PDA

View Full Version : Honda Shadow - My First Build Thread

Skumbo
03-05-2015, 9:14 AM
So a year ago I decided I wanted to get a motorcycle and absolutely fell in love with it.

Ive always been a car guy, but budget/space wise (living in apartments and now a condo w a 1 bay garage), I figured I'd snag a bike and see how I liked it. I absolutely fell in LOVE with it.

So after putting around stock (boo!!) for a year, this fun New England winter (I'm in New Hampshire) has given me some down time and I really want to get in to this full on.

So heres my first build, I figure if I do a thread Ill be able to get input from others with more experience and ask some questions as needed (I'm mostly worried about wiring).

SO! Heres the part you guys want, the BIKE:

its a 2009 Honda Shadow Spirit 750 C2

it was bone stock other than some dings (mostly rear fender dinged up from the crappy bags which have been removed), it only had 3000 miles on it.

Here is the before, the day I got it and changed the oil and coolant.

Here are my goals for this build:
Chop the fender/replace with much shorter bobber style one.
Relocate license plate to the side.
change all the lighting to LED.
The seat sucks.
Wrap Pipes
Custom bars/grips...
Custom controls - the stock turn signal buttons SUCK (I fight with them and mine sticks and hates to cancel. I did a group ride and was told 3-4 times my blinkers were on when I definitely tried to cancel them.)

Relocate start buttons to side/somewhere unconventional/cool.

My goal is to go mostly flat black, Brass accents, and possibly red (wheels..seat..?)

First thing I'm going to do is pull all the plastic "chrome" off and make it flat black.

Pics will happen!

Any input, ideas, etc. are GREATLY appreciated. I kind of want to just start going and see where it takes me. I dont want to spend a ton of $$ up front, but I'm fine putting a few hundred bucks a month into it as it slowly evolves.

Two more pics for fun (taken at the shop I got it from)

EVILBLACKSABRE
03-05-2015, 8:44 PM
With the turn signal switch, it may just need a good cleaning and some grease. I have two Honda Shadows, and both turn signal switches eventually started sticking and needed cleaning (dirt/dust gets in there while riding). After cleaning and greasing they worked perfect. And if you don't know or aren't familiar with Honda turn signal switches, you only have to push the switch button inward to cancel.

I look forward to seeing what you do with the bike.

Skumbo
03-06-2015, 8:25 AM
With the turn signal switch, it may just need a good cleaning and some grease. I have two Honda Shadows, and both turn signal switches eventually started sticking and needed cleaning (dirt/dust gets in there while riding). After cleaning and greasing they worked perfect. And if you don't know or aren't familiar with Honda turn signal switches, you only have to push the switch button inward to cancel.

I look forward to seeing what you do with the bike.

Thanks for the advice! I looked at it and cleaned to see if that would make it better - it only has 4000 miles on it now... somehow the switch is warped, it still hangs up on occation/doesnt want to depress.. previous owner did something stupid to it methinks... But - Its an excuse to rip it off and add custom stuff. :D

C5rider
03-06-2015, 8:17 PM
Nice bike!

As I'm sure you'll already know, the Honda Shadow is a great bike, and an awesome first motorcycle. I've got two now.

Keep us informed how things progress!

Skumbo
03-08-2015, 11:44 AM
Ordered a fender, seat/springs, and lights. Figured id remove the massive dinged up rear fender. (Is this thing worth trying to sell or just scrap it?) One of my lights was cracked on the inside somehow, so I chucked it. This was the other one...

Man these things are Ugly:

Fender removed, anyone want it? haha:

Everything removed:

I've never done wiring so this will be fun when it all comes in O.o

EVILBLACKSABRE
03-08-2015, 2:35 PM
In regards to the stock fender, there are a lot of people out there with Honda Shadow vt750's. I'll bet some of them are looking for a rear fender, either to replace a mangled one, or to modify it. They are often willing to buy and fix a dinged fender, bondo them, and re-paint them.

