PDA

View Full Version : Went down on the 91

Grantman
06-27-2015, 7:00 PM
Well this has been a messed up day. Got my bike back from Fireblade Performance, battery was toast. Get a new battery in. Get on the road and Verizon navigation dies when the screen is off. Downloaded MapQuest GPS and off I go. By the time I get near BF7 it's 4:00. Screw it, I'll go to the hotel and just catch day 2. Just get up to speed and some asshole is hauling a mattress that's not tied down. It flies out and every one locks up their brakes about the time I discover that the roadwork being done causes it to be slick as fuck. Laid the bike down. Then it flipped I landed in the lane on my head (good thing I was wearing a helmet) then as I rolled down the freeway, the bike went right over me. Smashed the derby cover, primary case, broke a mirror, turn signal and the shifter. I broke my wrist again I'm sure and am covered in road rash. What a fucked day.

WildChild77
06-27-2015, 7:25 PM
Shitty buzz man

Grantman
06-27-2015, 7:34 PM
Yeah, just sitting here in a coffee shop waiting for my bud to drive my truck in from Bako. Good thing is the OL had a couple oxys left from the last back surgery so I can take some on the 3 hour ride home. Waiter just treated me to a shot of Patron, and I bought one so by the time I get to the ER in Bako, I'll be just fine. God's laughing at me. I just broke the same wrist that had me off work for 4 months.

Shovelwitch
06-27-2015, 9:24 PM
Sorry to hear that homie, a lot of people are getting fucked up this year.

Cisco726
06-27-2015, 10:23 PM
Damn, that sucks balls, but at least you get tell us about it. There'll be other bf's just get you and your bike straightened out.

Grantman
06-28-2015, 4:54 AM
Got me and the bike back to Bako. Went to the ER at midnight and got out in 3 1/2 hours. I think that is a freakin record for a Saturday night. X-rays, CAT scans, washed out the road rash, tetanus shot, Dilaudid shot, something to keep me from puking. Good news, no broken bones. Just sprained my wrist and have more road rash than I would wish on anyone. I can't believe I flipped a bike at 65, landed on my head and WALKED away. You all enjoy BF, take lots of pics, I'll join in next year.

Ramzilla
06-28-2015, 5:27 AM
Damn man glad to hear you walked away from this.

ProfessorKaos
06-28-2015, 8:43 AM
Glad to hear that you're ok. Just another reminder that wearing a lid is a good idea.

Revelator
06-28-2015, 10:01 AM
Sounds like a Crappy Day! well Hell It probably could have been ALLOT worse.
Bike could have landed on You, or Some cage rolling over You.
Consider Yourself lucky in that respect.
Mend up quickly & I'll post some photos of BF7.

Hey, at least You didn't have to endure listening to the wannabe
Ozzie Osbourne on the stage, Haha But then I may just post the video I took of Him.

JMFNC
06-28-2015, 10:38 AM
I rode back to Bakersfield last night, tired as fuck and in the rain. But I'll take that over your day. Glad you're doing good though. You must have looked a mess though to get through ER in under 7 hours.

I dug the ozzy tribute though. It was a good giggle.

Braaap
06-28-2015, 10:54 AM
damn Grant, glad to hear you're OK. you're not going to get too many chances to survive a wreck like that.. silver linings buddy.

yesterday i got rear-ended at a stoplight by a 76-year-old shouldn't-be-driving motherfucker, but didn't drop or fuck up the bike and only got whiplash and a little baby concussion... didn't kill the guy or catch a felony either; so maybe baby Jeebus loves me better than he loves you... just sayin'

i didn't get any opiates out of the deal tho... or a fat lawsuit like CRFyou... i might be an idiot.

spent
06-28-2015, 11:34 AM
Damn, Grant, that sucks man. I was just looking at BF pics and wondering if you made it down. Glad to hear you're more or less okay, and that you didn't break your wrist again.

If you need any parts to get the bike back on the road, let me know.

tcainer
06-29-2015, 9:57 AM
Glad you're walking under your own power and the mattress didn't take you out at speed or something.

Pendulum
06-29-2015, 10:36 AM
Glad you're doing alright amigo! Could've been a lot worse.

Hey, at least You didn't have to endure listening to the wannabe
Ozzie Osbourne on the stage, Haha But then I may just post the video I took of Him.

OMFG I'm glad I'm not the only one that wanted that shit to stop. None of my friends seemed to even notice. Must've been the mushrooms.

