PDA

View Full Version : Normal Sportster or King Sportster Tank for 1100 VStar/ Dragstar / XVS

Rahim
06-17-2015, 7:44 PM
Got an XVS1100 for a daily rider. Great for flying up and down the motorway to and from work.
Hate the tank. Cant see in at the fuel level, doesnt have an electronic fuel level, big, wide, ugly.
I understand the tank hangs down over the frame and hides a few odds and ends.
I want to stick a sportster tank on but Im not sure about a normal sized sportster tank or a king sportster.
Would the king leave me trying to hide less? Im not wanting to start to cover up bits or relocate them.
Or would a normal sized on do the job?

Sky
06-18-2015, 5:07 AM
Not familiar with your particular bike. First thing you gotta make sure is the tunnel vs. backbone ratio. Some of them map bikes have wide backbones.
Take your tank off and post a pic , if your not sure.
And who are you fooling? "not wanting to start to cover up bits or relocate them" You know that's what happens next...

Westboundbiker
06-18-2015, 6:25 AM
It'll be a lot of work to do it. The Stars have a twin backbone that houses the air cleaner. Even going to pods leaves the pods poking up between the two. I've seen some guys put the tank on top of the backbone, but at least for me, not my style, and I wouldn't do it. That said, it is possible, just have to get the right pods, small enough, and the right tank- tunnel large enough.

Rahim
06-21-2015, 3:44 AM
Cheers guys.
Yeah the wide backbone was the main concern. Ive seen a few pics of people putting what looks to me like a normal sized sporty tank on top. Looks tidy enough but Im unaware of what odds and ends they had to relocate from between the bottom of the tank and the top of the engine.
The original idea with using a king sporty was so I could cut the bottom out, shape a base round the awkward back bone etc, weld it back up and still be left with a decent fuel capacity in the tank.
As much as Im itching to, Im not really wanting to start messing with this one too much. lol The bike is gonna be my transport to and from work in the shitty Irish winter weather.