PDA

View Full Version : Why hard tail?

motoboy
04-26-2015, 2:26 PM
What's all of the hubub over hard tailing a VLX? I bought my oldest son a 600 to cut his teeth on and I am just curious. The look is nice, I admit, but the Soft tail styling of the Shadow looks good to me. We plan to ride quite often, but will be taking long trips(>500mi) as well. I don't want to sacrifice the suspension because we are planning an Iron Butt this summer.

deathmetaldan
04-26-2015, 2:32 PM
mostly looks and dick swinging.

soft tails like the vlx can be kind of nice since you have the look of a hardtail without the pain

in more detail: Not having a swingarm means less moving parts and overall cuts down on the amount of clutter on the frame (getting rid of the pivot and all)

datadavid
04-28-2015, 8:54 AM
Iron butts with hard tails ought to be called diamond butts. Or something like that..

Magnificentbastard
04-28-2015, 9:29 AM
mostly looks and dick swinging.

soft tails like the vlx can be kind of nice since you have the look of a hardtail without the pain

in more detail: Not having a swingarm means less moving parts and overall cuts down on the amount of clutter on the frame (getting rid of the pivot and all)

Correct me if this is wrong but it also means that if you hit a bump that your back tire could possibly loose grip or contact with the road e.g. easier to loose control of the bike and crash, or at least more than with a softail, which means a hard tail is not for a novice rider.

datadavid
04-28-2015, 11:16 AM
Well... i basically only rode hardtails from the tender age of 12 (150cc) til i was around.. 26 maybe(?)When i sold my t100c rigid. I never once died. Cant say it did me any good either though..

Whackadoodle
04-28-2015, 12:31 PM
Lighter weight, fewer moving parts.

deathmetaldan
04-28-2015, 2:14 PM
Correct me if this is wrong but it also means that if you hit a bump that your back tire could possibly loose grip or contact with the road e.g. easier to loose control of the bike and crash, or at least more than with a softail, which means a hard tail is not for a novice rider.

yeah, thats possible for sure. If you are expecting to do performance cornering on a hardtail you are going to have a bad time haha.

motoboy
04-29-2015, 11:35 AM
I get the less is more look, but why do some guys replace shox with struts?

Dieselchanic
04-29-2015, 8:12 PM

When you find the answer to that one, you can tell the rest of us...

deathmetaldan
04-29-2015, 10:01 PM

some do it to get a taste of a hardtail before they make the big jump. Others do it because its the "cool" thing and cant make their own or afford to have one made for them.

none of it makes much sense really haha

wastedyouth2542
05-01-2015, 11:35 AM
I always thought struts were super gay and half-assed. I still think that. However I REALLY want to hardtail my shadow, but i broke my back two years ago on a cb650. I'm going to throw some struts on it for a week just to see if my back can handle it. I ride every single day rain or shine. My 86 shadow is a pig and getting rid of the swingarm/driveshaft cover/shocks will make it quite a bit lighter.

Ganso
05-01-2015, 12:28 PM

Some guys use it to lower the bike