PDA

View Full Version : 7/8" controls on 1" bars - Advice on opening them up

SketchyBikes
02-16-2016, 9:27 PM
Ok, I got a Nissin MC that I want to use on my 1" bars. Sounds simple enough just open the clamp up a little, and BAM, you got it working....

Here's what I'm working with: http://www.hordpower.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=41

I can't post a pic right now, but as I am opening them up, I'm getting damn near the holes for the bolts to mount the sucker on the bars. I have been using the dermel method working around the ID of the clamp to open it up. I put some small washers to keep the clamp open a bit more than fully closed as I do this.

Even thought I keep thinking I am opening it up, the clamp just doesn't want to look like it matches the radius of the 1" bars. If I take more material off, I risk damaging the bolt holes.

Who has done this, and what is the best way. I don't want to mess up an expensive MC...

And I did read the Nissan MC posts, but nothing real specific to opening up the clamp.

ScottArcher
02-16-2016, 11:42 PM
Do you have some calipers? What's the opening at now on the clamp? If you're getting really close I'd just shave down the bars a little bit where the camp goes. If you're like 3/4 of the way there then only need like 1/32 more on the diameter and that means only taking 1/64 off the outside of the bars. That shouldn't hurt anything.

Buellbomb
02-17-2016, 3:43 AM
I put 7/8 stuff on my bike once by cutting the ends off my 1" bar and welding 7/8 ends on it. It worked well.

steffan
02-17-2016, 9:05 AM
your safest bet would be to have a machinist or someone with a mill do it. if your careful you can do it in a drill press and a 1in holesaw. youll want to shim the clamp side so that it will be able to clamp down tightly on the 1in tube and not be over sized. using a 1in end mill would be ideal but a hole saw will work.

SketchyBikes
02-17-2016, 8:05 PM
Do you have some calipers? What's the opening at now on the clamp? If you're getting really close I'd just shave down the bars a little bit where the camp goes. If you're like 3/4 of the way there then only need like 1/32 more on the diameter and that means only taking 1/64 off the outside of the bars. That shouldn't hurt anything.
I do have a set of calipers, I'll have to check where I'm at now and see. Just holding the clamp up to the bars it looks like there's a ways to go. I'll get out to the garage this weekend and check. We got a foot of snow yesterday...

SketchyBikes
02-17-2016, 8:07 PM
I put 7/8 stuff on my bike once by cutting the ends off my 1" bar and welding 7/8 ends on it. It worked well.

That's not a bad idea, but then I have to change my throttle and I was trying to avoid that. Either way I'm stuck changing something I think... I thought about just changing the bars to 7/8 and using shims on my bar clamp.

SketchyBikes
02-17-2016, 8:10 PM
your safest bet would be to have a machinist or someone with a mill do it. if your careful you can do it in a drill press and a 1in holesaw. youll want to shim the clamp side so that it will be able to clamp down tightly on the 1in tube and not be over sized. using a 1in end mill would be ideal but a hole saw will work.

I agree that is probably the best bet. I'll have to see if I can find someone local and we can clamp it really good in a mill and bore it out. Just an excuse to buy a mill (not in my budget...)

SketchyBikes
02-21-2016, 8:15 PM
Went to a buddies house and used his mill with a couple washers for spacers and a 1" end mill and they fit perfect. Kind of hard to clamp in the mill nice and level, but it got it done!

Motocrash
02-26-2016, 8:40 AM
I used a step bit to 1" many times. Worked like a charm.