Brand new stock fenders are expensive. I checked, and a new rear fender (just the sheet metal) for that bike in that color costs around $250-$290 . The taillight and underframe are worth money as well. Check ebay to see if there are any used/dinged vt750 Spirit fenders listed for sale and what people are asking for them. I certainly wouldn't throw the fender away. Who knows, you might get a hundred bucks for it. Not to mention the other stuff.

Never throw away stock parts. Chances are there is someone out there willing to pay money for them (from my experience, stock turn signals are always in demand. it's common for them to get broken from dropped bikes and other mishaps). Look for a Honda Spirit forum, or a Shadow forum. You might find buyers there for any parts you don't want.

Skumbo
03-08-2015, 2:46 PM
In regards to the stock fender, there are a lot of people out there with Honda Shadow vt750's. I'll bet some of them are looking for a rear fender, either to replace a mangled one, or to modify it.

Brand new stock fenders are expensive. I checked, and a new rear fender (just the sheet metal) for that bike in that color costs around $250-$290 . The taillight and underframe are worth money as well. Check ebay to see if there are any used/dinged vt750 Spirit fenders listed for sale and what people are asking for them. I certainly wouldn't throw the fender away. Who knows, you might get a hundred bucks for it. Not to mention the other stuff.

Never throw away stock parts. Chances are there is someone out there willing to pay money for them (from my experience, stock turn signals are always in demand). Look for a Honda Spirit forum, or a Shadow forum. You might find buyers there for any parts you don't want.

thanks, that's what I figured!

Now to figure out what to do for an aftermarket indicator switch.

Mocnyang
03-08-2015, 7:48 PM
Even if they don't sell KEEP IT! You never know if you could chop it and use these parts on another build. Once you build up enough take offs you could also barter the for that part you really want or need!

My bike originally started as a dresser and I sold off the fairings and bags. I was left with the surrounding bars, crash bars, and windshield. 3 years later I found a guy looking for original parts for his bike and he traded me a mustang solo seat for those parts I had laying around. You never know when you need them!

wastedyouth2542
03-08-2015, 8:09 PM
exactly...^ i threw away my stock ripped set on my 86 shadow because it was crappy and ripped. I rode my bike today with a piece of cardboard and a t shit as a seat.. I'm an idiot.

Crowe138
03-10-2015, 10:11 AM
Here's a bitchin site that works pretty well for calculating honda shadow jetting and jet kit set ups incase you want to ever change your exhaust or intake

http://carbjetkits.com/bikes-with-jet-kit-calculator.html

wastedyouth2542
03-10-2015, 10:57 AM
^ i just ordered my jets from them as well

Skumbo
03-11-2015, 1:22 PM
Ive never taken apart a carb, so thats the ONE thing im worried about screwing up. I would love to rejet it and put different intakes or at least modding the intake to let it breathe better.

I did the "hole saw" mod and the stock pipes sound about where I like it - Im not one for crazy loud bikes, but enough where I can actually hear it over 40 lol!

Skumbo
03-11-2015, 1:23 PM
Also -

Fender, lights, grips, and seat shipped! :D

ordered bars and some custom switches. I am going to stick w/ the stock turn signal switch housing and throttle body for now and see if I can clean them out really well/paint the housing black when I take everything off. if that doesnt work ill find custom switches, but im against my budget right now for a few months because I caved and bought a glock yesterday -_-

Skumbo
03-23-2015, 9:22 PM
Im putting together some videos to show what ive done, mostly bolt on stuff as I cant weld or anything, went for some BCB stuff. Chopped the frame (took a vid! My first chop ever!) and whatnot. Its coming out pretty sweet :)

Skumbo
03-27-2015, 12:34 PM
Chopping the frame to make room for dat fender :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xPk-FcKbBM&list=UUbCbsKzituTTW4GbArCmvXw