PDA

View Full Version : Looking for options on my suzuki gs650

beardedxglory
03-31-2015, 10:39 PM
Finally got her home last week and I'm dying to get her on the road. I plan on getting it ridable then working towards a brat style cafe. Problem is Im new to the fabricating world and I figure this is a great place for some advice. My tank is rusted and beat to shit and im debating if its worth the effort of trying to save it. Ive also been told the front forks MAY be bent but im not seeing it. So my big questions are what tanks are you guys running other than stock and what kind of forks are easy to swap on the gs'? Also wheres a good place to find fiberglass and resin to build my own seat? I plan lowering the rear with smaller shocks and making a cafe seat with more of a dovetail shape instead of the bump. Looking forward to some Inspiration!

Magnificentbastard
04-01-2015, 6:37 AM
Finally got her home last week and I'm dying to get her on the road. I plan on getting it ridable then working towards a brat style cafe. Problem is Im new to the fabricating world and I figure this is a great place for some advice. My tank is rusted and beat to shit and im debating if its worth the effort of trying to save it. Ive also been told the front forks MAY be bent but im not seeing it. So my big questions are what tanks are you guys running other than stock and what kind of forks are easy to swap on the gs'? Also wheres a good place to find fiberglass and resin to build my own seat? I plan lowering the rear with smaller shocks and making a cafe seat with more of a dovetail shape instead of the bump. Looking forward to some Inspiration!

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/50530327.jpg

loddytoddy
04-01-2015, 7:15 AM
gs's aren't the easiest to "cafe" or what ever. you're gonna be making a lot of your own shit.. nothing bolt on or after market for these bikes.
I have a gs 750 and everything I had to do myself. the local auto parts store has fiberglass and resin for your seat.
as for the tank? it's a triple back bone so the tunnel is super wide.. good luck finding an after market tank to fit... I love the GS it's just not the easiest platform to work with.
your is a shaft driven bike so lowering can be a pain as well as the shaft is then cocked weird all the time.

beardedxglory
04-01-2015, 11:25 AM
I think i actually like the gs' as much as they do BECAUSE theres no easy kits for them. Its rare to see someone on them. And mines actually an e model so its chain drive. But i guess the e's are hard to find and the guys over at gsresources lose their shit if you talk about doing anything other than a restore. I noticed voodoo vintage was working on a hardtail but i havent found any updates on it.

beardedxglory
04-01-2015, 11:48 AM

loddytoddy
04-01-2015, 12:22 PM
https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/998820_10151681092148704_519315970_n.jpg?oh=59f555 50a815e7f1d7a83ca310c76590&oe=55B76D0E

mine is a 750.. it is in the process of a new fender/seat cowl now made from an wide glide rear fender.

beardedxglory
04-01-2015, 7:57 PM
Looks awesome man! I hope mine comes out half that good.

deathmetaldan
04-02-2015, 2:45 AM
those forks are fucked, you might want to check the neck as well. You said you dont see it, lay a yardstick or something on the front of the trees and you will see they are bent back towards the engine. That just gives you a good reason for a front end swap as long as the neck is good.

Dont be in a rush, most old jap cruisers have wide tunnels so just look around for a tank you like that is in good shape. IMO that little plastic bit behind the stock seat would make a good base for a new seat/rear fender.

beardedxglory
04-05-2015, 6:06 AM
Yeah i was worried about that. I was kinda wanting a new front end anyway so I'll see what I can figure out. And I actually had the same thought on the back. I'd really like to attempt making my own the way I have it pictured but thats my back up. Hell, should be easy enough to cut the frame where I wanted and refigure the mounts for it.