PDA

View Full Version : Blinker turns off

zrobe95
04-24-2015, 8:24 PM
Hey guys new member here almost done with my honda cm450c but cant seem to get this wiring right. The stock turn signals both front and rear were replaced with some smaller signals i picked up on amazon and at my local bike shop(not LEDs). They get power and light up but when I switch the turn signal on they go out. Ive got 2 load equalizers from the autoparts store but when I hooked them up nothing happened.. I also changed out the flasher but still nothing. Do I need one Load Equalizer per signal? Not sure what else to do.. could use some advice here. Thank you in advance!

-Zach

steve73
04-25-2015, 12:07 AM
whats the need for load equalizers if ya dont have led blinkers?

forty4ma9
04-25-2015, 6:33 AM
They get power and light up but when I switch the turn signal on they go out.
What is the exact situation when they getting power and on? Do you have dual element lights that you are using as running lights and turn signals?

I'm only familiar with using the load equalizers to maintain a normal flash rate when the power dissipation of the replacement signals is two low for mechanical flashers to flash or they flash a very fast rate (bimetal strip does not get hot fast enough)

I would start by removing the flasher, shorting the flasher wires together and making sure you can use the switch to power up the lights to know the wire connections are good. Then attempt adding the flasher back in series and seeing how it goes from there.

zrobe95
04-25-2015, 12:17 PM
Not sure that they are dual element lights I will have to check..they wired up as running lights and turn signals at the moment but when I flip the switch for the turn signal the light turns off

forty4ma9
04-25-2015, 6:46 PM
Not sure that they are dual element lights I will have to check..they wired up as running lights and turn signals at the moment but when I flip the switch for the turn signal the light turns off
If they are single element bulbs you will have to give up the running light function or you will need more complicated wiring (two flasher or controller) to make them flash when you switch to turn signal function. I wouldn't want running lights that switch to turn signals without going brighter, just doesn't seem like it would be as noticeable as a turn signal thus make it a wasted effort.

zrobe95
04-26-2015, 2:49 PM
ok that makes sense thanks, im thinking thats my problem then..from what i can see that is how the bike was wired stock. the turn signals are wired as running lights as well. Could you point me in the right direction on how to wire them up to be only turn signals?

forty4ma9
04-26-2015, 8:42 PM
Start at the switch. Its connector likely is in the nest of wires in the headlight. Should have three wires related to positions of the switch: Output for Left, output for right, and a common input that can be connected to either output/no output. Likely 12V with a flasher in series into the common, left output to left signals, right output to right signals.

Multimeter set on resistance can help you confirm what the wires are by looking for low/high resistance or use a battery and test light.

If working off a stock wiring harness you should be able to find a wiring diagram and get an idea of the colors.

zrobe95
04-26-2015, 11:00 PM
Alright I'll tackle that tomorrow and let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the input much appreciated!

zrobe95
04-27-2015, 1:25 PM

This is what I am working with..I cannot figure out where I need to wire the signals up so they are only signals and no longer marker lights. Help please! This is the last piece of the puzzle for me, then she will be complete!

forty4ma9
04-27-2015, 9:18 PM
You wiring diagram is showing that from the handle bar switch you will have: Dark green for Common 12V in (flasher, shown as Turn signal relay); Sky Blue for Right signal output; Orange for Left signal output. Also looks like they run black from turn signal indicator out to the original signals, see attached in red circle. Either test the black wires, splice run wires from the orange and blue of the switch connector, or find where the indicator light was wired in.

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp54/forty4ma9/meh/cm450.png

zrobe95
04-27-2015, 11:45 PM
So if I am understanding correctly I need to find the wires for the flasher and switch them with the run wires? I'm still muddy on understanding what to do..thanks for being so patient with me!

forty4ma9
04-28-2015, 4:19 AM
If your wiring is still close to stock you may still have the wires in the harness so I would start by checking for the factory wires. If you had three wires on the original lights and hooked up a black and a dark green try switching to the other black one (sure is nice they switched to black wires for both running light and the turn signal and used dark green for ground). You try to trace the wires from switch to the indicator lights to try and find the black wires.

If the wires have been removed/damaged/just too old you can fix them by running new wires but its more time, money, and not everyone enjoys that. If you need to run new wires remove the headlight and find the connector for the turn signal switch coming off the handlebar and run the sky blue wires to the right signals and the orange wires to the left signals.