PDA

View Full Version : 883-1200 kit recommendation

BlackCloudSalvage
02-23-2016, 10:10 AM
Any suggestions on who to purchase from? Things to lookout for that say "cheapy". Also any advice or lessons learned on doing the work? Don't forget to....? Make sure you don't....? Since you are there you might as well....cuz itll make it that much better!!! I have a good service manual. Plenty of experience on other motor work but this is my first V-twin. Thanks.

CarloFreeze
02-23-2016, 11:01 AM
NRHS or Hammer Performance. Follow the disassembly / reassembly procedures from your manual and observe the torque specs for everything. Work slow and pay attention.

It's also worth inspecting your valves and rockers since you'll have it apart. You didn't mention the mileage.

farmall
02-23-2016, 11:10 AM
The ultimate Sportster resource is xlforum. Spend some time there. IMO everyone should use multiple forums to hunt and compare information, and to find which source is most specialized in their subject of interest, be it chobbers, engines, machining, welding or fabrication.

The consensus there favors what CarloFreeze posted, but go there for (many) details. Homework is cheaper than parts.

docmel
02-23-2016, 11:19 AM
The ultimate Sportster resource is xlforum. Spend some time there. IMO everyone should use multiple forums to hunt and compare information, and to find which source is most specialized in their subject of interest, be it chobbers, engines, machining, welding or fabrication.

The consensus there favors what CarloFreeze posted, but go there for (many) details. Homework is cheaper than parts.

There's an ole saying: No replacement like displacement: Which I typically agree with, but not in this case: Just a 883-1200 conversion (pistons and jugs) is pretty straight forward, but you wont really feel an seat of the pants increase in performance. I recommend you do a realistic port your stock heads, get another other than stock carb, maybe increase valve size a tad, and get a mid grind cam. That way you get more mid/high range HP and dont loose streetability

If you want to go 883-120 though, you can get great perf gains, but again, with this conversion, add a mild port job, cam and carb upgrade, and you will like it. Just dont do the jug and piston upgrade alone, as many do. Otherwise, you will be dissapointed

BlackCloudSalvage
02-23-2016, 6:35 PM
Thanks!

Dragstews
02-23-2016, 7:48 PM
There's an ole saying: No replacement like displacement: Just a 883-1200 conversion (pistons and jugs) is pretty straight forward, but you wont really feel an seat of the pants increase in performance.

For the big bang for the buck....

Thunderstorm heads and matching pistons, cams, S&S Super-E carb, somewhat open-exhaust and good brakes.
(The last item is optional, but is strongly recommended .. ;) )