PDA

View Full Version : wiring in new key switch on my cm400

ReverendSavage
05-19-2015, 11:01 AM
I bought a new universle key switch to finish the wireing on my custom build. its originally a 1980 400 hawk. I want to lose the starter button on the handle bar and be able to turn the key like starting a car, basicallykeeping the kill switch, but combining the starter switch and ignition switch,into my key. maybe if possible eventually turning my original starter switch in to the horn button or something. I attached my diagram and was hoping somone could just make any last minute corrections and show me which wires go where to the new key switch, also, I'm not sure where to go with the headlight and tail light from the fuse panel

Freewheeler
05-20-2015, 12:26 PM
I bought a new universle key switch to finish the wireing on my custom build. its originally a 1980 400 hawk. I want to lose the starter button on the handle bar and be able to turn the key like starting a car, basicallykeeping the kill switch, but combining the starter switch and ignition switch,into my key. maybe if possible eventually turning my original starter switch in to the horn button or something. I attached my diagram and was hoping somone could just make any last minute corrections and show me which wires go where to the new key switch, also, I'm not sure where to go with the headlight and tail light from the fuse panel

For your starter it looks like you would just move the yellow/red from the old switch to the starter pole (centre) on your ignition switch.

As for the other lights, I cant work out what you are trying to do with the fuse arrangement - it looks incomplete to me. In addition, you have no brake light switch or can you jut run daytime lights? The laws are different here in London, England.

Why reinvent the wheel? If you search the net there is a very good basic wiring diagram for a custom bike with a minimum of lights and I am sure there is the same on this forum somewhere...

Nick

ReverendSavage
05-20-2015, 6:50 PM
I actually have no lights at all run YET, I am going to add them in after I get the main engine circuit figured out. from what I understand the engine won't fire unless the kill switch is properly installed, in my fuse block i currently Only have 1 fuse thats the main 15 amp so I don't blow the motor up, I have the brake light switch but I know how to install that so I didn't include It

JetBlackII
05-20-2015, 10:54 PM
Easiest way is to grab a meter throw the switch in the momentary position and see which connection has continuity then does not when let off the momentary start position... that connection will be where the starter button wire goes to on the new switch.

CustomizeIT
05-20-2015, 11:19 PM
Here follow this and wire her up.

http://www.thefont.info/wiring/wiring1.htm

click thru the pages it will add each circuit as you go.

Use the above mentioned method of resistance checks from the source pin to find your positions of the key switch.

ReverendSavage
05-22-2015, 6:45 AM
DUDE!excactly what I needed! thank you!

nerdsports
05-22-2015, 11:57 AM
That was a great link. Wish I had that when I rewired my Sportster years ago.