PDA

View Full Version : vt750 First bike, First build

Fang
02-17-2015, 11:14 AM
Hey everyone here's my current and first project
2002 vt750cdc aka Honda shadow ace
Bought it last June, me and a friend on his vlx rode out from San Diego to the grand canyon last summer, this summer Born free is on the agenda.
Here's how I bought her, somewhat stock
I really didn't like the round stock mirrors and the over sized conch covered mustang seats where far too bulky.

I replaced the mirrors with some cheap rectangular ones from a local motorcycle store (I say cheap because of how much they vibrate and also since they where only about $30 for the pair)

The mustang seats and tank bra where traded for stock ones and some cash (I like the Honda logo on the back of the stock seat anyways)

I also replaced the stock exhaust with some Jardine slash cut pipes (junkyard find), removed the baffles and they sound pretty decent, I'll be making my own once I figure out a design I like, the pipes are kinda tore up but compared to the 1.25" stock pipes (jardines are 2") I think it was a pretty good deal for $100
It will at least give me a a good platform to start making some pipes
Like I said, first bike, first build, any suggestions are welcome

Fang
02-17-2015, 11:21 AM
Next up was getting rid of as much plastic on the bike as possible
First up was the side covers that hide the radiator cap and battery/tool box
I removed all the paint from the bike via grinder wire wheel, leaving it rusty for now, I plan on getting a cb550 or cb750 tank in the near future

I also took a ball peen to the tank and added some dents for a dished look

I picked up a piece of 1" flat bar for $4 and made a cheap sissy bar to hold my backpack and extra helmet, I drilled two holes in each side after bending it and bolted it to some ebay sissy bar hardware.

I also got a 5' length of 1" tubing for $6 and made some "broomstick" handlebars
Considering j&p cycles sells the same bar for $109 I think that was the money saver
I cut my bars to 26" long which is the most narrow possible since the brake reservoir hits the risers if it's any shorter, drilled two holes for the throttle and switch assembly and put it all together
I had to re route my brake, throttle, and clutch lines so they weren't kinked also but after a nice 50 mile test ride everything seems to be running smoothly
The bars give the bike a much more aggressive look, I do have to hunch down to hold on for dear life but It took about ten mins to switch the bars around so I can always go back if needed

I also attempted to do a kind of wire tuck, I re routed some of the wiring near the stator and tried to hide it a bit
Sometime soon I plan on hiding all the wiring in either a oil barrel in place of the tool box/battery holder or in the front of the swing arm like aft customs did on a few of their bikes
Radiator relocation is still up in the air also
I saw aft customs did a vt 750 where they hid the radiator under the seat but I'm still iffy on that

Fang
02-17-2015, 11:25 AM
So a few more things I did
I cut two more inches off the handlebars
Trimmed down the rear fender nine inches
Removed the rear turn signals and brake lights
I also trimmed down the rubber metal flake grips I bought online
I drilled four holes in the fender and mounted the license plate vertically, then mounted a brake light I bought on ebay via a bracket I made out of scrap metal
As you can see I took off that piece of crap sissy bar, it could hold my backpack but it was just too flimsy, a new one is down the line
Right now the widest thing on my bike are the foot pegs by about 1.5" the next thing is my shoulders so lane splitting and filtering isn't such an issue anymore

Next I plan on getting a new used swing arm to customize and a couple replacements to clean up the throttle side of the bars a bit...

Fang
02-17-2015, 11:27 AM
As you can see there are some kind of tank baffles on the left side of the tank (brought my little tank denting idea to a screeching halt)

Fang
02-17-2015, 11:30 AM
So I decided to make the handlebars even shorter
After trimming down the grips a few inches to fit my hand better I relocated the brake reservoir/ brake lever between the risers and shortened the bars up a bit more
Right now they are 19.5" wide
Compared to the stock ones that measured in at 34" it's a huge difference while lane splitting/filtering

I rewired my Shadow to remove the wire cluster going to the right side of the handlebars
I had to loop the kill switch in order for it to always be on
hardwired the headlight since it is integrated into the starter button
and also relocated the starter button with a flush mount momentary push button switch onto the left side tool box cover

Fang
02-17-2015, 11:36 AM
Recently I drilled a bunch of holes in the front sprocket cover, replaced the chain with a gold plated one (first chain replacement)
I also installed some 6" dog bone risers and shaved down my bars a bit more (currently 17" wide)
I also finally got my single throttle clamp, I had to tap it to fit my stock throttle cable (first time using a tap kit)

Fang
02-17-2015, 11:39 AM
Some moron on the freeway hit me while riding a couple days ago
Which of course ruined my dog bone risers
I also now have a front rim that is slightly bent
So I tore off the old dog bones and made some new ones!
The center to center measurement of the old ones was 6"
The new ones I have made are measuring in at 9.25" center to center
My bars are also down to "15 wide

Fang
02-17-2015, 11:45 AM
Then I changed out my clutch springs
The barnett springs where $20 on ebay and where totally worth it
The clutch handle engages much smoother now and has quite the punch when wot.
Also I added some electrical tape on my headlight which seems to be the thing most people are drawn to...

Fang
02-17-2015, 11:53 AM
Decided to go with a yellow h4 bulb for now since it seems to match the tape pretty well
I replaced my rectangle mirror with a round clamp on one
I also re laced my hub into a new oem rim
Took it to a local shop to have the new tire mounted (shinko 705)
Then took it home to true it myself (first time)
From some youtube videos and a bunch of research I was able to true it myself in about 4 hours
Took it to a different shop and according to them I did it perfectly which I guess is true since I've been riding it for several months now with zero issues

Fang
02-17-2015, 12:00 PM
Next up I'll be relocating the battery to the bottom of the frame near the pivot point for the swing arm
Then a faux oil tank to hold all the wiring will go in it's original place
Right now I'm deciding on either pod filters or velocity stacks for the carbs to get rid of the bulky air box assembly
Which along with the wire tuck should allow me to replace the tank finally
On a side note I've made some new bars, same style but went from 9.25" tall to 17"
Currently researching how to make custom length cables and hoses

Fang
02-17-2015, 12:01 PM
Also if anyone was curious I removed the stock fork shields, makes them look much thinner/better in my opinion

Fang
04-01-2018, 4:31 PM
I was riding this bike in ocean beach a few years back near sunset cliffs, got hit head on by a drunk driver
Luckily I escaped with just some nerve damage and some aches and pains, The bike was destroyed

Tattooo
04-01-2018, 4:51 PM
I was riding this bike in ocean beach a few years back near sunset cliffs, got hit head on by a drunk driver
Luckily I escaped with just some nerve damage and some aches and pains, The bike was destroyed

Glad your ok....... Bikes can be replaced...

Fang
04-17-2018, 3:17 PM
Glad your ok....... Bikes can be replaced...

Exactly, I ended up getting a roadstar 1600 which is much faster and better overall in my opinion

BoozePig
05-01-2018, 8:23 AM
Glad you're good. Looked like a sweet little ride. Crazy bars.