PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a Kawi 250LTD for a donor.

motoboy
06-02-2015, 6:47 AM
Wanna build a cafe for my 14 yo. I found this 250 LTD with super low miles. It's an '80. They state that it runs but the muffler gets a little hot? No kidding right? But my question is: Can the muffler get excessively hot? If so, why?

JetBlackII
06-02-2015, 1:27 PM
Eh a lean condition in the carbs will do it, so will a coked up muffler, and exhaust valves out of adjustment. If they have been running it excessively hot and lean, the cylinders get more wear and could burn a hole through a piston and warp the head. But all this depends on what they refer to as hot, my headers sit at around 189F during a ride after fully warmed up according to a digital thermometer I have on one of the exhaust flange studs. It'll certainly make your fucking skin stick to it if you were dumb enough to grab it...

Without more information it's kinda hard to stab a guess it's condition... from the exhaust gets hot. But if it was from them constantly running it lean, it's probably not in great shape... though it would be a good idea to check it out before plugging that shit into the frame no matter what motor... aka shove an inspection camera into the intake/exhaust port and or plug hole(s) or just pull the head and have a look at what's what. Although, a look at the plugs can tell you if it has been running lean or rich... better sooty than super clean, but better clean than black and oily, if you can physically inspect it in person.