PDA

View Full Version : xj550 or xv700 for first time build

dillion67
05-24-2015, 1:10 PM
i have found 2 bikes
82 xj550 runs but carbs overflow probably the float valve 95k miles
86 xv700 7k miles sitting for 2 years not sure if it runs they say all it needs is a battery and a petcock rebuild

both only 300 and look to be in good condition

im not scared to do a little work but i was wondering what would be a good option for a first time build im supposed to go see them pretty soon so let me know
need available parts and easy to understand

i plan to chop them and would get both but the wife is on my ass about just 1

slimvulcanrider
05-24-2015, 2:17 PM
well it depends on what the overall goal of the build would be... the simplest one to build off of would be the XJ... the XV uses the engine as the lower part of the frame, so makes things a little more difficult to mod. Also the XV is shaft driven which also makes it a bear to chop for your first bike. Personally for a first build I would go with the XJ... unless you have mad skills with a sawz-all and a welder... and have the ability to make a complete custom frame.. then the XV would be a badd ass build.

dillion67
05-24-2015, 2:48 PM
i wasn't going to hard tail it just cut off the rear and change some parts handle bars lights breaks and so
on the xv lookes like the frame would look better with a bob seat the xj frame has a line that comes across kind of looks strange without some custom side plates

slimvulcanrider
05-24-2015, 3:21 PM
60509since the XV doesn't have much of a frame, chopping off the back end of it with out reinforcing it else where is going to cause problems...

dillion67
05-24-2015, 3:36 PM
so a small weld across the back of the xv would secure it and probably help give the seat something to attach to

deathmetaldan
05-24-2015, 4:13 PM
60509since the XV doesn't have much of a frame, chopping off the back end of it with out reinforcing it else where is going to cause problems...

you dont need to build a full custom frame for a virago and cutting the back of the rails isnt a huge deal. I welded a peice of flat stock across the back and called it a day. Attach some fender struts to the swing arm and you are good to go. If its been kept in a garage, is still holding oil and doesnt look like its going to leak like a civ its worth checking out. Rig up a fuel IV and drop in a battery and see what happens.

For the maxim, its probably just stuck floats. You could play it to your advantage and pay less since carbs are operate on magic in the eyes of some.

with the current popularity of viragos you will be able to find aftermarket stuff, most stuff from the 1000 and 1100 will fit the 700 (the even make forward controls). I havent seen much around for the maxim but i havent looked lately either.

Either bike you get you should count on getting tires , doing some frequent oil changes and just preparing for the worst.

dillion67
05-24-2015, 4:18 PM
i like the look of the xv but i know for sure the xj runs i might go and try to jump start the xv
but i dont think its been kept inside here is a pic

deathmetaldan
05-24-2015, 4:20 PM

That is my virago, its a simple fiberglass seat pan and some bent sheet metal behind that.... i was in a hurry so it ended up like that until it was sold. The seat pan fit so snug with the vinyl on it that i didnt have to worry about any other mounting... it took some force to rip it off.

dillion67
05-24-2015, 4:41 PM
nice project i think i like the look of the xv a little better for a chop