PDA

View Full Version : xs650 charging issue, kinda stumped...

CMA406
05-12-2010, 1:40 PM
ok guys, so on my xs im barley chargin 12v, usually just under 12, and doesnt get any higher when i rev it. the bike is a 76, pamco ignition, new jeep regulator, new home made recitfier (pamcopete style), new brushes, good battery, checked the rotor i got 5-7ish ohms, and the feeler guage pulls against the cover when i hold it there......so im kind of at a wall now. i guess the regulator could be bad out of the box? but idk how to test it cause its hardwired in...

bike is running like a raped ape, just not chargin proper, and ideas?

thanks fellas.

shop102
05-13-2010, 7:55 AM
i would go with a STOCK Yamaha XS650 reg/rec. They come from the 80-84 years. If thats not an option.....did you un-ground your brushes. Should have 4 screws and you need to put 3 nylon screws and leave one stocker in.

mojo1272
05-13-2010, 5:31 PM
check that each leg of the stator is not grounding, if not then fire it up and put the multimeter on AC and check each leg of the stator for out put...leg to leg. Should be like 18 to 20 something volts. If thats what you got stator/rotor is good so should be something in reg/rec or wiring. If the old feeler guage sucks to the cover when key is on brushes should be good(delivering 12v to excite rotor. Check grounds for reg/rec...just found that problem on a cb750dohc thats in the shop.

CMA406
05-14-2010, 10:58 AM
i would go with a STOCK Yamaha XS650 reg/rec. They come from the 80-84 years. If thats not an option.....did you un-ground your brushes. Should have 4 screws and you need to put 3 nylon screws and leave one stocker in.

oh shit i though you only needed the nylon screws on 80 and up xs's that did this mod.... ill give it a try...

CMA406
05-14-2010, 10:59 AM
check that each leg of the stator is not grounding, if not then fire it up and put the multimeter on AC and check each leg of the stator for out put...leg to leg. Should be like 18 to 20 something volts. If thats what you got stator/rotor is good so should be something in reg/rec or wiring. If the old feeler guage sucks to the cover when key is on brushes should be good(delivering 12v to excite rotor. Check grounds for reg/rec...just found that problem on a cb750dohc thats in the shop.

ok, ill double check all the grounds and such, and newb question, but how do i test each leg of the stator....

CMA406
05-14-2010, 2:13 PM
ok just another update, i rechecked everything that i had before, still got about 5.5 ohms between rings, BUT, i rechecked the feeler guage test, and there was pretty much no magnetic pull, even with the cover off. brushes are almost brand new, is this lookin like a bad rotor/stator?

i also disconnected my regulator to see if anything would change, and nothing happened. im pretty sure its a bad rotor/stator, but would like some second opinions before throwin down the cash for a new one.

but, im still alittle confused cause my ohm rotor testing is still within spec, but no magnetic pull. oh and someone mentioned testing between the brushes i think, i put a probe on each brush (after removing one wire) and it showed nothing 12.4 ohms? which seems really high? the rectifier wouldnt be causing any of this would it?

thanks for the help fellas, makes this site rad.