PDA

View Full Version : Welding machine

biker85
11-04-2015, 8:58 PM
What affordable machines would you guys recommend to work on frames I was thinking a tig machine and mig machines any advice

BuddhahoodVato
11-04-2015, 10:37 PM
Lincoln 210,
just bought one.

hardrock785
11-05-2015, 8:36 AM
hobart 140

brownthumb
11-05-2015, 8:55 AM
I picked up an HTP inverting 221 last winter... Well worth the money IMO... cheaper than a miller and still has some awesome features..

StinkyPete
11-05-2015, 9:52 AM
I like the Hobart 140. What's your budget?

farmall
11-05-2015, 10:27 AM
The budget question matters most. OP is in PA where used industrial machines should be easy to find at reasonable prices. Their advantage is plenty of power and high reliability. If you aren't going jogging with them on your back the weight is IMO irrelevant and you can always weld up a kickass dolly or cart.

https://geo.craigslist.org/iso/us/pa

This thread can't duplicate the fuckton of detailed welding machine info on

http://weldingweb.com/forum.php?

This is a fucking bargain. It's a rebadged Miller AB/P and they are famous for durable awesomeness. I have it's larger Miller 340 brother. They weigh about 1000lbs so bring a trailer. Many people buy little TIGs for much more money and regret it later. You cannot turn up amps you don't have. These will actually run off a 50A breaker but not at max output. I've been running my 340 that way for years out of laziness. Plenty of info on Weldingweb and Miller forums and you can download the Miller manual. Parts such as pedals etc are common and easy to find. It is the size of a small fridge but doesn't have delicate circuit boards to die expensively. You can check out some of Zapster's work with a similar Miller on Weldingweb if you like purty TIG work.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/tls/5288493148.html

Winter is coming and you should be able to buy gear cheep. I suggest posting any makes/models of welder you are checking out at Weldingweb, the Miller forums, or here but the first two are best.

I get my gas cylinders via Craigslist and auctions. Many threads on the above forums about how to buy used cylinders that you can exchange locally. Do NOT rent.

It's easy to end up with too many welders, if there is such a thing, but I hate moving shit so when I score one it goes someplace convenient.

poormans
11-05-2015, 2:55 PM
everlast tig welder look on ebay 140 amp machine $350 shipped. there are videos on youtube that compare it to a miller. check it out

biker85
11-05-2015, 7:36 PM
I am on a tight budget but i but I just want to see what's out there and like the hear what other people are using to get an idea

BuddhahoodVato
11-05-2015, 7:49 PM
Whats a Budget, Framall right, but size weight are factors I need to always attend too. So a Lincoln 210 is what I scored along with aHypertherm plasma, cuts metal like a hot knife threw skin.
I am on a tight budget but i but I just want to see what's out there and like the hear what other people are using to get an idea

Whoremonger
11-06-2015, 2:01 PM
Buddahhoodvato which model hypertherm did you get?
Gracias

biker85
11-07-2015, 12:29 PM
At poormans is that everlasting capable of welding aluminum also

funfool
11-07-2015, 7:38 PM
I also have the same basic question, but willing to give up tig and just accept mig.
I dont have access to 220, I need 110. (pretending)
I am a carpenter and just now do I have a desire to weld. What if I use the machine once a year and that is all? .... and already 50 years old?
I want to use a welder to build a motorcycle frame using tubing but also a front end using dom. I will not use it for anything else I know of.
And at 50, I have no plans to hang around the shop and build more bikes, I want to ride the one bike I just built.

Looking, the 140 seems to be the beast, northern tool sells rebuilt units for $300 ... I think is a good deal, but what if it breaks? It has a 3 month warranty?
It seems to me, a guy wants at least a 140, but they also want a name brand that they can go and buy new parts for in the future.
I am thinking that Harbor Frieght has something rated about 140 and only $100.
I read a few that used one, biggest problem was wire feed speed and no real options to correct it if it was to fast or to slow.
That is called operator error and you just weld to the speed of the wire coming at you.

Sometimes I am tempted to run to habor frieght and buy a cheap welder that I only want to use a few times.
Something tells me that a rebuilt quality machine for $300, is about the best low end machine I will get.

Never fails for just $50 more you can gain a lot, but this site seems to have a good selection.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_welding

farmall
11-07-2015, 8:14 PM
Welding is insanely handy. I'm 56 and barring misfortune I'd have about a twenty-year span for ROI on equipment bought today. That smashes cost/year down to "not shit' and quality equipment loses little value or if bought at the right price can be resold for profit. Tools create capabilities and capabilities get used. (I'll be hunting a used CNC knee mill next year. )

I'd get the Hobart. Same parent company as Miller. Shitty MIG machines will ENSURE you don't use them much either by failure or frustration.

Lincoln 210 + Hypertherm plasma is a tasty combination. Hypertherm are famous for quality and customer service.

biker85
11-08-2015, 12:32 PM
Farmall I'm going to look in to Hobart thanks

biker85
11-08-2015, 12:57 PM
What are some other tools that will help out in building a custom bike i know sockets wrenches anything else

Dragstews
11-08-2015, 1:05 PM
Tig's are nice....

