PDA

View Full Version : So, how many of you actually wear a chain wallet?

djturnz
05-20-2010, 5:07 AM
Of course that is the stereotype, a chain wallet either means biker or redneck. I wore one in high school, but it was more of a skater thing. Chain down to my knee. A regular chain and a "bicycle" chain. People used to constantly touch the bike chain to see if it was greasy.

I still have a chain wallet, but I don't wear it much anymore. It doesn't fit with my jobs, so I stopped wearing it all together.

I was looking at the "Pics of Riders" thread and saw a couple and it made me curious as to how many rock the chain drive wallet.

Just wondering how many of you actually wear one regularly.

beanhead78
05-20-2010, 6:25 AM
this is an odd question.

djturnz
05-20-2010, 6:31 AM
Perhaps it is, that's why I started it in the Junk Pile. Isn't this the "anything goes/ off topic" section? There are many weird question threads in here. Just a thought I had, no real deep reasons, just a thought. People are free to click or not.

StoneHead
05-20-2010, 6:42 AM
Shit I do. I wear an old camel wallet I got with camel cash about.... wow 20 or so years ago and it's just now gettin broke in. I did wear it without the chain for a while though.

NHMike
05-20-2010, 6:46 AM
I've worn one for years.

LowbrowCustoms
05-20-2010, 7:09 AM
I have since high school too. It has saved my wallet a few times when it worked its way outta my pocket!

MadRiverMoCo
05-20-2010, 8:00 AM
where my wallet in the front pocket no no dice on the chain or the longer wallet

NickPapageorgio
05-20-2010, 8:03 AM
I wore one in high school cause I thought it made me a bad ass. Always seemed to get hung up on shit getting in/out of vehicles or whatever. I've since traded it in for a regular wallet.

I do have the massive, janitor key ring hanging from my belt though. I used to snicker at my old man for the key ring on his belt, but damn if it ain't where I keep mine now too.

Remember, if it takes you 30 minutes or more to re-organize your key ring...you might be a redneck.

mattdubs
05-20-2010, 8:11 AM
I still wear mine. Not the long ass one I wore in highschool, now it's to catch my shit when it falls out.

killtheking
05-20-2010, 8:26 AM
i rock the keys on a dog chain clip. used to have the wallet chain in school but i just stopped. no real reason. i even still use a canvas velcro wallet. pimp

BullDog
05-20-2010, 8:35 AM
Yep, I wear the chain. I ain't figured out if I'm a biker yet or just a redneck or just makes the wallet a little harder to lose.

Parrot76
05-20-2010, 8:55 AM
Of course that is the stereotype, a chain wallet either means biker or redneck. I wore one in high school, but it was more of a skater thing. Chain down to my knee. A regular chain and a "bicycle" chain. People used to constantly touch the bike chain to see if it was greasy.

I still have a chain wallet, but I don't wear it much anymore. It doesn't fit with my jobs, so I stopped wearing it all together.

I was looking at the "Pics of Riders" thread and saw a couple and it made me curious as to how many rock the chain drive wallet.

a lot of people wore chain wallets when i was growing up, including punk rockers and skinheads. I had my wallet fall out of my pocket and get lost for a few days once, thats all it took for me to get a chain wallet. The last one i had lasted about 12 years and i havent been able to find a decent one since. Now i check my back pocket for my wallet at least every 90 seconds

NHMike
05-20-2010, 9:19 AM
When people ask why I have it, I tell them it's part of the "Bad Ass" Certification, I HAVE to have it.

I'm a Certified Bad Ass

steffan
05-20-2010, 9:33 AM
i had a chain on my wallet....back in 1994.