Grantman
06-29-2015, 12:17 PM
Since I've been an Ozzy fan since the early days of Black Sabbath, maybe it was a blessing in disguise to not have to hear that. But I did sit for 3 hours waiting for my ride. Drank 10 shots of Patron and then got a 60 mg Oxy for the trip home. Was loaded all day yesterday(because I left out the tequila and the Oxy part at the ER), now I can't get in to see my doctor until tomorrow and that took a half hour on the phone. Stupid bitch kept saying "we don't see people for car accidents" If it was a car accident I don't think I'd of been this messed up.Then she said to call my insurance and have them recommend a Dr. Called her back and said "guess what, it's unanimous! ER and insurance said to follow up with my Primary Care Physician" Should have told the dumbass that between me and my wife we paid for the Doc's BMW 720i.

seaking
06-29-2015, 12:49 PM
Glad you're ok, and your wife wasn't with ya! That would've made it far worse. I couldn't live with myself if my lady got all fucked up--will you SoCal motherfuckers EVER make your girl wear pants? I shouldn't talk, Michigan the road stains in flip-flops are out....crotch rockets...ultras.....stupid has no bounds.

Was Orchid playing? Goddamn they're awesome but the singer needs to cut the "oh yeah-ehh" shit out.

Grantman
06-29-2015, 1:05 PM
Yeah like a dumbass I passed on the leather when I left Bako because it was 105 here. Not a scratch on my hands wherre I had gloves but it looks like I was trying to remove tattoos with sandpaper on my arms. I can't believe the dumbasses in flip flops on bikes.

MadRiverMoCo
06-29-2015, 1:09 PM
Yeah like a dumbass I passed on the leather when I left Bako because it was 105 here. Not a scratch on my hands wherre I had gloves but it looks like I was trying to remove tattoos with sandpaper on my arms. I can't believe the dumbasses in flip flops on bikes.
Anything you need/we can help with...let us know...

seaking
06-29-2015, 2:03 PM
Just be nice to your liver!

Jay28
06-29-2015, 2:39 PM
Damn man sorry to hear about your luck. Glad you're whole except for the rash. Enjoy the pain meds but be careful.

Grantman
06-29-2015, 7:10 PM
No more meds, been trying to find a post of greybeard tips and tricks. Can't remember which forum it was on, but they had a home cure for road rash supposed to clear the pain in 24 hours, I would be forever grateful to anyone that knows this home remedy. Looks like I'll be on the lookout for a primary case w/ derby cover and a rear bullet style turn signal for a 2000 883C. All the rest of the damage will stay as a memory of the day I landed on my head at 65 MPH and lived to tell the tale thanks to a cheap (at least to me) Z1R helmet. Marked up on the top and BOTH sides. That one goes on a shelf and I'll be buying another one before I ride again. I don't want to look for parts yet, gotta tear this one down and make sure of the damage before I go to rebuild it. Thanks to all who comment, can't hardly climb in an out of the truck now so I'm stuck at home, and this is my entertainment.

Grantman
06-29-2015, 7:21 PM
Just be nice to your liver!

Saturday was the most hard liquor I drank in one day in about 15 years. Never even felt a buzz. Turns out the oxy that was leftover was an 80 mg not a 60 said use by 6/11 so it was probably no good any way, it didn't stop the pain. Dilaudid didn't help either, just made me float in and out on a sea of pain. I used to use heroin for back pain, but that's a rough pony to quit and I ain't riding that bitch again.

gonzoguilt
06-29-2015, 8:16 PM
Damn man, I was afraid of the thread title but am relieved that you are not doing too bad.

...so I'm stuck at home, and this is my entertainment.

If you have Netflix, I suggest watching "Danger 5". It'll take your mind off of that rash.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0Z09bNgSeMI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ember
06-29-2015, 8:23 PM
Where's the pics, man!! Good to hear it wasn't any worse. Sucks to be alone without buddies when you hit the road.

I saw some of you guys doing some stupid crap when leaving Born Free... Glad there weren't a lot more stories like yours.

JetBlackII
06-29-2015, 9:13 PM
Fuck Grant... talk about unlucky, if you must crash you'd hope there would be a mattress involved but not like this, and if like this at least to land ON the god damned thing instead of your head. Pretty sure I was dropped on mine as a baby, so my empathetic condolences.

