PDA

View Full Version : What's the deal with grips and grip sleeves?

cggorman
02-11-2016, 11:13 AM
I want to get away from my H-D brand grips and get some rubber grips and a separate throttle sleeve. Thinking Biltwell whiskey sleeve and one of their rubber grip sets. Do the grips come with a bushing/sleeve for the clutch side or are there two different sizes? The throttle sleeve increases the diameter required for the grip on that side, correct? I just want to make sure I order the right things...

steffan
02-11-2016, 11:23 AM
any grips you buy will compensate for the throttle sleeve by being slightly bigger on one grip or they will be made of a material that will stretch.

cggorman
02-11-2016, 11:45 AM
Is the increase in diameter from stretching noticeable?

Is there a good choice among throttle sleeves or something to look for? I'll be using bar-end (inside the tube) mirrors if that matters.

boomboomthump
02-11-2016, 12:20 PM
I've never seen grips needing to be stretched unless you are using bicycle grips and stretching them.

The grips have the same OD for left/right. They will have differing ID's to compensate for the throttle sleeve. For example, grips for 1" bars will have one grip with 1" ID and the other will be 1-1/8" for the throttle tube. The outside are the same OD so that they feel exactly the same in your hands.

Some very old (40's/50's) setups are unique but I won't get into that since this isn't what you're asking about.

HedleyLamarr
02-11-2016, 1:20 PM
you should be able to cut the original HD grip off enough to not need to buy a new throttle tube.....and if that ends up not working for ya, at least it was free and worth a shot

cggorman
02-11-2016, 2:00 PM
Depending on budget and build timing, I may cut the end off my current grips to be back on the road by spring, but I'll replace them before fall regardless. I don't really care for them. Too fat and not grippy enough.

AbyssmalTailgate
02-12-2016, 11:41 AM
Good info for novices! I've been wondering the same thing myself!

shitsnack
02-12-2016, 12:22 PM
I use bmx grips, and I cant feel a difference in O.D. My $.02.

Slamgears
02-12-2016, 1:08 PM
Cut 'em off the stock sleeve. Little WD40 in the new grips and they'll slide right on. If you get rubber ones the'yre but the same size but they'll stretch over the tube.

cggorman
02-12-2016, 1:14 PM
Good thought. I'll have to see how my H-D grips are built. The sleeves are plastic and the grips are leather with chrome ferrules on the ends. Not sure how it's all held together.

some1else
02-12-2016, 2:38 PM
i use wd40 to remove grips,and small amount of gasoline to put on new ones as the gas evaporates quickly