CMA406
05-20-2010, 10:31 AM
riding last week i looked down and saw my wallet swinging from the chain bangin the pipes.....would have been a goner if i didnt have the chain....pretty dam functional if youy ask me...

jwhite
05-20-2010, 10:57 AM

Dude you're weird.
Nothing wrong with that. Just saying.

ridemore16
05-20-2010, 11:55 AM
a lot of people wore chain wallets when i was growing up, including punk rockers and skinheads. I had my wallet fall out of my pocket and get lost for a few days once, thats all it took for me to get a chain wallet. The last one i had lasted about 12 years and i havent been able to find a decent one since. Now i check my back pocket for my wallet at least every 90 seconds

get in touch with Jarod (Bassman on here)...makes kick ass wallets at great prices

Tikipunx
05-20-2010, 12:07 PM

http://hatedoftheworld.bigcartel.com/

hugodv01
05-20-2010, 1:41 PM
Traded up my wallet for a murse. Just slapped a skull on it. No need for a chain.

djturnz
05-20-2010, 2:37 PM
Like I said, no more chain, but since it was mentioned, my keys hang on a carabiner. Usually on my belt loop and stuck in my pocket.

BasterdChad
05-20-2010, 3:33 PM
I started wearing them in high school. The "skaters" (or they claimed to be, I don't remember seeing anyone skating) told me I couldn't wear it because I wasn't a skater. I wore it any way. Wore it for years but removing the chain for work became a hassle. I recently switched to a front pocket wallet. I carry the minimal amount of shit I need in it and it has a magnetic clip to keep it in my pocket when I ride. I also don't have to sit on a bulky ass wallet anymore.

Reject
05-20-2010, 3:39 PM
Still using the same wallet and chain for almost 10 years now. Wallet is still in good condition, but the miles on the chain has given it "character".

PsYcHoBiLLyRocKeR
05-20-2010, 4:01 PM
Been Chaining it for at least fifteen to twenty years, different styles over the years, long chains, multi chains, short chains, long flat wallents, short tri-folds...etc...but lately short chain short tri-fold with the Union Jack...

ditto
05-20-2010, 4:07 PM
yep, chain wallet since school days and still have it - the same one - its gettig kinda tired, the snaps dont really make their sound anymore - and it falls open alot but never to the ground. I need to replace it, but the chain will stay. It attaches to a hole i drill in all of my belts with a dog chain and clasp - my keys are all on dog chain clasps too so i can interchange or link them together and never have to have anything in my front pockets (I hate shit in my front pockets) except a comb. Ive placed my comb in my front left pocket for as many years as Ive had my chain wallet. and my (visible) knife goes in my left front pocket. It also has been there since middle school. Its got grease residue on it, but thats also been there since as far back as i can remember. I have grease in my slicked hair which (like all of these things) has come and gone many many times in the fad world - im a survivor motherfuckahhhz. or maybe just slightly OCD. If any one of these things is missing I feel incomplete and touch myself nervously until I find the missing part and put it back where it belongs. I change my socks and underwear everyday, and usually my tshirt - but im known to where a pair of dickies far too many days in a row and my vans need to be replaced.

Sawbones
05-20-2010, 4:11 PM
I usually only rock a chain wallet when I'm wearing my long Dickies shorts.

66triumph
05-20-2010, 4:43 PM
I usually only rock a chain wallet when I'm wearing my long Dickies shorts.

from wal-mart....

-A.

motoguru
05-20-2010, 5:05 PM
I wore one in high school after losing my wallet 13 dozen times while riding bmx. Now I don't., cuz my riding jacket has zipper pockets.

Doubleclutch
05-20-2010, 6:32 PM
Yep I been chaining sense my dad passed on when I was 18 and he gave me his wallet. I'm going to be 46 in June so you do the math.

beanhead78
05-20-2010, 7:19 PM
ok i guess ill play since i have nothing better to do. when i was twelve i started doing shit like mowing lawns and paper routes to support my skateboarding habit. my mom was stoked that i was working so she bought me a harley davidson wallet with a chain to put my money in. ive had that wallet in my back pocket for twenty years. but since ive had it i always put it upside down so the chain tucks in my pocket. i cant stand it when i see someone with a bunch of shit hanging off them, reminds me of office space. flare. true story, yesterday i sat on my picnic table to retwine my weedwhacker and had my chain hanging out for some reason, went to stand up and almost ate shit cause i was stuck. and yes to the op this is an odd question

LuckyMan05
05-20-2010, 7:59 PM
Hell yea i do! Lost my wallet in daytona two years ago on my bike

killjoy408
05-20-2010, 11:52 PM
I wore them since 7th grade circa 92 with my baggy think pants and grind king shirts. and yes, I did skate.... for 12+ years. best frontside pop shovit tailgrabs off of hips and over garbage cans in east side san jose.