Cisco726
06-29-2015, 9:36 PM
No more meds, been trying to find a post of greybeard tips and tricks. Can't remember which forum it was on, but they had a home cure for road rash supposed to clear the pain in 24 hours, I would be forever grateful to anyone that knows this home remedy. Looks like I'll be on the lookout for a primary case w/ derby cover and a rear bullet style turn signal for a 2000 883C. All the rest of the damage will stay as a memory of the day I landed on my head at 65 MPH and lived to tell the tale thanks to a cheap (at least to me) Z1R helmet. Marked up on the top and BOTH sides. That one goes on a shelf and I'll be buying another one before I ride again. I don't want to look for parts yet, gotta tear this one down and make sure of the damage before I go to rebuild it. Thanks to all who comment, can't hardly climb in an out of the truck now so I'm stuck at home, and this is my entertainment.

Found the thread-
http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23326&highlight=Biker

JetBlackII
06-29-2015, 10:02 PM
Damn man, I was afraid of the thread title but am relieved that you are not doing too bad.

If you have Netflix, I suggest watching "Danger 5". It'll take your mind off of that rash.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0Z09bNgSeMI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nice suggestion :) I watched all of these sometime in the last 3 months, they are safe for work though nudity wise :(

seaking
06-30-2015, 2:29 PM
man some people get dosed and it doesn't effect them....I got triple the dose with my wisdom teeth, could feel them yanking them outta my head and walked a straight line out of there. They'd never seen anything like it.

My ma worked the burn ward at the VA, I'll have to ask what they did. I think just a shit ton of neosporin would help.

Lordmerciless
06-30-2015, 4:58 PM
I MUCH preferred hearing Ozzy/Sabbath songs over that hillbilly shit that came on after!...

"Swing your partner 'round and 'round, kick 'em in the butt and knock 'em on the ground"

Grantman
07-01-2015, 3:11 AM
Doing better, my body decided it's now (2am) used to the combo from my family physician. Norco, Flexoril, and Keflex. So NOW I'm wide awake. I'm waiting for the Keflex to kick in. It's an antibiotic that gives you the shits like you ate from a street vendors cart in Tijuana!

Here's my right arm, that's not bleeding, that's a real thin scab that breaks every time I freakin move.

Left arm doesn't look as bad but it'll leave a better scar, it's a lot deeper.

And my knees just hurt. I think I'm gonna buy some Draggin Jeans and a shirt from them too.

Luckily I didn't break anything besides parts and my pride. Sprained wrist hurts like hell though.

I was wearing goatskin gloves, not a mark on my hands, redwing boots, they look as good as new, a Z1R Metro helmet that saved my bacon and now is going on a special shelf in my office. It's scratched up all over and broke the face shield mounting point, but did it's job and protected me. Brand new Kirkland jeans that only have a small hole in the right nee. Hmm, I wonder if Costco will let me return them for a new pair, or if I should just keep them and throw a patch on there? And other than that I was wearing a Ride a Bike, Go to Prison T-Shirt that survived intact. I still think it was the "tuck and roll" I learned riding Motocross back in the 70's and 80's is what helped the most.

I'll take pics of the bike tomorrow after my buddy comes over to help unload it, it's still in the back of the truck.

Grantman
07-01-2015, 3:12 AM
Found the thread-

Thanks brother, you are a life saver! I get down near Dago I'll buy you a beer or three!

Grantman
07-01-2015, 3:15 AM

I think I'll watch this tomorrow! Thanks, I love corny shit!

Rubman
07-01-2015, 6:20 AM
Holy shit, dude. So sorry to hear this. Hope you're ok.

bigsteveo
07-01-2015, 7:21 AM
Hit me up in PM, I'm sure I've got some of the parts you need that you can have.

Grantman
07-01-2015, 8:23 PM
Found the thread-
Turns out that isn't it. I read all 17 pages. If you took out all the BS it would have been more like 4 pages. Good thing I have plenty of time. I'll keep looking. My right arm is just killing me. Here's a good tip, DON'T use Lanacaine on road rash, that shit burns worse than Nu-skin. It feels like pouring boiling lit gasoline on road rash.

Cisco726
07-02-2015, 1:03 AM
Turns out that isn't it. I read all 17 pages. If you took out all the BS it would have been more like 4 pages. Good thing I have plenty of time. I'll keep looking. My right arm is just killing me. Here's a good tip, DON'T use Lanacaine on road rash, that shit burns worse than Nu-skin. It feels like pouring boiling lit gasoline on road rash.

I'm on it! Have you tried Aloe Vera? Also, I got burned as a kid and I was given vitamin e oil to rub on it and it help with the scarring. It helped a lot.

brooklynbomber
07-02-2015, 7:27 PM
Glad you're doing alright amigo! Could've been a lot worse.

OMFG I'm glad I'm not the only one that wanted that shit to stop. None of my friends seemed to even notice. Must've been the mushrooms.

