PDA

View Full Version : brainstorm for the brainless

Hotel
06-05-2015, 9:09 PM
Alright, drilled a hole in my tank, tried to weld a nut in so i could screw in a nipple for a fuel line. Thing is im no welder so it kept leaking. Worked it so much the area was just fucked. So did a ugly fix and relocated my nipple back some. Teflon tape and jb weld just to get it to hold for a bit, and it held for a month or two, but now it started leaking again so anyone have a idea for a more permanment fix? Jb weld is drying tonight so i can take her on a benefit ride tomorrow, so ill need something better soon.

21guns
06-06-2015, 4:13 AM
Pay a professional welder to TIG on a decent bung dude. Or ship it to me and I'll do it if you can handle wait times haha

Hotel
06-06-2015, 5:59 AM
Its good to see you still on 21guns!
Does it have to be TIG? I think my neighbor has a pretty bad ass flux core he uses to weld his rat rod frame mods with. Of course I didn't know this until after the matter and didn't think of it until you mentioned this.

HulkJoegan
06-06-2015, 10:16 AM
Its good to see you still on 21guns!
Does it have to be TIG? I think my neighbor has a pretty bad ass flux core he uses to weld his rat rod frame mods with. Of course I didn't know this until after the matter and didn't think of it until you mentioned this.
Tig would be preferred, Gas shielded mig works too, but fluxcore is so dirty you'll have a hell of a time not getting pinholes, IMO

21guns
06-06-2015, 4:04 PM
That and TIG puts less heat through everything so youll get less heat distortion dude. Flux core is shit as hulk said itl be hard to not get pinholes. Gas MIGs good but then you gotta dress up the weld (remove extra un-needed weld) plus extra heat. And Im on here daily dude :D

deathmetaldan
06-06-2015, 4:12 PM
That and TIG puts less heat through everything so youll get less heat distortion dude. Flux core is shit as hulk said itl be hard to not get pinholes. Gas MIGs good but then you gotta dress up the weld (remove extra un-needed weld) plus extra heat. And Im on here daily dude :D

go to the autoparts store and get a gas tank patch kit.... done.

The correct way would be to weld it correctly. Using a mig with gas works but tig is the best way. Fluxcore is possible but just not worth the trouble.

Hotel
06-07-2015, 10:22 AM
Yeah, I picked up a flux core when I started this build. Just a cheap harbor freight special. Didn't have intention of welding the frame with it but I wound up doing it anyways. And ya'll are spot on with pinholes , I kept getting and kept getting them while trying to weld the tank. My fix worked to get me through the benefit ride and will probaly hold a month or two more, so that gives me time to run down a TIG.

rshutchinson
06-07-2015, 2:17 PM
I've filled a hole in my FIL's Maxim gas tank with melted lead from a car wheel weight. You could try to fill the pinholes with that?

Clean the area best you can then brush on some acid paste flux. Heat that with a propane torch to melt the paste and clean the area. Then take the wheel weight in a pot and melt it with the torch then pour it over the area. Hand files pretty easy or use an angle grinder with 120 flap disc.

Of course it's more work than a TIG but could be worth a try.

Hotel
06-07-2015, 3:25 PM
That sounds more on my level! I'm gonna run this JB Weld until it gives out again then I'm defiantly going to try that.
I'll weld it with the nasty ass flux core, clean it up, pour a wheel weight on it and let it rip.
So it may be a month or two but I will post how it worked in this thread.

mountainryder
06-07-2015, 4:39 PM
Start packing a fire extinguisher, so you can save that bike when it bursts into flames. Or cough up a few bucks to fix it right, (TIG).

rshutchinson
06-07-2015, 7:26 PM
Don't forget to flush the tank of any gas fumes first.

You can run exhaust through it to flush it.

Hotel
06-16-2015, 6:16 PM
Okay so i gave it a try.
Figured i would because no telling what little fix you could do with that.
I had no luck whatsoever.
It kept hitting and bouncing like you spit on a barrel with a hot fire.
So i had trails of lead down my tank.
Oh well, time to get it right.

rshutchinson
06-17-2015, 6:07 AM
Ah well, worth a shot. The hole I fixed I dented in first to create a 'puddle' area to give the lead something to fill in to. Not something you could do in your circumstance.

TIG will look much better anyway.