CMA406
05-21-2010, 1:07 AM
I wore them since 7th grade circa 92 with my baggy think pants and grind king shirts. and yes, I did skate.... for 12+ years. best frontside pop shovit tailgrabs off of hips and over garbage cans in east side san jose.

LMAO, i always swore i had the best slapshot west of the mississippi in 6th grade....

Sighless
05-21-2010, 11:11 AM
I wear one; but it's function over style. Easy to loose a wallet, hard to loose a foot of chain (have any of you tried to replace your documents? huge pain). I live in NE and the wallet is camouflage and Velcro, so I guess I fall in the redneck category.

MadDog
05-21-2010, 1:02 PM
Chain wallet since school in the 80s, although i did have hemp cord instead of chain for a while on Dead tour. Clip the keys on too. Not a fashion thing at all, I look like a fucking janitor. Fuck losing the keys and wallet though, those things are a bitch to replace. I might be a redneck, hell, I might be a lot of things!

Brandon
05-21-2010, 2:32 PM
what the hell. Yup i wear one all the time but i gota say my chain is cut down to a lenght that it just reaches from the pocket to the front loop. Mine is Function over fashion. If you are over the age of 12 and wear two or more chains on your wallet, or the chain is longer than your leg, or the chain looks like it would hold Michael Vicks pitbull to a tree i gota say your teetering on D-BAG status...........That is all

Speedfiend
05-21-2010, 2:46 PM
I'm so badass, I have a chain on my fanny pack!

number1son
05-21-2010, 5:11 PM
I wore one in high school when I was rebeling against the grungers,skaters,and preppy's had the classic leather police jacket to match.Then I quit for a few years,lost my wallet with a grand worth of rent money in it,so as a joke my wife bought me a 9" snap wallet with a chain and a tooled confederete flag on it from a leather vendor at cedar point. the wallet was nice so I threw the chain away and used it without the chain for two years. I began riding and started using it in chained mode,so I don't have to do the pocket swipe every few minute.,I've had it for 12 years and had to do some restiching last year,and the flags long gone fell off like six years ago, from scraping my channel locks on it putting them in my back pocket.
I only wear the chain when Iam riding just like my leather jacket.

Anybody ever gas up with a credit card and accidently lose grip of the wallet while unsnapped and spill all your personal effect's all over the place,thats fun. It only happened once, I now keep a firm grip on it.

hanshan29
05-22-2010, 6:30 AM
Had one for 15 years or more now since I was a kid. A buddy gave it to me when he didn't want it anymore. I broke the chain when i was 18 and got it caught up in a park bench while trying to flee the cops for something stupid. Didn't replace it till 3 months later in a new city when I got pick-pocketed and lost everything. Took me MONTHS to replace all my paperwork. The next wallet had a chain and I'll never go back. Pure function at this point. The chain is just long enough to put my wallet in my lap or sweater pocket when I sit down in my truck or anywhere really. I can ride all the choppers, build all the kustom kars and play all the metal in the world and still never qualify as a badass though so I'm gonna have to say it's a bit of a lad(canadian redneck) thing.

