PDA

View Full Version : 1976 cj360 project/electrical

bobberadam
04-02-2015, 1:16 PM
Hey all, This will be my first dive into a small japanese bike, I have always done british and harley, but i was bored and didnt have a lot of money so here i go cutting this one up, My first question is, i need a wiring diagram i can find cb ones but i have read that cb and cj's are different. Also i have read this bike could possibly be a 6 volt system is there any truth to that? The bike is not currently running and my buddy i bought it from says it had an electrical problem, so i am digging into it before i start chopping. Thanks in advance for any help. Here is a picture when i brought it home.

some1else
04-02-2015, 3:42 PM
6 volts in 76 ,I hardly think so,never heard of a cj,cb yes,cl yes,but I havent messed with Hondas much since the early 80's ,the important stuff for the wiring should be the same like ignition,lights,signals,horn and so forth

CarloFreeze
04-02-2015, 11:20 PM
Since it's sort of an extension of the CB360, I highly doubt that Honda would have went back to a 6V system in the mid 70's.

CraiGORE
04-03-2015, 6:48 AM
6v only on the singles. A twin cylinder should be 12v. CB and CJ wiring should be the same? I have a manual, let me take a look today.

bobberadam
04-03-2015, 9:10 AM
Thank you everyone for the help, I thought it was strange it would be 6V, but i have been surprised before.

JetBlackII
04-03-2015, 10:02 AM
http://www.cmsnl.com/classic-honda-fansite/honda_wiring_diagrams/CB-CJ-CL360.jpg

That should be the diagram for your bike... 6v or 12v is an iffy guess when it comes to 70's Honda's, but all of them can be made into 12v pretty easily stock stators of the day put out over 10,000 volts at charge rpm's even on the tiny bastards. The difference is the field windings used on the stators, one winding took care of lights, and one winding took care of charging... so the biggest issue people get jumping from 6v to 12v are those two windings getting mixed up. If you hook the primary winding to the secondary winding or vice versa... then one is going to suffer because one of the windings is rated to a certain out put. Can you combine the primary and secondary windings? Yeah but, you run the risk of popping bulbs that's why the combining needs to come in after the rectifier/regulator business where output really doesn't matter if it goes one place or the other. A Radio Shack type of rectifier works great has a hole in it for mounting... can't think of the numbers off the top off my head but easy to web search them out in 6v to 12v conversions.

Pretty sure the CJ is a 12v though pull one of the bulbs and it will say it right on it.

bobberadam
04-04-2015, 11:47 PM
Got it all sorted out, thank you everyone for your help!

Phantom309
04-05-2015, 7:55 PM
It's certainly a 12 volt system. The only reason the wiring on a CJ would be different, is because the CJ was an "economy" model, and was built without an electric starter. So there will be no starter button and associated handlebar wiring, and no starter solonoid (and relay if equipped), and the starter motor itself, and associated wires. The CJ360's also had a two into one exhaust, and a five speed gearbox.

bobberadam
04-06-2015, 6:15 AM
After i got it running, i tore it down and started a quick mock up with parts i had laying around, the finished product will look something similar to this.