PDA

View Full Version : clutch (?) noise help!

Figjam
04-24-2015, 8:36 PM
A bubby of mine just picked up a '02 FXST, been sitting in a guys basement for at least a year maybe closer to 2 but its got a squeal when you roll on the throttle or off of it, I really don't know much about big twins so can any of you guys point me in the right direction? Im wondering if a disc or 2 is stuck together from sitting or something along those lines, any help would be appreciated

Tattooo
04-24-2015, 9:54 PM
A bubby of mine just picked up a '02 FXST, been sitting in a guys basement for at least a year maybe closer to 2 but its got a squeal when you roll on the throttle or off of it, I really don't know much about big twins so can any of you guys point me in the right direction? Im wondering if a disc or 2 is stuck together from sitting or something along those lines, any help would be appreciated

More info needed..... It has a squeal sitting still or going down the road? Can you put it in gear running sitting still without it taking off?????

homewrecker
04-24-2015, 10:16 PM
check primary and trans oil maybe low and a bearing running dry.

Figjam
04-25-2015, 10:19 AM
we've been thru and adjusted the clutch ect. to factory specs. only does it going down the road. The owner seems to think it's the drive belt so he's gonna try that next. I rode it the other day and it goes down the road fine, def. not slipping or anything but when you roll on the throttle it gives a pretty loud squeal and when you let off the throttle to change gears or slow down it makes the same noise. I've never heard anything like it on a bike, it reminds me of the sound the old Dodges used to make when the bendix spring in the starter was sticky. And the fluids are all new and filled to spec.

Figjam
04-25-2015, 10:31 AM
it shifts fine, really smooth actually, only does it going down the road. Clutch seems to be working fine, it doesn't pull when the clutch is engaged but as soon as take off and go to second gear it makes the noise as well as the rest of the gears both up and down, that's why Im thinking clutch. The noise is not as loud when riding gently but it's still there, once it reaches speed the noise is gone but let off the throttle and the RPM starts to drop it squeals quickly and then goes away. Its really got me confused.

Dragstews
04-25-2015, 11:23 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Harley-Davidson-Poly-Oil-2-0-OZ-Tube-P-N-99860-81-/171726942767

Figjam
04-25-2015, 1:05 PM
OK we got it, it was the damned drive belt after all, its pretty stretched out and ready for replacement but we did manage to get a couple turns on the adjusters and the noise went away......thanks for the input guys.