Glad you're ok, that sounds like a shitty deal but you have a good attitude. That band SUCKED. I hate tribute bands, but thats just me. (i'd rather hear the real thing) It kinda sounded like Peter Griffin from family Guy was trying to impersonate Ozzy while singing. You missed awesome bikes but the rest of Born Free was pretty contrived and trying to hard. (i.e. Ozzy and Skynyrd tribute bands). Heal up man.

LeanMcLean
07-02-2015, 9:13 PM
Definitely use the vitamin e. My dad's been in some gnarly bike accidents and other accidents in general and he swears by it. I use it whenever I get cut and it helps heal faster and cleaner. And best of luck healing up!

MadRiverMoCo
07-05-2015, 7:17 AM
I lost most of the skin on the left side of my face in an accident at 17 (20 odd yrs ago) and a year of cracking vitamin e tablets and smearing that shit on my face and I've only got scarring left under my left brow...

It works

Lanacaine, as you discovered, works wonderfully as a you're device

hillcat
07-05-2015, 7:54 AM
"Brave Soldier Antiseptic Healing Ointment"

Grantman
07-05-2015, 1:39 PM
"Brave Soldier Antiseptic Healing Ointment"

Ordered it from Amazon just now. $16 and change with overnight shipping. Gotta use that prime membership.

gonzoguilt
07-05-2015, 3:26 PM
Eat some probiotic yogurt about an hour or so after taking those antibiotics. I think it's an hour, look it up.

After a failed Rambo-inspired move, my self-cauterized lip got staph and I was prescribed some really heavy duty stuff. I looked it up on the web and the majority of reviewers read cried that they would rather have the tooth pain (what it's originally intended for) than the ass-blasts they were experiencing. The yogurt helped me out.

Grantman
07-05-2015, 6:18 PM
Inally took some pics of the damage to the bike. Considering the spectacular (according to the Lexus driver that almost squished me) the damage isn't too bad:

Primary took the brunt of it:

Left handle took it like a champ, right handle doesn't have a scratch:

Left rear turn signal crushed and broke the lens, but unbelievably the bulb is still intact:

Screamin Chicken air cleaner got a scratch and a dent, not worth replacing IMO:

Grantman
07-05-2015, 6:19 PM
Exhaust got a little bit of character added:

And the shifter peg broke off, might be fun extracting the broken bolt:

Still haven't got her unloaded yet, maybe tomorrow. Drove the truck for the first time today getting ready to go back to work tomorrow. Gotta get this thing back in shape, truck sucks gas like it's free. I live 5 minutes from work and it costs me about $40 a week for gas in the beast.

Grantman
07-05-2015, 6:27 PM
Eat some probiotic yogurt about an hour or so after taking those antibiotics. I think it's an hour, look it up.

After a failed Rambo-inspired move, my self-cauterized lip got staph and I was prescribed some really heavy duty stuff. I looked it up on the web and the majority of reviewers read cried that they would rather have the tooth pain (what it's originally intended for) than the ass-blasts they were experiencing. The yogurt helped me out.

I guess the Norco works the Opposite of the Keflex so I don't have to run for the shitter every 5 minutes like the last time I took it. I'll pick up some yogurt next time I'm at the store. It's weird, when I was in my 20's, I'd brush the dirt out myself and rub Vitamin E on it and act like it was nothing. Now in my 50's and I'm acting like a whiny little bitch and this shit hurts a week later.

Grantman
07-12-2015, 12:52 PM
Thought I'd drop an update here. Thanks to bigsteveo for the parts, and I found the rest on eGay for about $175. altogether it's going to end up costing less to fix the bike than my hotel room was going to be. It seems like every time I ride down to the LA area someone goes down. Going by myself kinda fucked me on the odds. I'm healing up pretty quick, I have one thick scab left on the right knee and all the rest is nice bright pink skin. Vitamin e oil rocks, and daily swimming in the pool kept it from getting stiff. I finally located that old bikers tip for road rash and I'll be posting it in the tips and tricks. Best thing for road rash is don't get any. Hopefully I'll be back in the wind by the end of the month. Then I can get back to the 3 projects I have going, might even get my 68 IH down to BF8.

Buellbomb
07-13-2015, 3:00 AM
Glad to hear you're getting past it.

Grantman
07-16-2015, 12:24 AM
Parts arrived today, but I just started a 10 day stretch with the first 7 on call 24 hrs. But I did find my FSM & FPM so I don't have to rely on my shitty memory. Looks like I'll be back in the wind before the end of the month. Then I can get back to the project bikes! I think I can finish 2 before it gets "winter" here. After living in Wisconsin, SoCal winters are a joke.