PDA

View Full Version : switches for a vlx600

famous1080
03-03-2015, 4:33 AM
I'm trying to clean up my bars on a 88 vlx600. Does anyone have a how to or what wires go where when replacing the start switch and kill switch? I have the switches from tj brutal but I'm not sure which wires goes to the button Start switch.....

famous1080
03-03-2015, 10:43 AM
Here is the switch....

famous1080
03-04-2015, 7:33 AM
Here are the factory wires on the start switch ......

EVILBLACKSABRE
03-04-2015, 3:31 PM
I don't have a vlx, but I do have two Hondas.

Based on my starter switches I'd say that the yellow and black wires are for starting the bike, and the red/black and blue/white wires are for the headlight and indicator lights.

The way the starter switches on my Hondas work is, when the button is out (not being pressed in) the two wires closest to the button (red/black and blue/white on your switch) are connected by a contact inside the switch. This keeps the headlight and indicator lights working.

And when the button is pressed in, the contact is moved from the light wires to the starter wires (yellow and black on your switch), and starts the bike. The reason the switch is designed this way is to divert all the power from the battery to the starting motor when starting the bike. This is why the lights go out when the starter button is pressed on a Honda. And when the button is released the spring inside the switch moves the contact back to it's original position and the circuit for the lights is completed once again to keep the lights on.

I've seen people use a separate toggle switch for the lights. When starting the bike they turn the toggle switch off, press their starter button, and once the bike is running they turn the toggle switch to "on" to put the lights on.

Shittyvlx
03-04-2015, 4:05 PM
http://www.shadowriders.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23256 This isn't my write up but it helped me rewire my switches.