PDA

View Full Version : VTX 1800 Clutch Issue

Hotel
03-04-2015, 9:40 PM
Not "chop" status.

I picked my VTX up about 3 years ago. Here's some background on the bike. I change oil religiously every 3,000 and I run nothing but Penzoil Conventional 10-40 with a fram filter. I've been riding since I was 13 so I'm well aware of how to operate a clutch without damaging it. Pushing 47,000 miles, (got it with 20,000). It's been a daily rider for 2 years, the past 9 months I've been an OTR truck driver and was never home so she sat in the barn. Just quit the driving job and back to daily riding. Clutch feels great then suddenly and randomly I reach for it and nothing is there. Pump it for a bit and it will suddenly come back. So I ran to auto zone today, got my Penzoil and Fram filter, also got 300 grit sandpaper and DOT 4 brake fluid. Pulled clutch plates out and ran over them with the 300 grit, drained the fluid from the reservoir and found it was dark and you could see darker strands floating in the fluid. Fresh fluid, bleeded the system, got the clutch plates back in, fresh oil, so tomorrow we will see if it did any good. I'll post my findings after a test ride in the 15 degree A.M.

2003 Honda VTX 1800C