View Full Version : Help me title a bike in NC

02-09-2016, 7:35 PM
I bought a bike thats not titled while i lived in Cali, now I am in NC and need info on how to title this bike. No history of a title from the past 2 owners. DMV was confused, im looking for info from anyone who has titled a custom build or lost title.....

02-09-2016, 8:05 PM

02-10-2016, 8:57 AM
================================================== ======
absolutely !!!

02-10-2016, 12:04 PM
Thank you!!!!!

02-12-2016, 4:05 PM
Getting a NC title is near impossible. However, if you have a friend in SC and the bike is at least 25 years old they have a "barn find" law that makes it pretty simple.

02-13-2016, 10:19 AM
Been there, done that in NC. But what we don't have is what paperwork do you have now?

1. Bill of sale only: Worthless in NC, UNLESS the state the bike came from is a bill of sale only state. (I beleive there are only 2-3 states left that do that: Alabama, Vermont, and maybe one other) Ca IS NOT one of them . If you have a CA title in your name, its easy/straight forward to get a NC title

2. If you built the bike, save EVERY receipt. And a MSO (If you have one): The more paperwork, the better when you present it to the state (In NC, the NC State Patrol will take the lead first on inspecting the bike to get a NC title. Key receipts the state looks for are receipts for the motor, frame and high priced items. And EVERY custom bike I built in NC, they did go to where I bought the motor and confirmed that it was sold to me)

3. You wil need to purchase Indeminity bond insurance for custom builds. Its a one time purchase that protects the state in case NC does issue you a title, and somewhere down the line, it was proven stolen so the state is protected in case it is sued. Last time I bought it was maybe 15 ears ago, and it was about $150

4. Take the COMPLETED and ready to run bike, all your paperwork, all your receipts, and all your state forms to an identified NC State Trooper inspector (Sometimes they will come to your house by appointment) Be sure the bike will pass ALL NC road inspection rules, or the trooper will just walk away.

5. Now here is the tricky part: Once all the paperwork and visual inspection is completed and accepted: If you have a POST '69 HD motor, but have a frame with NO numbers (like a custom build), you will be issued a state issued VIN. This new VIN will need to be stamped on the frame neck, and will have an ass ton of numbers. Once the numbers are stamped in the frame, the trooper will have to inspect again. If all is good, the trooper tells the NC DMV, and eventually you will get your new title in the mail, AFTER you pay what the state figures is a reasonable road tax fee based upon the states interpreted value of the bike, title and registration fees.

5. Lets say you have stocker OEM frame and OEM motor with OEM cases, whether it be pre or post 1969 HD, with no title (or bill of sale from a bill of sale only state). The process is different, and with no previous title, the process could be a real bitch in comparison

6. Be prepared mentally: Some of the Trooper inspectors can be real hard noses, with a no nonsense attitude. Just deal with it, get what they need as shit comes up, and stay in touch with them. The more you keep in touch means you are serious and aren't hiding shit

6. Dont trust a GD thing I just wrote, and triple check what the current requirements are yourself with the state

After having 2 bikes stolen in that state, I still hated the jump thru the hoops deal on getting bikes registered in NC, but understoof how it got that way: NC has a VERY high % of stolen bikes per year

02-13-2016, 11:28 AM
Link to SC "barn find" law? I've been here since 1985 and none of my bros including shop owners have ever heard of that.

02-13-2016, 8:48 PM
Link to SC "barn find" law? I've been here since 1985 and none of my bros including shop owners have ever heard of that.

Hell I've lived here for 59 years and that's the first I have heard of it.... I call BS......

02-15-2016, 4:05 PM
I titled a '70 Triumph in NC. All I had was a notarized bill of sale from Georgia. Frame and motor were different #'s so they used frame #. All I did was call the DMV and they sent a guy out to inspect it and take a photo ,after that I got a title in mail in about 3-weeks. Didn't seem like to much trouble too me. Been riding it about 4 years.

02-15-2016, 7:40 PM
Link to SC "barn find" law? I've been here since 1985 and none of my bros including shop owners have ever heard of that.

Law went into effect about 2 years ago.

Title is "conditional" meaning that it may only be valid in SC, but I know from experience that you can transfer to a title in NC. It's a couple of forms and a inspection by the patrol. Title will come in a couple of weeks.


If you need to title a vehicle, mobile home, or trailer that is 25 years old or older, and you are unable to obtain the previous title, you may apply for approval to title a vehicle. Requests for approval to title a motor vehicle, mobile home or trailer are only processed by mail in DMV headquarters and are done on a case by case basis.

The current owner of the vehicle must be a resident of South Carolina evidenced by a South Carolina credential, a mobile home housed in South Carolina or proof of legal presence in South Carolina (see Acceptable Forms of Identification for more information.)

Apply for approval to title by submitting the following:

1. Affidavit of Ownership, Form TI-021A, which must include the vehicle and current owner information, and a statement indicating how the vehicle was acquired to include in detail how, where and when the owner acquired the vehicle, who were the seller(s) and/or lien holder(s), the condition of the vehicle and any other information regarding the vehicle.
2. Photographs of the vehicle, mobile home, or trailer from all angles (photos will not be returned).
3. Vehicle Identification Verification for Title without Previous Title, Form TI-021B signed by a SCDMV official. The vehicle must be taken to a local DMV branch by the customer for an inspection if the customer wishes to obtain a South Carolina title. If a unique identifying number is not affixed to the vehicle, you will be required to apply for a special serial number from the Department – Application for a Special Serial Number, Form 401-A before proceeding with this request. If the vehicle is not operable at the time of inspection, you may be approved to obtain a title that is branded “not for road use” only. Once the vehicle is operable, it will need to be inspected before the “not for road use” brand can be removed and the vehicle can be registered.
4. Additional Requirements for Mobile Homes
a. A letter or receipt from the county treasurer’s office indicating property taxes are current for the mobile home.
b. Seven (7) years of property tax statements in the current owner’s name; or,
c. Insurance company records indicating the home has been insured in the owner’s name for the previous 7 years or more.
d. The insurance documents or property tax statements must include the mobile home’s vehicle identification number.

These documents should be submitted to SCDMV by mail at Post Office Box 1498, Blythewood, SC 29016-0024. Once the Department is certain that no previous title exists for the vehicle, or can be obtained, the Form TI-021A may be approved and you can apply for title using the approved Form TI-021A in lieu of the previous title in any SCDMV office. The approval to title is not proof of ownership and cannot be used to title in a jurisdiction other than South Carolina. You must meet all other titling requirements as outlined in this section, including payment of use taxes based on the purchase price of the vehicle, and title and registration fees.

02-16-2016, 8:15 AM
A notarized bill of sale from Ga is the same as a title. Its one of the few states that recognize a BOS as a title. So other states must as well: So its just that same as a title to title transfer. Ca is not a BOS state

02-16-2016, 8:20 AM
Thanks, mosten!

ll test the system with something not valuable and see how it works out.