PDA

View Full Version : First Harley, First Chop

Dethgrip001
03-20-2015, 8:45 PM
Picked up a '72 Ironhead from a coworker for $1000. Supposedly runs, but has a charging issue and spits some oil.

I've got experience but mostly on Japanese SOHC 4's. Plan is to hardtail, rake the neck, build springers, king/queen seat, etc.

I know from some reading that the '72/73 sportsters have some year specific parts but it's hard to get a grasp on how hard it will be to find parts for a top end job if that ends up being necessary. Can anyone speak to this?

Just wanted to check in and start a build thread, hopefully in a year or less I'll have a lean and mean chopper.

speedandnoise
03-21-2015, 6:15 AM
That's a '73 front end, which is one year only with the banana caliper. '72 would have been the last year for the drum front end. '72 was a weird year for the jugs- first year 1000 but basically a bored out 900. You can only bore them out a couple of times before reaching the limits of the cylinder. I'm not positive but I think the later 1000 cylinders might fit?

Dragstews
03-21-2015, 9:40 AM
72 was a weird year for the jugs- first year 1000 but basically a bored out 900. You can only bore them out a couple of times before reaching the limits of the cylinder. I'm not positive but I think the later 1000 cylinders might fit?

72-E73 was a bad design for the heads/jugs.... As said, a .030 overbore is the max on them...
You can sleeve them back to std size if you had the need to do so...

The L73 and up jugs will bolt down on the early 1000cc cases...Base pattern is the same.
Must also use the heads being the head bolt pattern is diff.
They moved the head-bolts further out to allow more meat in the bore, can bore the latter jugs to .070 over,,,

Dethgrip001
03-21-2015, 7:52 PM
So to make sure I have it right, I could use jugs from a later model, but would have to find heads that match those jugs?

Also - the bike is right side shift. I was thinking of modifying to accommodate a right side jockey shift. Anyone have experience riding right side jockey and a left hand clutch? I can't decide if that would be too much to deal with and safely shift. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Dethgrip001
03-21-2015, 7:57 PM
Oh also - how hard is it to add a kicker? It seems the case is drilled and plugged

JuiceJames
03-23-2015, 12:26 AM
So to make sure I have it right, I could use jugs from a later model, but would have to find heads that match those jugs?

Also - the bike is right side shift. I was thinking of modifying to accommodate a right side jockey shift. Anyone have experience riding right side jockey and a left hand clutch? I can't decide if that would be too much to deal with and safely shift. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16302&highlight=side+jockey+shift

There are some dude that have done it in that thread.