PDA

View Full Version : Parkerizing a springer

FredoSNR
03-12-2015, 11:18 AM
Anyone ever parkerize an entire springer or another large part? Any recommend shops that could do it for me in SoCal?

BuddhahoodVato
03-12-2015, 12:47 PM
Google Palmers Book and the do your homework. Hot plate some elbow grease etc, and your good to go. Buy some surgical gloves. Done some stuff awhile back gotta keep the pieces clean for it to look good. Good luck.
Anyone ever parkerize an entire springer or another large part? Any recommend shops that could do it for me in SoCal?

Smiley
03-12-2015, 1:45 PM
You may not be to happy with 'home' Parkerizing like we do on firearms since the coating is extremely thin and wears easily. If you go up a few notches it cost more than it's worth to do at home so you're correct in looking for a shop. Most outfits that do anodizing also do Parker.

BuddhahoodVato
03-12-2015, 2:54 PM
I have to disagree to some degree, my shit came out real tuff, once I keep the pieces surgical clean. But then again I have never paid anyone to parkerize, to compare too.
You may not be to happy with 'home' Parkerizing like we do on firearms since the coating is extremely thin and wears easily. If you go up a few notches it cost more than it's worth to do at home so you're correct in looking for a shop. Most outfits that do anodizing also do Parker.

DustyDave
03-12-2015, 3:42 PM
If it's going to stay inside all the time parkerizing and you don' t forget to oil it regularly it would probably be ok. If I wanted the look of parkerizing I would have some paint mixed to match the parkerize color I liked or pick a powder that is close.
Dusty

FredoSNR
03-12-2015, 4:22 PM
Google Palmers Book and the do your homework. Hot plate some elbow grease etc, and your good to go. Buy some surgical gloves. Done some stuff awhile back gotta keep the pieces clean for it to look good. Good luck.

Yeah, I have Palmers book, and I've seen how to do it, but I'd rather it be done by a pro if I do it. Months of saving and searching for a VL, another couple hundred or whatever I'm not worried about.

rm
03-15-2015, 3:25 PM
Try a company called Caswell. They sell a home parkerizing kit that works very well. It is called their black oxide kit. The trick with their kit is to mildly pre heat the parts you want parkerized. We just ran a torch over all the parts for my 62 that needed doing. each part should be warm enough so that a slight amount of steam is released when you immerse it in the solution. obviously good prep is needed so bead blast your parts very thoroughly getting rid of oil and any greasy build up. As with all parkerizing it will not adhere to plated surfaces so if the springer was previously chromed make sure all of the chrome and especially the nickel underneath is removed. I used a hand grinder with a flapper wheel to remove any bits of left over nickel under old chrome. Hope this helps.

bobscogin
03-16-2015, 7:45 AM
Just a thought here.--If it's an original Harley springer that was assembled by brazing, Parkerizing isn't a good option if any of the brass is showing as the process doesn't work on non-ferrous metals. If there's no brass in it, or brass showing, it's good to go.

Bob

38knuckle
03-16-2015, 10:53 AM
Google it.
Also look up Bonderizing.

FredoSNR
03-16-2015, 4:08 PM
Google it.

Your contribution has been invaluable.

rm
03-16-2015, 10:10 PM
Agreed and excellent point

bohica2xo
03-16-2015, 10:56 PM
Parkerizing is a paint prep. If you want to use it as a finish, you should wipe it down with linseed oil as soon as it is dry from the last rinse. That is why old Garands & Springfields look green.

Cam shops have a parkerizing tank big enough. A smaller shop like Schneider in San Diego might be willing to help you out.