PDA

View Full Version : CB 650 Trike? Complete insanity or a workable idea?

Wildh2oskier
04-30-2015, 9:31 PM
I picked up a couple of CB650s over the weekend. Their barn finds and not in a running condition. They are both shaft driven and once I got them home and started going over them they are both +90% there, they are rough and are going to need some work. I'm going to chop them in some shape form or fashion after I get them back to running.
Any how my wife can't ride a bicycle much less a motorcycle so I'm thinking of turning the first one into a trike for her. Since it is shaft drive I considered using a rear end out of an old Toyota Datsun or the like. Something small and lite.
Have any of you seen this attempted on this bike? Seems like a pretty straight forward conversion. I'm willing and wanting to hear any and all historical reports and ideas.
Thanks in advance
'skier.

Dinnertimedave
05-01-2015, 2:57 AM
There's a fair bit of trike building using Jap 4's over here in the U.K. We were blessed(:rolleyes:) with this three wheeled horror car called a Reliant which meant we used to have a plentiful supply of axles but they're getting rare even here now. I doubt that any were ever exported to the States, they were truly fucking awful things. If I was over there I'd be looking for an MG axle, small and fairly light and there were a helluva lot more sold over there than here so there should be plenty about. Make life easy on yourself and narrow one side of the axle so your driveshaft will run in a straight line, easy enough job. Looking forward to seeing it, good luck :)

Wildh2oskier
05-01-2015, 4:38 AM
I had thought of doing that. With all the drag racers in my area having an axle cut down is not hard to get done nor an expensive proposition. Also I had thought of using universal joints to give the shaft the flexibility to line up straight with the axle centered as is. I grew up using shafts in that configuration to power hay bailers, mowers and other farming equipment. It got the power where it was needed and allowed for a lot of travel vertically, horizontally and combinations of them. I don't know what I'll do as of yet.

OleDirtyDoc
05-01-2015, 5:39 AM
I've seen pics of a 750 Vulcan with a Dodge Colt rear