PDA

View Full Version : Shipping parts from CA to southern Ireland

Derry
02-17-2016, 4:40 AM
Hi could anyone tell me what the cost is to ship secondhand bike parts from CA and USA to IRELAND and a time frame thanks. Derry.

cggorman
02-17-2016, 7:52 AM
Would depend on the size and weight of the part as well as the method of transit. Lowest cost would be via ocean but could also take a couple weeks. Air is obviously faster, but would be more costly.

You can get your own shipping quotes from www.ups.com or www.fedex.com or www.usps.com DHL may also be an option. If the parts are very large or heavy, you'll want to use fedex freight or similar.

I don't know how strict Ireland customs is, but you'll want to make sure the seller properly identifies and documents everything on the shipping and customs paperwork. Any delay at customs could mean weeks or months and/or fines/taxes.

Nottso
02-18-2016, 7:53 AM
The time it will take is anybody's fucking guess. Seriously. I ship overseas almost daily. I use boxes that measure 10x5x5 for overseas and they almost all weigh less than 2 pounds. I use USPS First Class International Package as it's the least expensive.

Time wise, I've sent quite a a few to New Zealand and more often than not the buyer has had the package in his hands in 6 days. Literally, the other side of the world, in 6 days. When I ship to Canada, it often takes 2 to 3 weeks... and the state I live in shares a border with Canada. That sonofabitch is right next door.

Money wise, it's ugly, and just got uglier with the new year. My overseas packages were usually right around 18 bucks. Now it's 22.50. Also weight is critical, down to the fucking ounce. 1 pound, 11 ounces going to the UK is now the aforementioned 22.50. I currently have a guy over there wanting 2 of my parts. That package will weigh 2 pounds 5 ounces and the cost will be 34.50. So 10 more ounces cost 12 more dollars.

Also, the weight limit for First Class International is 4 pounds. Anything over that must go Priority Mail International and then the prices get really crazy. Many of my overseas customers say right off the bat "No UPS." UPS was (maybe still is) hitting buyers with an extra $50.00 bullshit fee to deliver their parts.

That's all I know, from personal experience. It can be daunting; but if it's going to be a regular thing, you'll get in a groove and it won't be so horrible.

andri
02-21-2016, 4:12 PM
This is pretty much like asking how much food costs.

Cruza
02-22-2016, 11:21 PM
Have to agree with all of the above ... especially the shipping cost ... what a joke ... now
US to Australia, normally 6-10 days [in my hands] max. for example my Baker DD5 6 days in my shed I recon Mark at Bakers put it on a Learjet.
I made 4 phone calls to Baker and save $1200 au, forget e-mails etc phone.
Most [85%] of my build parts came out of the US the fall of the Aussie $$$ & the rise in shipping not a chance of any more purchases.
Between 2014 - 15 I spent close to 9 grand in parts from the US and saved close to 3 grand ... thank you.
The import tax [customs] is another consideration; over here is $100 per $1000 on top.

A few items that came out of Canada .... don't hold your breath I recon the fuckers where swimming.
Take into consideration currency fluctuations and bank exchange rates & transfer costs ... more money they don't tell you about. It all adds up in the long run if your on a tight budget..