PDA

View Full Version : Tire/Chain Clearance on Ironhead sporty chop?

AlwaysLateForSomething84
02-22-2016, 12:47 PM
Hey everyone. I'm a bit of a N00B, trying to get this bike back together myself so please bare with me. I've got a 73 sportster that's hopefully just a few more steps away from being back on the road. I just got the chain set up on her today, and I'm noticing that the rear wheel (centered/aligned) is leaving me with barely 1/16" of space between the chain pins and sidewall of the rear tire.

I'm unsure how much space I should be looking for, taking in that I'm imagining the tire is going to swell a bit with some rider weight added to the bike (I'm around 200lb and was hoping to take the old lady out on if from time to time. I'm curious as to how much of a huge deal this is going to be before I take her out on the road. The bike is a newly fabbed rigid frame (stretched 4") with a king/queen seat. Am I going to chew through the sidewall and risk gutting a brand new tire (and possibly a nasty crash) when I'm mid turn?

Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping I don't have to worry about spacing out the rear sprocket, but I'd rather know that's the case now, than find out the hard (and at that point much more expensive) way.
Thanks!

image1
02-22-2016, 1:37 PM
should have more than that, something isn't setup right.

vonhelmet
02-22-2016, 1:46 PM
You might get a little more clearance by replacing your o-ring chain with a regular non o-ring one, they are a bit more narrow. You would just have to lube and clean the chain more often with the non o-ring one. I have an Evo sportster in a Paughco ridged frame and I don't have much more clearance than you. I am about 220 lbs, and I run 30 psi in rear tire and I check my chain adjustment often and I have never had a problem