PDA

View Full Version : Help with installing Ultima Single Fire Ignition 53-660 on 77 XLH

irontoph
02-08-2016, 8:32 PM
Hey all. I have 77 XLH1000 and have decided to install an Ultima Single Fire Electronic Ignition System in place of the points and condenser. I should mention that electrical/wiring is not my strong suit but I have a basic idea and am willing to take advice and learn and I have a good friend helping me go through most of it. I've got the better part of it figured out but the actual installation of the Ultima system has me a bit stumped. I got the Ultima system because it seemed pretty straight forward but I've been searching and searching for advice and am coming up pretty empty handed. I'm in the process of re-wiring the entire bike and stripping a lot of what won't be needed. I'll basically be running an automotive type ignition and won't have any switches on the bars or gauges (no high/low beam, no indicators, no kill switch, no horn, no start switch, no oil or gen indicator lights, no speedo, no tach). I'm trying to break it down to just the essentials and ditch the unnecessary crap. I'm fairly sure I know what wires need to go where but my questions are these...

1. Does this system retain the use of the mechanical advance mechanism or does the gold rotor that comes with the system replace the advance unit? or do I somehow need to use both?

2. Will the removal of all the switches and what not for the controls as I mentioned above change at all how the ignition system is wired to the coil and the ignition switch or will it still remain as it's described in the instructions?

3. The instructions state to make a mark on the engine cover near the center of the cam position sensor. I'm assuming this has something to do with the small and large lobes but that obviously turns as the wheel spins so what exactly is center? I currently have the small lobe where it should be at the position that would be coming up to the points contact if the points were still in use.

If anyone out there has any experience with installing this system and can help me out I would really appreciate it. A simple breakdown of the process would be a HUGE help if anyone could provide it. The Ultima instructions are fine for the wiring but for the physical installation of the system has me scratching my head a bit. Thanks!

Shovel52
02-08-2016, 9:47 PM
I am not familiar with the Ultima , but in general The replacement with the new rotor takes the place of the old mechanical unit..the microprocessor just takes over for the advancement of the timing...In general when it says mark the center
means that you want the rotor hitting the sensor at the same spot that the cam was opening your points..so
just find that spot..the sensor should be in that spot..... and the larger cam was opening your points so use
that one ......maybe stick the points backs in and observe..turn the engine and open the points and that should be the position of the sensor
and your mark..

Jessechop
02-08-2016, 10:15 PM
Simple.

First remove points, points plate and advance unit. Now you should see the end of your cam with a slot and threaded hole. Install the gold cup now with the slots lining up. Place ign unit over gold cup and secure with the stand offs. Just snug it up, we will tighten it later.

Now, run your wires. White to the center of your coil which needs to have 12V switched.Pink to the coil for rear cyl, and blue to the other terminal for the front cylinder (double check this, going off memory)

Green will run your tach and purple? to voes if you are running one.

Now. Flip ign switch on and off. You should see a red light flash on the ign unit if it is getting proper power.

Place motor on TDC by removing your timing plug and rotating the motor so your timing mark lines up in the hole. I am not familiar with a 77 so not sure if it is one dot, a bar or whatever, check your manual.

After you have the timing mark lined up and on TDC turn the ign switch on and rotate the plate untill the light turns on or off. You want to turn the plate to the point the light just turns off. At that point you can tighten it down.

That typically gets me real close. You can check and fine tune with a light after that to dial it perfectly.

irontoph
02-08-2016, 11:02 PM
Thanks that actually helps a lot. This being my first HD build and not being to knowledgeable on the electrical systems got me frustrated and over-thinking it. Guess it's all part of the learning process but really I appreciate the help.

If I'm not running a tach or VOES can I just fold those unused wires back into the harness from the ignition module and tape it off? Oh and any idea which of the six switches on the module should be turned on and which should be off?

Jessechop
02-09-2016, 4:46 AM
Yep, just tape those two wires back.

On the switches, #1 is voes so off, #2 and #3 is a combo for advance. I would start with both off. #4 and #5 are the Rev limiter again I would go with both off. I think that is 5000 rpm, maybe 5500. #6 is single or dual fire, so go to the single side.

It is all covered in the instructions, if you don't have a set I am sure I do. I have ran a bunch of these ignitions. Might be able to down load it also

irontoph
02-09-2016, 7:32 PM
Right on thanks. That's pretty much what I thought I just wasn't to sure if I had to have switch 4 or 5 on for the rev limiter. I suppose I could always try running it with one or the other on and see how the bike runs but if it runs smooth with those off I'll just leave it as is. I have a copy of the instructions, some of it just didn't make sense in my brain so I thought I'd try to reach out to get advice from those who have had success with this particular ignition module on an iron and I'm glad I did cause your explanation has made it so much easier to understand.

What about the software, is it absolutely necessary to have? My XLH is electric start only and the motor is mostly stock other than running an S&S Super E and drag pipes so it's not high performance or anything. I'll go for better cams at some point when I can afford it but not anytime in the near future. My priority right now is to just get it reliable and running smooth so I'll do the generator/regulator upgrade to a Cycle Electric and drop in an Anti Gravity 12 Cell Battry first. Not doing too much highway riding either but it will be a daily rider for the 10 mile round trip between work and home and for just hopping round town.

Jessechop
02-09-2016, 8:14 PM
The limiter won't change the way it runs. It just limits the rpms. You can set those anywhere

I don't use the software. I find the the curves they come with to work fine for me.

JantheMan
03-31-2018, 3:50 PM
Simple.

First remove points, points plate and advance unit. Now you should see the end of your cam with a slot and threaded hole. Install the gold cup now with the slots lining up. Place ign unit over gold cup and secure with the stand offs. Just snug it up, we will tighten it later.

Now, run your wires. White to the center of your coil which needs to have 12V switched.Pink to the coil for rear cyl, and blue to the other terminal for the front cylinder (double check this, going off memory)

Green will run your tach and purple? to voes if you are running one.

Now. Flip ign switch on and off. You should see a red light flash on the ign unit if it is getting proper power.

Place motor on TDC by removing your timing plug and rotating the motor so your timing mark lines up in the hole. I am not familiar with a 77 so not sure if it is one dot, a bar or whatever, check your manual.

After you have the timing mark lined up and on TDC turn the ign switch on and rotate the plate untill the light turns on or off. You want to turn the plate to the point the light just turns off. At that point you can tighten it down.

That typically gets me real close. You can check and fine tune with a light after that to dial it perfectly.

Jessechop, You sound like the guy I need to talk to. I have the same ignition setup, and have one question.
The thing has that tach wire, so am I going to need the little box to hook up an aftermarket tach?

tzienlee
03-31-2018, 4:24 PM
ONE bit of advice from someone who would be dead if I didn't have one on several occasions,.....
..................... FIT A KILL SWITCH !!!................................
if not a hidden one on the handlebars with internal wiring, somewhere that wouldn't be a struggle to reach if ya about the crash, drive off a cliff or get hit by a crashing F104g,.......when ya hands are generally glued to the Bars,
if ya don't care about ya life then fair enough, go without,....$00,02