PDA

View Full Version : Need some help !!! Won't start.

FFMedicMiles
05-13-2015, 6:12 PM
Hey guys I'm been lurking for a few weeks reading and researching, but I've hit a wall. Background info. I recently purchased a 2002 vstar 650 custom with 15,135 miles. The bike was hard to start but would finally give way and run ( ran poorly so figured carbs were dirty). Pulled the carbs they were very dirty. I bench synced the carbs, and I cleaned them very well. Put them back on and it won't start. Eventually I found a vacuum leak on the carb holders. I replaced thinking that would solve it but nope��. I've check my voltage while cranking so the battery is good. The only way I can get it to run is if I take the filter off and pretty much choke it all the way by hand over the air filter opening. But it will not idle with the filter on. It has stock air intake, stock pipes, fresh gas. Ais has been removed, no air leaks spigot holes plugged with .45 casings. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Sky
05-14-2015, 5:48 AM
That's a tough one to help with from here.
Sounds like you might have gone hung ho and made too many changes at once.
I'm thinking something simple went wrong with the reassembly/synching. And or the removal of the air injection bullshit.
Maybe some pics would help someone here spot something that might help.
Good luck

Westboundbiker
05-14-2015, 11:01 AM
Try the guys over at the star forums. http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/main.asp?webtag=sgmfa&nav=start&prettyurl=%2Fsgmfa&gid=2026682714
If anyone will know, they will.

FFMedicMiles
05-14-2015, 4:13 PM
Thanks guy. I think I may still have a clogged pilot jet. The guys at star forums think so too. So tomorrow I'm going to pull it off and check it all again. I will post some pic when I get the chance. Thanks again.

JetBlackII
05-14-2015, 11:12 PM
Hopefully you're using untainted fresh gas, this shit we use now and pay more for is pathetic especially in shelf life, fuel starts to sour and separate in less than 3 weeks these days. A friend that had a V-star brand new off the floor got stranded a week later, because all he did was put 87 octane in it. The star is so leaned out at the factory, it wouldn't even start on the base octane... if you have fresh high octane in it, then continue reading.

Put a tube on the bottom of your float bowl grab a container to catch, and open the drain screw... do this to each one. Does Fuel come out? When you pull the choke, or put your hand over the intake you are enriching the fuel circuit meaning you are creating a vacuum that throws more fuel in the cylinders.

So that means you have a fuel delivery issue going on(barring shit gas or no/weak spark), since the pilot screws are cylinder side and not filter side this makes it a fuel screw. You can pull the hose from the tank and see if it flows out strong and steady, if it comes out on the weak side gurgles or anything of the sort... you need to flush the tank clean the petcock. Before doing that though open your gas cap to see if that makes the fuel flow increase if it does, your tank vent is blocked causing the fuel starvation issue.

You can also back blow the system through the float bowl hose to help dislodge anything in tiny ports if you know you did a decent cleaning job... it likely isn't the carbs unless the flow rate from the tank is strong.

If you do have a strong steady flow from the tank, barring any more vacuum leaks, aka boots, vacuum nipple/hose rot or breaks, torn carb diaphragm... the motor should suck fuel in from the carbs float bowls as aside from explosion chambers they also suck the fuel in from the carbs like a pump... so if you have good flow and zero vacuum leaks. You need to compression test and make sure the plugs are seated gaped firing and in time as they should be.

siamesegun
05-15-2015, 8:44 AM
Aaand Jet showed up. /thread.

FFMedicMiles
05-17-2015, 10:44 PM
Ok guys got the carb cleaned again, the pilot jets were clogged up still. Still having problems starting so I pulled the plugs. Black and fouled. Ground the plug to the bike and the spark looks weak. So when I get off Tuesday morning I'm going to do some electrical testing.

FFMedicMiles
05-17-2015, 10:48 PM
Thanks everyone for the help. I feel like I'm chasing rabbits down a hole.

FFMedicMiles
05-17-2015, 10:53 PM
I may have a pickup coil problem.

Crowe138
05-19-2015, 2:54 AM
Something to consider they hadn't been mentioned; How many turns out are the pilot screws? from the factory they put a small aluminum plug over them so yours might still be that way but after 13 years n 15,xxx miles usually the plugs have been removed. Somewhere between 1-7/8-3 turns out at sea level gets u in a good idle range. (Less turns out for higher altitude) also the hole that the pilot screw adjusts is very small and clogs easily just like the pilot jet does so if urs is still plugged drill a holdin the plug n run a self tapping screw in it then use pliers on the screw n yank the plug out. Turn pilot screw till it stops, count the turns for reference. Remove the pilot screw clean with carb spray n a guitar string.watch for the very small oring n washer down below the pilot screw n spring don't lose it. Replace the screw n set at 2.5 (sea level) turns as a starting point

FFMedicMiles
05-22-2015, 11:41 PM
Thanks everyone for the help. I had the gak kit laying around, so I put it on and put the new required jets in. I adjusted the plot screws to the new requirement. While I had the carb off I cleaned the pilot jets with guitar string. New spark plugs and fresh gas for safe measure and she fired right up. Running like a champ.

Freewheeler
05-23-2015, 12:06 PM
Thanks everyone for the help. I had the gak kit laying around, so I put it on and put the new required jets in. I adjusted the plot screws to the new requirement. While I had the carb off I cleaned the pilot jets with guitar string. New spark plugs and fresh gas for safe measure and she fired right up. Running like a champ.

Glad to hear it and it sounds like there is a tip in there for cleaning pilot jets..

Nick

Westboundbiker
05-25-2015, 2:46 PM
Yeah, wow, I never would have thought of doing it like that. I've always got some old strings laying around, and I've never thought about using them in the shop.