PDA

View Full Version : 84 cb650sc rat bobber/ weld-free first build

zachpc2
02-26-2015, 11:54 AM
So ive been on the cult here for about 2 years and I finally feel like my bikes made it to a point where I can justify a thread, so here goes.
bought the bike running off of a mechanic I was partying with for like a week. picked it up around 3 years ago all stock and beat up a bit.

zachpc2
02-26-2015, 12:02 PM
rode the bike as is for the first year because I had no cash for parts.
then, my first accident happened. I walked away with just a sprained wrist somehow, but my bike, well her headlight and that bulky gauge/dash setup just kinda blew up. i was happy cause both of those were fuckin ugly so i used this as an excuse to get myself a new headlight and speedo. and so the project began

zachpc2
02-26-2015, 12:13 PM
for the next six months i planned and when i got my tax return i gathered some parts.
a used bobber seat, frisco sporty tank, shorter shocks, one of those trailer fenders, some pod filters, side mount tail light, battery box (that i still have not used), and a fake oil can for the wires(which wound up not being used for a year. at this time i was using my dads garage for the little teardown and rebuild. now, i could only get a day off at the time and my dad lived a hundred miles. so this all happened over a single night without sleep.
but we tore it down, junked the horn and the turn signals, threw on the pods and threw the wires in the cavity where the airbox used to be.and swapped all the parts

zachpc2
02-26-2015, 12:20 PM
and i have no welding equipment so all brackets and whatnot involve bolts and bending metal plates. but anyway she sat like this and ran like a champ for all of about 3 months before the sad times. she broke down. for about 8 months.

zachpc2
02-26-2015, 12:31 PM
all the work from this point on happened in the backyard under a makeshift tent. while she was dead, i took out the engine, pulled it into my room, and tried to get it going again, but sadly i lack tools that were needed and i couldn't afford the mechanic. but i took advantage of the time, and finally cleaned up the wires. cut out a good half of the rats nest and tucked all the little electrical bits into the oil can. finally looked a little cleaner. then i hacked the pipes, made an extension and added drag baffles, and repainted the tank black, i wasn't really digging the green. i heat wrapped the pipes and threw some spikes on the fenders.
and just recently found a donor engine and dropped it in.
+1 contribution to the cult

zachpc2
02-26-2015, 12:37 PM
new handlebars, and heres how she sits now. still not really running, front lights not coming on, and it dies when i try to take off. but at the moment shes almost road worthy

EVILBLACKSABRE
02-26-2015, 2:52 PM
Looks good. Now just get her runnin' :cool:

zachpc2
02-26-2015, 3:02 PM
Lol so close

dylanjoseph29
02-26-2015, 3:13 PM
You ordered jets for it yet?

zachpc2
02-26-2015, 3:21 PM
Not yet. Waiting on a paycheck

zachpc2
02-26-2015, 3:22 PM
But my mechanic seems to think I can just modify my pods a bit, and not have to rejet

zachpc2
02-26-2015, 4:41 PM
Theoretically, could I get away with drilling out the jets just a tiny bit?

Nicklepage1010
02-26-2015, 4:52 PM
Just buy new ones

dylanjoseph29
02-26-2015, 6:46 PM
Just buy new ones

Agreed. Is the bike lean or rich? Should be way to lean right. Bike looks good. Tough lookin

PeteyD13
02-27-2015, 7:03 AM
Cool looking little bike man. Keep plugging away at it and you'll be riding in no time. Magic jets for those carbs if you're going to keep the pods on are 75/110s, with the pilot screws 3.5 turns out, and the pods taped up about 1/3 of the way. Jets are cheap, less than a buck each, so don't bother trying to drill out the old ones, just buy new. You can probably get it ridable just by adding fuel to mixture, 1/4 turn out on the pilot screws at a time until the throttle response is good from idle but you'll end up with it running rich. It'll have a big flat spot in the 6000 - 8000 rpm range. CV carbs are a pain. Flat slide carbs work much better with pods, but they're expensive.

dylanjoseph29
02-27-2015, 7:22 AM
Again with the tape. If the bike Is lean (too much air) than y can't he put a bigger jet instead of taping the filters? The air/fuel ratio has to be right but the more air and fuel a motor can burn the more power it makes. Why restrict air intake???

zachpc2
02-27-2015, 10:12 AM
Agreed. Is the bike lean or rich? Should be way to lean right. Bike looks good. Tough lookin

Its getting just way too much air. The jetkit site says I need 125s I'm running with 115s right now. And thanks btw

Pendulum
02-27-2015, 4:15 PM
Do a PROPER rebuild of those carbs, with new jets, and you'll be moving in the right direction.

