good at/mud tires for winter. To me newer trucks are a waste of money.

Roddy
09-07-2010, 9:52 PM
You guys drive some new stuff. I drive a '72 GMC with a 350, 3 speed manual & 12 bolt rear. The thing is basic transportation that is reliable and gets decent mileage, 15-17 hwy, and is super cheap to repair. I don't get the newer truck thing, they are high to buy, high to repair, high to insure/tag. I have put 60k on mine in the past 2 years with very minimal repairs once I got it set-up(new carter afb, fuel lines, new GM starter & alternator, HEI distributer, auto meter gauges and had original radiator built). All this prep work to get it reliable was less than what it cost to title/tag a newer truck plus there is no payment. I drive mine every day and it did good last winter once I got some good at/mud tires for winter. To me newer trucks are a waste of money.

Creature comforts,

I'm moving and have to get another truck. My last few have been high mile modern ones and the price of the parts kills you, I'm going early 80's or older this time and probably Chevy this time.

You have to spend a bit to get all the bells and whistles that a new truck has but if you can live without them that $ can go into the motor! (and the chopper fund)

rustrocket84
09-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Agree with ya on everything here.. its Ford's 6.0 thats a hot piece of garbage. The older 7.3s were fairly reliable, torquey engines.

My pops has a 90 F350 crew cab 4x4 long bed that is showing 350k miles. It has the pre powerstroke 7.3 that he has put an ATS turbo into. The only thing it has ever had fixed is the steering box, 35's that were 14 or 16 wide, the ac which he doesn't care about anymore living in Minnesota now, and he is on his 2nd clutch now. It has a 5 speed manual and still runs like a champ. I'm trying to get him to sell it to me. He drove it 2k miles to CA, rented a large trailer, and towed my 77 cherokee back to Mn with it 3 years ago. No problems.