PDA

View Full Version : V star 650 mileage?

SwedishMatt
03-01-2015, 5:39 AM
Found a '99 Dragstar/V star/Xvs 650 for next to nothing. It has 33 000 miles on it which sounds a lot to me. What's the mileage to expect from these bikes? Given that the bike is in good condition otherwise and serviced and cared for properly. From the pictures I received from the owner it looks like it rolled of the production line yesterday but that doesn't mean the fluids been changed regularly and all that.

The bike will be for my girlfriend to get her license on and of course to chop it. I ride around 6000 miles per summer and the 650 will probably do half that, maybe even less.

What do you guys think? Go take a look at it or back away and look for one with less miles? It's about an hour or so by car to look at it.

JBDad85
03-01-2015, 8:39 AM
That kind of mileage is nothing if it's been taken care of...I've heard of some having 100k+ and still going strong. The main thing with these bikes (besides the obvious of keeping the oil changed) is keeping the splines lubed on the shaft drive and the diff. fluid changed, b/c if the rear drive goes out its a costly repair. Also, ask if the clutch has been upgraded with a Barnett kit...at that age and mileage it would be money well spent (not expensive or hard to do yourself) if it doesn't already have it.

zachpc2
03-01-2015, 10:58 AM
Just for the record, I ride a cb650, and I put over 9000 miles on it in one year and it handled it just fine. Don't underestimate the jap 650s

21guns
03-01-2015, 12:09 PM
Mines got 57xxx kms on it amd ive put that on it in less than three years. Only problem i had was the stator shot itself on me. Apart from that regular maintenance makes these things tough

SwedishMatt
03-02-2015, 9:49 AM
Ok that's good to know. Found another one last night that is up for sale. Same bike, same year, but only 15 000 miles and the price is the same so I'm gonna go and check that one out first.

Thanks for the replys guys, I'll keep you posted!