Tear the carbs down and soak them in Berrymans carb dip, then blow them out with a couple cans of carb cleaner. If you have an air compressor, you can use that instead of using so much carb cleaner. Whether you use a compressor or the cans of carb cleaner, you want to blast some air through every possible hole on the carb, then follow it with carb cleaner. Replace the gaskets, and go up 2 sizes on your main jet and 1 on the pilot. Set the screws according to OEM specs, and start from there. Carb tuning isn't easy, but your bike's never going to run worth a shit with pods and those pipes unless you spend some time on the carbs.

PeteyD13
03-02-2015, 7:13 AM
Again with the tape. If the bike Is lean (too much air) than y can't he put a bigger jet instead of taping the filters? The air/fuel ratio has to be right but the more air and fuel a motor can burn the more power it makes. Why restrict air intake???

Sorry man, I don't have a text book answer for you. It's got something to do with the way a CV carb creates vacuum. Most of the boots that come with Pods block airflow into one of the air ports on the carbs. Some times you can trim away enough of the boot to get air flowing through so you don't need to tape up the pods, but a lot of the time the boots are too thin to trim, so you're stuck.

I know a couple of guys on CB900s (they use the same carbs) who run 95/125 jets with pods and 4 into 1 exhausts and don't need to tape the pods up. It could work. If he's already got the carbs apart and he has the jets it's worth a shot.

zachpc2
03-02-2015, 9:06 AM
Well I ordered the jet kit the other day, so I'm moving up to 95/125 so hopefully that does it. Otherwise I might just pull my hair out lol

PeteyD13
03-02-2015, 9:22 AM
Well I ordered the jet kit the other day, so I'm moving up to 95/125 so hopefully that does it. Otherwise I might just pull my hair out lol

Frustrating huh? I know the feeling, I have the same carbs with UNI filters. I'm going to try the same set up on my bike once it warms up enough to work on it. Hopefully it'll work out. If not, I'm going to start looking for a stock airbox and be done with it.

zachpc2
03-02-2015, 9:32 AM
I just couldn't stand the stock box man, too bulky

PeteyD13
03-02-2015, 1:57 PM
Yeah, the air box is isn't the prettiest part of the bike for sure.

http://www.steeldragonperformance.com/air_boxes_7.html These bad-boys might work ok too, I'm thinking about it.

zachpc2
03-02-2015, 2:03 PM
Those look slick

JuanCarlito
03-02-2015, 4:42 PM
I've got a 79 CB650 I am working on. Running pods on it as well. But I am going to put the stock air box on for now for tuning etc and then decide if I really want the pods. They seem to be more of a pain than they are worth lol

zachpc2
03-02-2015, 5:03 PM
I've got a 79 CB650 I am working on. Running pods on it as well. But I am going to put the stock air box on for now for tuning etc and then decide if I really want the pods. They seem to be more of a pain than they are worth lol

When I first got into mine, I kept the box on for a while, but I just couldn't stand how much space it consumes. But I had no idea how much of an annoyance it was gonna be once I swapped to pods. And yah I've been watching your build thread as well

JuanCarlito
03-06-2015, 1:45 AM
My stalled thread lol. Started cleaning the shop tonight so I can get back to things here. And yes, the stock air box is bulky and ugly as shit, but my thinking is if I put er back in long enough to get the bike running as best as possible, then I can switch back to pods and have a baseline to work off of. Instead of trying to tune using the pods right from scratch. I'll yet you know how my theory works lol

zachpc2
03-06-2015, 11:32 AM
Hah sounds like a solid plan. I finally got my jets in yesterday.I swapped them out, got all excited, then went to turn it over and nothing. So I fucked up a connection somewhere, or blew a fuse. I swear the headache never ends

wastedyouth2542
03-06-2015, 12:43 PM
cool looking bike, i totaled one of these and broke my back a little under two years ago. I healed up and thought the bike needed to scoot again! The back bone was bent so i cut the neck off and made a new frame, bike currently isn't done. Following the build keep it up. Also, i heard the cv carbs that came on the cb650's were almost impossible to run right without some type of air box or something, i never tried though. I have a set of cb750 carbs i'm going to try out but the spacing is a little different

zachpc2
03-06-2015, 4:40 PM
cool looking bike, i totaled one of these and broke my back a little under two years ago. I healed up and thought the bike needed to scoot again! The back bone was bent so i cut the neck off and made a new frame, bike currently isn't done. Following the build keep it up. Also, i heard the cv carbs that came on the cb650's were almost impossible to run right without some type of air box or something, i never tried though. I have a set of cb750 carbs i'm going to try out but the spacing is a little different

Yah my build started after I wrecked too.

