PDA

View Full Version : Need knowledge....

unclebug47
02-20-2016, 7:54 AM
Do I need a title for a 56 kh engine? I don't know how Ohio titled them in 56.

FredoSNR
02-20-2016, 11:39 AM
http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35032

StinkyPete
02-20-2016, 2:57 PM
Ugh - good luck man...

Ohio requires a title, or if the bike is coming from a state which does not require a title then OH will require a registration. If you cannot provide those then you're only option is to file an appeal to the state to have a new title issued. First step is to apply for a title at the Columbus office with the understanding that it will be rejected. Once you get the rejection you can begin the appeal process. From the folks that I spoke with the speculation is that this is a bit of a long-shot.

Other option would be to get it titled in a state with less stringent rules and then transfer that to OH. From what I understand OH is not accepting titles from titling services.

I was planning a purchase for something up from Georgia that was not titled. After speaking with someone at my local DMV I was told that all I would need would be Bill of Sale and proof of vehicle road worthiness (an "inspection" of a plate on the bike). Since I could provide these I pulled the trigger. When I returned to the DMV after stopped at the license office for the "inspection" I had my required documents, but was informed that I would need either a title or a prior registration from the seller. I asked her to pull the lady who provided me with the original requirements (which I had her give me in writing) into our discussion to verify my story.

She brought over the lady and I handed over the written instructions. Well the woman I originally spoke with went dumb as a post and none of that mattered to the woman I was speaking with. It's in the book they pull for out of state vehicle registration. Despite my pleasant demeanor and gracious attitude they were completely inflexible. I got the information above when I started looking for alternate paths.

Bottom line - I will no longer look at something without a clear title. Ohio is very tough on titling.

I'd encourage you to call the state licensing bureau and talk through the process to see if anything has changed. My purchase wasn't worth the additional cost and time so I dumped it. You may feel different.

StinkyPete
02-20-2016, 2:58 PM
But sorry - to answer your original question, the title will be to the motor. You could always get a post-69 titled frame and drop the motor in, but it will be titled as the year of the frame.

Hope that helps.

BurnoutNova
03-08-2016, 10:26 AM
But sorry - to answer your original question, the title will be to the motor. You could always get a post-69 titled frame and drop the motor in, but it will be titled as the year of the frame.

Hope that helps.

That is questionable anymore also. In my state if the frame and motor numbers don't match on 70-up bikes they want to register it as an assembled vehicle. Then you have a 2016 title all of the sudden. The DMV seems to vary depending on where you are. If you buy a bike that is already titled you can get away with it, but if you get pulled over and they check your shit you might get your bike impounded. I've also heard that about riding up to Sturgis... They check the motor and frame numbers alot I guess.

Webrat
03-08-2016, 11:21 AM
I would go the "Vermont" method when no supporting paperwork is available.
There is a thread here somewhere on how it is done.
From what I know it is ok everywhere EXCEPT for Kommiefornia.