KawiDave
05-22-2010, 7:43 AM
I had an Old Timer pocket knife from the 70's that I always kept in my back pocket next to my wallet. Long story short I have since replaced that knife with another one just like it from e-bay and I attached a chain to it. I get all kinds of funny looks when someone asks to barrow it.

nocer1
05-22-2010, 7:49 AM
braided leather has replaced my chain, scored them in japan couple years ago.

geekdublD
05-23-2010, 9:58 AM
i've been wanting to switch to chain for a while now. got a tri-fold that's full of cards, mutiple registration cards, etc. , looks like george costanza's wallet on seinfeld, remember that episode?

my problem is, i feel too old to do it now. plus, i got a couple bud's that rock it hard since way back in the day when fugazi was on top. i feel like i would be riding their jocks, you know?

what do you guys think? should i make the switch and get the chain wallet, and truly be happy, or just stick with what i know?

thanks in advance,

confused in va.

primer
05-23-2010, 11:49 AM
take the plunge dude,it sound's like your packin' enough trash to get one for all
four pocket's,then you can cross the chain's for the extra groove factor,you be da
mofo fo sho,yeah man.Or you could just keep doing what your doing,wishing you had
those chains,did that help????

keithb
05-23-2010, 1:14 PM
Wore one in high school just like all the other misfit metalheads, especially since the school started telling us we couldn't wear them. Gave it up years ago, I don't keep much in my wallet and I keep it in my hip pocket (instead of the back pocket) so it's pretty tough to lose.

StoneHead
05-23-2010, 7:05 PM
Go ahead man. I doubt your friends will rib ya much, and you don't necessarily have to use a chain,

I have friends who have braided leather, nylon straps and other assorted crap to hold them onto your belt if they drop.

There's also a guy or two on here who make them, and while they might be a bit pricey, the workmanship is well worth it and it will last decades.

Good Luck

jwhite
05-23-2010, 8:42 PM
i've been wanting to switch to chain for a while now. got a tri-fold that's full of cards, mutiple registration cards, etc. , looks like george costanza's wallet on seinfeld, remember that episode?

my problem is, i feel too old to do it now. plus, i got a couple bud's that rock it hard since way back in the day when fugazi was on top. i feel like i would be riding their jocks, you know?

what do you guys think? should i make the switch and get the chain wallet, and truly be happy, or just stick with what i know?

thanks in advance,

confused in va.

Dude, we've had this conversation how many times now???
I told you, do what you want man, it's your life. But please quit sweatin' my nuts. I told you I don't care if you "rock" the chain wallet. It's pretty much standard issue regalia if you're going to ride with our Krew. I just ask that you lose the 3ft. hemp rope you've got tied to it. That shit is lame and since we haven't followed Phish since like 2007, totally NOT COOL. Email me tomorrow and I'll send you a link to the site where I got mine.

Thanks,
J

geekdublD
05-23-2010, 9:10 PM
Dude, we've had this conversation how many times now???
I told you, do what you want man, it's your life. But please quit sweatin' my nuts. I told you I don't care if you "rock" the chain wallet. It's pretty much standard issue regalia if you're going to ride with our Krew. I just ask that you lose the 3ft. hemp rope you've got tied to it. That shit is lame and since we haven't followed Phish since like 2007, totally NOT COOL. Email me tomorrow and I'll send you a link to the site where I got mine.

Thanks,
J

jwhite, i was hoping this thread would slide under your "gay thread radar", but once again i've underestimated you!

while your response was a little rude and uncool, i'm smart enough to know that it's late sunday night, and you've probably been hitting the bottle hard, getting ready for a big day at the office tomorrow hiding them tat's behind that long sleeve white collar and tuckin the chain up in them khaki slacks. it's cool though, i'll hit you up.

sleep tight, tri-fold fo life nigga!

the rest of you guys were very helpful.