Here's mine ... (Well, will be after 9 more payments)

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk140/dragstews/pistons013.jpg (http://s279.photobucket.com/user/dragstews/media/pistons013.jpg.html)

biker85
11-08-2015, 1:24 PM
How much was it

farmall
11-08-2015, 1:41 PM
How much was it

More than you want to spend but they are top of the line machines. Remember buying the machine is not buying the practiced skill to use it so expect to train thoroughly. Miller has good free videos etc.

You can check the Miller site for retail pricing then cut the best deal you can from whatever seller you choose. Keep in mind that a friendly relationship with a (good) local welding supply can make your life easier. Check welding forums (I hammer that because it SHOULD be hammered) to see if anyone has specific recommendations for your area because local personnel make a welding supply what it is.

https://www.millerwelds.com/en/equipment/welders/tig-gtaw/syncrowave-250-dx-tig-welders

You can TIG steel with a scratch start rig and a machine like a used Dialarc, Idealarc, or that Airco above for not much money.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?38106-For-The-Can-I-TIG-With-My-Welder-People

Scratch-start TIG does billions of dollars of boiler, nuke plant, and pipe jobs every year.

biker85
11-08-2015, 1:57 PM
Wow the price is a little high

funfool
11-08-2015, 2:17 PM
What are some other tools that will help out in building a custom bike i know sockets wrenches anything else

I am going to say a vertical milling machine will come in handy many times during the process. I have not built a custom bike from scratch.
My last bike 15 years ago was a 1969 hard tail triumph 650, that I bought. I guess blame it on mid life crisis and doctors retiring me disabled. I just have to get out and ride again, this one I want to build.

Here is a cheap harbor freight milling machine I have, along with a small hobbyist lathe that will mill items up to 12" long. I will need to take my time using them and go real slow to not burn up the motors etc, but can mill quite a bit of the bike myself ... I think.
But the vertical mill is like a fancy drill press, the table moves side to side, back and forth. You can make slotted holes with it by moving the table. Just drill a hole at each end of the slot, then switch the bit to a fly cut and you move the table back and forth dropping it a litle at a time to complete the slot. Or you can drill at odd angles. A good quality one you can rotate the table and cut circles.
The possibilities are endless with what you can do. Of course you also may want a nice lathe.

Dragstews
11-08-2015, 2:36 PM
I am going to say a vertical milling machine will come in handy.

Whoa....!!!

Did we just do an 180..???
Thought the talk was about welders....

funfool
11-08-2015, 2:52 PM
It was a 180 turn yes, but the original poster seemed to have the welder figured out and asked what other tools besides a welder would come in handy.

Reason why I posted off topic, because the op moved the topic.

biker85
11-08-2015, 2:59 PM
Yes I got the welding machines figured out sorry I just thought it would have been better to post here instead of making a new post thanks funfool I will look in to that

Dragstews
11-08-2015, 3:08 PM
Yes I got the welding machines figured out

What do you have in mind for a welder..??

biker85
11-08-2015, 3:21 PM
And Hobart 190 230v fluxcore/mig welder

biker85
11-08-2015, 3:23 PM
And the ironman 230 mig welder

funfool
11-08-2015, 3:24 PM
Just to toss it out there and more off topic. Do a search for customizeIT, he has a few threads here of building bikes, he does quality work.
Just saying you will come away from the thread learning something, and knowledge is the best tool you can have.

biker85
11-08-2015, 3:41 PM
Thanks funfool much appreciated

poormans
11-08-2015, 4:11 PM
not the 140 machine but they do sell others that do. look for ac~dc unit

farmall
11-09-2015, 4:58 PM
The way to get deals on lathes and mills (I suggest getting a mill first) is to hunt medium-sized (or large if you have room) used industrial equipment which is often dirt cheap compared to smaller equipment all the hobbyists with no room or who are unsure how to move them overpay for. Tools that make parts and tools rock.

They are good for much more than mere mosickle construction. Practical Machinist and other machinist forums have plenty of equipment info. Google "moving a Bridgeport" for an interesting variety of examples.

Here's how I move 'em. I'll be doing more for my bros since once you figure it out it's not difficult. The width of my straddle dolly and pipe outrigger setups are the main things it seems I do differently than the peeps whose examples inspired me: http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43779

biker85
11-13-2015, 7:05 PM
Quick question one thing I am worried about is the electricity bill when welding any suggestions

farmall
11-15-2015, 7:56 AM
The bill isn't shit. You aren't doing production welding on heavy plate.

Hardtailtim
11-15-2015, 10:28 PM
I picked up an Eastwood tig about 3 months ago, about half the price of a low level Miller or Lincoln and I've been amazed at what it can do! Runs on either 220 or 110, and actually functions well even on 110. I had never tig welded before purchasing this machine but had welded a bit with other types. I picked mine up for about 750 which is what you will spend for a mig machine from the top brands and can make some very clean and strong welds with it! Yes it has slightly less max penetration than a Miller or Lincoln, but unless you plan on welding some 1/2 inch plates on your bike somewhere (which you could even get accomplished if you know what you are doing) you will be able to do just about everything you need to to to build a bike for half the price of a professional set up. Oh and they sell mig welders as well, and if they work as good as this one does then you won't need another machine anytime soon! Oh yeah by the way, it came with a 30 day money back guarantee and a 3 year warranty that I've read is very good! Check out Eastwood for sure!