PDA

View Full Version : Hardtail Kwak build help, advice and tips required

shayne
04-08-2015, 6:38 AM
Hi guys , it's been a while but I'm in the process of trial fitting my bargain basement parts and spares I have left over from the donor bike and I'm know at the point of installing my wiring and foot controls.
Before everyone says I should have gone for a Different engine I cant afford a vtwin engine so I've gone for a 4cyl kawasaki z650 engine in this build as I had the whole hardtailed bike for cheap. I wasn't happy with the hardtail conversion so I've had a whole new hard tail frame made.

I want to know what people think about foot controls. I would like forward controls for 3 reasons, it looks cool, the seating position would be more comfortable and it helps me get over an obstacle of how I would get the back brake to work as opposed to set back controls, but my problem is would forward controls stick out too far because of the inline 4 engine and ground on the floor when cornering? Have other people had this issue or not?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/shayneperry/AFBEA75B-4B70-410D-9571-72C95B7A0A5B_zps3orbrttt.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/shayneperry/media/AFBEA75B-4B70-410D-9571-72C95B7A0A5B_zps3orbrttt.jpg.html)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/shayneperry/2CF41035-D28D-4E64-9E60-325BA6F10F10_zps3jpj0vdd.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/shayneperry/media/2CF41035-D28D-4E64-9E60-325BA6F10F10_zps3jpj0vdd.jpg.html)

loddytoddy
04-08-2015, 7:21 AM
i'd think the forwards would stick out too far. you could do high mids.. then you can stand up over large bumps..
nice looking build thus far..

Hammytime
04-08-2015, 4:47 PM
Im in the process of hardtailing a kz650 myself. Im to the point of figuring out my foot controls as well. I was originally going to go forward controls but when i thought about it the more i was convinced it wouldnt go well with the hardtail specifically for bumps, dips, RR tracks, etc. Im gonna want to stand so my back doesnt take the shock. I havent figured out how or where to put my controls yet. It's gonna be tricky. I lowered the bike and extended it with the hard tail and im 6'2". I dont think i planned enough. If i figure out something that works ill pass it along.

farmall
04-08-2015, 7:29 PM
One way to experiment would be to weld mounting blocks or bungs to your frame within range of where you want your controls to go. Then you could try different mounts (plate or whatever) without fucking with your frame because they would come on and off with two bolts. If the bungs go through the frame (really sleeves rather than bungs) you don't have to tap the holes in the mount.

Look at a set of stock Dyna or FXR mid controls on Ebay for some pics of how they attach to the frame.

shayne
04-09-2015, 3:00 PM
Thanks for the replies chaps,

I will check out the dyna and fxr mounts to see what your talking about but didn't think about standing etc. I will definetley want to do this as I feel the hard tail will punish me for long rides

I'm hoping to have a guy come round on the weekend to see if my forks can be milled to accept my front wheel. As its tight at the moment, I can't fit the speedo drive and the disc bolts are microns away from the fork leg. I Will use some counter sink Allen key bolts for the disc but want to mill the Hub a bit and the fork legs so I can slide the speedo drive in and allow a small spacer. Fun and games hey.

davidabl
04-09-2015, 3:46 PM
I've done about 5,000 miles on a rigid Kawasaki..and i'd advise anybody against the combination of rigid+forwards. Being able to stand up when you need to stand up just might let you avoid getting tossed off the bike if you have to hit a big bump at speed. Being able to shift your weight around over the bike like dirt riders do might allow you to keep it upright if you come across something slippery-like sand in the road-or worse. Being able to shift some body weight to the inside on curves will also allow more 'lean' before something drags pavement..that's why road-racers "drag knees"

Dieselchanic
04-09-2015, 5:12 PM
Personally, I prefer mids on a hardtail, or any frame really. Better control imo. Also you can do with less linkage because you can run a standard shifter without linkage...

Having said that, I've seen plenty of Honda cb750's with forwards, so it is possible with the wide engine. You would definitely need to mount them up a little and have folding pegs though..

KeysRyder
04-09-2015, 5:39 PM
Not to knock your build because it looks great. But you say you can't afford a v-twin engine, but yet you get that awesome frame and other nice goodies. Come on just admit you are a just a Kawi fan!!

shayne
04-10-2015, 3:15 AM
Not a kawi fan TBH, I like most bikes.

I wanted a bobber And found an ongoing project for cheap. Based on a kawasaki z650 hardtail. Started to strip it down and found the welds on the hard tail were awful and the tail wasn't 100% square so priced up having it jigged and welded again and the effort required and messing abou after with filler and sand blasting and thought balls I'll buy a new frame that I'm happy with and I don't have to use filler on.

The frame was a bargain at 300 and the chap welded the mounting kit in for me too. So I haven't had to shell out a lot of money yet and as I have the donor bike, with frame and engine numbers with papers Etc it's a shame not to use it. This is my first build anyway so after this there will be another vtwin build.

Dieselchanic
04-10-2015, 5:46 AM
Well... V-twins are ok.. But all the cool chops are 4 bangers :D

shayne
04-10-2015, 3:34 PM
With you on that fella

davidabl
04-11-2015, 11:43 AM
Well... V-twins are ok.. But all the cool chops are 4 bangers :D
here in the USA anyways the Kaw cop bikes are plentiful. And very cheap.
On a budget you could "bob" one for a couple of hundred bucks tops

turbonate
04-11-2015, 8:53 PM
http://youtu.be/5CXUJr541gA
I love my Kawi chop.

I had a cb with forwards, when I built my KZ I left the pegs I. The stock location and I like it a whole lot better. I definitely recommend mids.

4444Design
04-12-2015, 2:31 PM
can't give any hints concerning the controls but looks like a cool start anyway

keep us updated

shayne
04-14-2015, 4:38 PM
Thanks for the info guys,

I've not got much of an update as yet. Forks and front wheel are with a friend who is going to make some top hats to fit the skinny axle and larger axle hole, he also has to mill away some fork leg meat and a few mm off the hub flanges to allow the wheel and speedo drive to slide in and be spaced.

Having a custom sprocket made to fit harley wheel but be identical tooth and size to kawasaki one so the geariing stays right.

Saving to buy new disc for rear wheel until the I can't mount my caliper. Need to find a caliper and bracket as well.

Waiting on new levers to arrive before I can assemble the handle bars.

Waiting on a new top yoke with risers to arrive as the gsxr forks use clip ons.

Need to arrange for some seat spring mounts to me machined

Need to find some time to plan my wire layout and routes as I'd like it internal.

Need to buy a new kick lever as the one I have Isn't the right one and the back edge is crushing the clutch casing when fully compressed.

Lots going one, parts arriving daily. Sod all time to have a good play with it as too many pies and not enough fingers

Will try and make a start this weekend and get some photos up.

Warlok
04-15-2015, 7:10 PM
I have 79 kz750 hardtailed but it's skinny so the forwards don't stick out to much but my engine is a twin not the inline 4. 58958

shayne
04-20-2015, 2:56 PM
That's a nice ride mate. What tank is that?

Warlok
04-20-2015, 9:45 PM
I believe it's the ccw narrow alien if not it's something close. If your talking to me haha

shayne
04-24-2015, 4:38 PM
Yeah I was talking to you warlok.

Does any one know what type bolt is used on a harley hub? Had my sprocket made and gone to mount it and I don't have a bolt in my collection that will thread in nice.

The thread pitch looks quite wide and I'd say the bolt would have to be around m10 or 11.