EnglandStGarage
05-23-2010, 9:46 PM
i grew up on a skateboard and am still down to skate but didn't get a wallet chain till i went through a real quick bmx phase when i was like 13. jumping bikes by railroad tracks n some guy wrapped one around his fist and beat this shit out of this guy who pushed a kid in a big dirt hole. i thought it was super badass and made one out of one of those choke chain dog collars. i stopped wearing it when i started working on cars. i was always hitting it on nice paint.

haha didn't read the above before this. kinda funny.

reverendpk9
05-23-2010, 9:56 PM
Started rocking one in 91 and done it ever since. We wore them for fighting (not to many punks in williamsburg Va. So you had to fight for blue hair and mohawks). Came in handy as a bouncer for years(drunks trying to pick your pocket). I rock a big ol' honking blinges out jesus piece hanging from it for "going out" just to keep the straights going wtf. Do what you want.

justinspace
05-23-2010, 11:39 PM
ffs...really?

djturnz
05-24-2010, 5:20 AM
Another option besides that chain, hemp, and leather would be a 550 cord wrap. 550 is also a good thing to have on hand incase you need to make a repair, tie something down, tie up your old lady.

Lots of people make "survival bracelets" out of 550 cord, just so they always have 10 or 20 feet of it on hand.

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo350/haegl1962/DSCF0394.jpg

jwhite
05-24-2010, 6:43 AM
Another option besides that chain, hemp, and leather would be a 550 cord wrap. 550 is also a good thing to have on hand incase you need to make a repair, tie something down, tie up your old lady.

Lots of people make "survival bracelets" out of 550 cord, just so they always have 10 or 20 feet of it on hand.

http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo350/haegl1962/DSCF0394.jpg

I like this. But can you smoke it??

mikeyfrombc
05-24-2010, 12:51 PM
where,s some good places to find a decent wallet i want on for the slimness of the wallet i hate the ones that bi or tri fold they end up over a 1 1/2" thick at times and become a real pain in the butt when sitting for long durations

bhead1968
05-28-2010, 8:21 PM
got to comment here.... still got my wallet (harley bike wallet with orange HD wing on the outside) that I got when I was 8, (late 70's). Dont wear it all the time but i do when I ride, love it!

Coco
06-03-2010, 2:01 PM
this is an odd question.

No doubt.

Everyone knows hip packs are back in style so why would you want a wallet chain?

This needs to be merged with the Dickies shorts thread.

Kill me.

ditto
06-03-2010, 5:38 PM
No doubt.

Everyone knows hip packs are back in style so why would you want a wallet chain?

whoa whoa back up buckaroo! what do you mean BACK in style? Ive been slingin a trannysack since before you whippersnappers had yer frst wiff o pussy!

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p71/blackmopar06/fannypack.jpg

ditto
06-03-2010, 5:40 PM
shit sorry guys, my gramps got a hold of my password - he gets all pissed off when people takk shit about buttbags!

primer
06-03-2010, 5:46 PM
uh huh,yeah sure ditto,hehehe

jason43
06-08-2010, 1:47 PM
Chain wallet has saved my ass a handfull of times. I always wear it when I'm on a bike.

ditto
06-08-2010, 1:57 PM
Chain wallet has saved my ass a handfull of times. I always wear it when I'm on a bike.

dude yer late - ive established that fanny packs (admittedly we need a cooler name) are far superior and my grandfather has shown them to be way more badass (plus a cool boner hider when the mu mu chicks are flockin) no that is NOT my grandma!

so my friend I see your chain wallet and raise you 1 asspack and a banana hammock to boot.

muthafuckahhhh

Allen
06-08-2010, 7:17 PM
I used to have a pal named Steve. Back in the day when Fenders (Long Beach) was still open, before that other South Bay Skin dude burned it down and whatever, when they had punk shows every weekend, we all went to a Suicidal Tendencies (and who knows, probably the gay TSOL too with the feathered hair, I can't remember). Any how, I think FFF and the C1 Family was there and a bunch of other non-friendly get alongs. It was pretty easy to sneak back into the over 21 area and buy beer. Everyone was wearing black and the lights were off stage front. I remember, this Steve guy has a chain wallet and *snag* some Suicidal (or rather a group of) thought it would be cool to jack it in the center of the pit. Turned into a "keep away" game that Steve eventually lost. Since then, I said fuck chain wallets. Too many tough guys want to grab at my ass as it is. Then I saw two chicks go at it and it was like, "Boobies!" that was pretty much every night.