Right now I'm having an issue with the electronics. I had everything going the other day but after I got done with the jets, now the damn bike won't even crank. The lights come on, but I turn the key and nothing. Spark plugs are all straight, and my connections all look solid so I'm a little lost now

zachpc2
03-06-2015, 10:54 PM
I could use some thoughts here honestly, I'm a bit lost. The damn bike won't crank at all. My connections all look solid, and the bike cranked the other day just fine, but now nothing. The lights come on but when I turn the key nothing happens. What might be the cause on this? Its kinda pissing me off

Mocnyang
03-07-2015, 12:40 AM
Did you check your fuses, there 4 10amp and 1 30amp.

My first guess would be that 30amp then one of the 10amps. After that you need to check all your switches.

you have the ignition switch, engine stop switch, starter switch, starter disconnect switch, and your starter magnetic switch which is where your 30amp fuse is. Don't forget that pesky neutral switch if you didn't disable that yet.

I hope you have a meter cause that will make this easy.

zachpc2
03-07-2015, 12:49 AM
Did you check your fuses, there 4 10amp and 1 30amp.

My first guess would be that 30amp then one of the 10amps. After that you need to check all your switches.

you have the ignition switch, engine stop switch, starter switch, starter disconnect switch, and your starter magnetic switch which is where your 30amp fuse is. Don't forget that pesky neutral switch if you didn't disable that yet.

I hope you have a meter cause that will make this easy.

Yah I don't have a meter, that's part of my problem, may have to pick one up. And I checked my fuses, and they're all fine. The main fuse had blown but I replaced it. And I can get rid of my neutral switch? I wired a new ignition in months ago but it was working great as is half a week ago.

Mocnyang
03-07-2015, 6:52 AM
The neutral switch is an normally open switch, all you'd have to do is find the wires and connect them together.

As for a meter I recommend the harbor freight special. I repair arcade and pinball machines for a living and I use this one works great. I repair down to component level with it as well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/ac-dc-digital-multimeter-37772.html

Mocnyang
03-07-2015, 7:06 AM
I would meter out those fuse sometimes they can look fine to the naked eye but they can still be blown.

zachpc2
03-11-2015, 12:22 PM
OK so I figured out that it was the solenoid that went bad, took me two days to replace it and bam! The hellcat purrs lol

So I took it for a spin, and noticed the front tire looked wobbly so I'm not sure if its unbalanced or loose, but I gotta figure that out first obviously. Aaand I got my first ticket today for the expired tag... sux

JuanCarlito
03-12-2015, 12:22 AM
Those new jest worked out well then? I am still trying to decide what numbers to go with when I do put the pods back on.

zachpc2
03-12-2015, 5:34 AM
I got 125s and yah they're great. I can't remember what size my secondary jets are though

zachpc2
03-13-2015, 11:39 AM
Juancarlito, you should check out carbjetkits.com
And just out of curiosity guys, is pipe wrap supposed to smoke when you first put it on? Been riding with them smoking for 2 days, and its jot as bad as when I first put them on, but they definitely are still smoking. Do they have to cure or some shit like that?

dylanjoseph29
03-14-2015, 3:24 PM
Yea it smokes for the first few rides

zachpc2
03-14-2015, 7:27 PM
Yea it smokes for the first few rides

Good to know, it was kinda worrying me

JuanCarlito
03-20-2015, 12:14 AM
Juancarlito, you should check out carbjetkits.com
And just out of curiosity guys, is pipe wrap supposed to smoke when you first put it on? Been riding with them smoking for 2 days, and its jot as bad as when I first put them on, but they definitely are still smoking. Do they have to cure or some shit like that?

Will do! Thanks for the suggestion! Its my birthday on Sunday so waiting to see if anyone was nice this year and got me any bits and pieces before I shop more lol.

dvae74123
05-28-2015, 10:43 PM
new handlebars, and heres how she sits now. still not really running, front lights not coming on, and it dies when i try to take off. but at the moment shes almost road worthy

What kind of handle bars are those?