PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Suzuki LS 650, fuel pouring out of drain tube

JKJ
05-29-2010, 7:56 AM
So my wife and I got out for a ride the other day [the savage is her bike] and I notice fuel coming out of her airbox drain tube. We cut the ride short and get the bike home, I remove the carb and give it a good clean out and make sure the float is correct. Put it back together and starts up fine, no gas coming out of drain hose.....go down this morning and turn the gas on and gas again starts pouring out of the drain tube....As soon as I turn off the gas the leaking stops....I'm using a basic on/off valve for a petcock, is it possible that this valve is supplying too much fuel and is overfilling the carb? I thought that was the function of the float?? Any help would be greatly appreciated, I want to get her back on the road. Thanks!!!

NHMike
05-29-2010, 8:00 AM
Sounds like you may need to clean the carb. Same thing happened on my Vulcan and that was the cure.

Texas1lunger
05-30-2010, 6:01 AM
Ok there is no vent tube that comes from the air box I can only assume you mean the vent for the carb. There are two tubes infact and if one is plugged somehow dirt, grime ans the like it will make the other one leak gas they both have to be clear and also they must be higher than the carb. Under the tank is the idea spot. Since you said you could see it leaking leads me to believe that tis is you problem. Also you said you had a on off pet cock and not the stock if this is correct i would throw the stock one back on if it is a stocker check to make sure it is not in the " prime" position this will also lead to gas leak. Pm me if you have any problems.

Mario13
05-30-2010, 7:36 AM
mine used to do that when it was cold outside. replaced the float needle and seat and all was good. just be carefull with the pin holding the float in. dont use to much force to get it out or bad things will happen. also test the float while you have it out to make sure it is not leaking by putting it in some gas to see if it stays afloat. good luck

JKJ
05-31-2010, 6:59 PM
Hey Mario13,
Thanks for the input I cleaned the carb again and the float seems to be floating fine...
Texas1lunger,
The drain hose that comes out of the bottom of the airbox is what I mean.. I am familiar with the two vents on the carb and that they must be clear. The gas is entering the carb, flowing out of the carb, through the plastic boot that connects the carb to the airbox. Down the inside of the airbox and out the drain tube on the bottom of the airbox.... Everything seems to be in order with the float, I adjusted it within specs and checked the needle [appeared ok] I couldn't change the seat though because the small screw that secures it is stripped out [previous owner] so I ordered a new petcock and hopefully this will fix the problem....Thanks for the input, I appreciate it!