PDA

View Full Version : Having problems starting

frenchtracker
02-22-2015, 7:22 PM
have a 1982 maxim 650
the bike started fine until i changed the bars.. something with the starter button its not doing anything when i push it
I play around with the 2 red/white stripe wires and i hear clicking in the relay
battery died so i charged it with a car bat. charger @ trickle charge .. not sure if that has anything to do with it.. but there is power the signal and horn works

Any tips on what i should check?
thanks in advance

Langmire
02-22-2015, 8:53 PM
So the relay doesn't click when ya push the button? But clicks when ya fiddle with the wires? I'd check the switch first. Or even jump the switch to make the relay click.
If it clicks the relay but does not crank the starter check the power/ground side of the relay to the starter. A basic relay set up is kinda like a remote switch. Your push button provides power(or ground) to the solenoid in the relay, causing the contacts to close and delivers power(or ground) to whatever it is your trying to power up.

frenchtracker
02-25-2015, 3:17 AM
So the relay doesn't click when ya push the button? But clicks when ya fiddle with the wires? I'd check the switch first. Or even jump the switch to make the relay click.
If it clicks the relay but does not crank the starter check the power/ground side of the relay to the starter. A basic relay set up is kinda like a remote switch. Your push button provides power(or ground) to the solenoid in the relay, causing the contacts to close and delivers power(or ground) to whatever it is your trying to power up.

What do you mean by jump the switch?

Tattooo
02-25-2015, 8:28 AM
What do you mean by jump the switch?

Sometimes you need to seek out a professional.... But if you want to work on it yourself..... If it was working fine before you did something it was something you did... Take it all back apart and have a look see..... I'm sure you will see the problem......

JRyan
02-25-2015, 3:34 PM
not sure about the maxim, but some of the old jap bikes had a piece in the switch house that grounded when clamped on the bar. if lifted, or bars painted, not grounded start button wont work.

Jetblack
02-27-2015, 7:44 AM
Clicking well If you know the battery is charged and can hold a load... and you have clicking it sounds like the starter solenoid arm is stuck that's what makes the clicking and yes that fucker will still click if the arm is stuck it just sounds a tiny bit different, find your solenoid usually a round fucker between the starter wire positive near the seat... grab you a screw driver and hold it blade end and give it a quick sharp bitch pop with the handle this 9 times out of 10 frees the arm in there.

So make sure your battery is fully charged and can hold a load because it being low can cause a clicking too. The wire in the handle bars... don't know the schematic off the top of my head but it either grounds as someone else said... but since you said two red/white striped wires... logic would state that it completes a circuit by joining them together... as grounding a positive usually pops a fuse especially one connected directly to the battery.