PDA

View Full Version : first couple kicks and..

DroppedIt
03-10-2015, 5:04 PM
Nothing! Hoping somone might have seen this before and lend a hand? This is my first bike and its a77 xs650, long straight pipes and pods of course, wired pamco and coil only to test before I put the pma in.

Got it test wired, checked cam chain tension, valve lash is in spec to manual. carbs cleaned out awhile back with pine sol (read a faq here), floats are set to spec, new fuel line. I kicked the shit out of it about 50 times. it would either not fire, fire and die or run for about 3 seconds. The weird part; Twice i unhooked the battery and messed around checking shit and as soon as I applied power again it shot a white puff of pine sol smelling smoke out of the left pod.

i was wondering if timing was off and it was on the power stroke maybe or, more likely..carbs? one bowl is definitely full but the left one is either sealed correctly or just not getting gas. Hoping someone can chime in before I yank the carbs again or start messing with the pamco advance? or maybe its a shit battery, that thing is already suspect..

Thank you!

JRyan
03-10-2015, 6:50 PM
did you rejet the carbs for the pods and pipes?

DroppedIt
03-10-2015, 6:56 PM
nah not yet. I feel like it should at least start and run like shit for a few before killing? I could be wrong, I fell down a bunch as a kid. I think it may be timing? plugs have some gas on them and I get spark from each plug, grounded to the frame? I cant even get a mercy firing at this point. my goal right now is just to get it running bwfore I tune lol

JRyan
03-10-2015, 7:08 PM
I fell down a bunch as a kid.

haha! most likely a combination of things. best thing to do is to do everything as close as you can get it before starting. static timing, carbs cleaned and jetted relatively close. you can guesstimate and get it pretty close.

if youre dead set on getting it started right now you can do some light random tweeking. turn the idle screws up a little (equally on both carbs). timing is prob not that far off if it ran for 3 seconds. you may be beating a dead horse thou if the carbs havent been cleaned or rejetted,

DroppedIt
03-10-2015, 7:17 PM
shit. I was afraid of that. I 'll give the carbs the old once over again and get jets. Thanks JRyan!

JRyan
03-10-2015, 7:41 PM
no prob.

never heard of the pinesol thing. carb cleaner is good because it shoots a jet stream, good for cleaning out passages, and knowing that theyre clean because you can see the cleaner shooting out the other side.

metalheart28
03-10-2015, 8:10 PM
Could be your battery man. With the stock charging system they don't wanna run very well if at all with a bad battery

junkman
03-10-2015, 11:14 PM
Pine Sol is a terrible thing to use on aluminum. It causes corrosion that is called smut. Its powdery and doesn't just wipe off Typically you should de-smut them to remove the smut. There is an aluminum de-smut solution you can get from Caswell. If you smell Pine Sol when trying to start it, you've got Pine Sol trapped in the carbs. I would get those carbs desmutted and then run them through an ultrasonic cleaner with water and lemon dishwashing soap. Pull the plugs and clean em of cause they are probably fouled from the Pine Sol.

loddytoddy
03-11-2015, 7:34 AM
get to TDC (look in the plug hole) once it's TDC make sure your magnets on the pamco are horizontal and the first magnet is lining up right on top of the little square pick up.. timing is set.

but if that's all good then get them carbs rejetted.. jets are cheap. buy a few different sizes.

DroppedIt
03-11-2015, 9:55 AM
fuckin a guys thanks for the tips! who would have thought you cant believe everything you read on the internet..

datadavid
03-12-2015, 5:12 AM
Redline fuel system cleaner is superior, speaking from experience!

DroppedIt
03-14-2015, 5:08 PM
Well I took everyones advice here and it fired off, First.Fucking.Kick. you dudes are genius' and I cant thank you enough. I rescued this bike from a an old garage in Wi. 2 years ago. it had been sitting for like 6 or 7 years or some shit. ive been fucking with it for 2 years in my free time. This has been a long time coming and you guys hooked it up too. Thanks!!! Ive got a lot of work to do. Later!

http://youtu.be/imwvC2Nvbu8