PDA

View Full Version : dont weld it even if you think you can

Getow
02-16-2015, 7:54 PM
Just a heads up. Lol. I have a 77 kz650. Kick only, cafe bars, 400 seat, unsure of year of motor, h2 forks, a few hand made parts, no key, 4 into 1, etc. Fun bike. Anyhow I haven't got many miles on it yet, I just got r-title work done and now pretty cold in western pa. Well, a friend suggested that I put a steering dampner on it. Ok whatever, bored, so I thought I would. I found 1 on eBay I thought would benefit my beater. Bought it. Old school, kz drag bike type, 7 position, nice piece. Well after hrs of figuring, drilling, taping and completing the job, 2 min later, the spotwelded bracket decided to break free. I should of just squeezed it w rubber insert, but Nooooo, I can really fix it better. So I decided to weld it back together. DOnT DO IT!!! I overheated the seal, and now I have a pretty cool leaky paper weight. Lesson well learned. And to boot, I fuckin knew better. Ha lol. Just a heads up.

Getow
02-17-2015, 11:18 AM
Ha. Update. Appears that the seal was not damaged. Apparently the fluid got hot enough to boil pass the seal. I figured I would try it again and against my better judgment, I welded it more. Using a ton of caution of course. Then grinded welds smooth, cleaned and painted it. Not leaking and still fuckin works. Can't really believe it. Well not a paper weight anymore. At least for now. Lol

datadavid
02-17-2015, 1:54 PM
You never considered putting a wet rag around the damper? :)
Next time... ;)

Getow
02-17-2015, 8:07 PM
Ha. Never crossed my mind. It will next time around though. Lol thax

deathmetaldan
02-18-2015, 2:36 AM
2 questions..... why are you welding on the damper and why do you even need a damper? Are you racing this machine?

Westboundbiker
02-18-2015, 7:21 AM
I know some people put them on for steering stabilization, for potholes and such.

nk14zp
02-18-2015, 12:07 PM
2 questions..... why are you welding on the damper and why do you even need a damper? Are you racing this machine?

Cause it's the hippster thing to have.

Sky
02-18-2015, 9:01 PM
The lesson here is to not be in such a hurry.
A hurry to weld something up without proper prep. Like disassembly, or shielding heat sensitive components.
Or in a hurry to whip out the "H" word.
And his friend suggested the damper, duh.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dampner

jethro57
02-18-2015, 10:53 PM
older kz models handled like shit really so any improvement is recommended

Getow
02-19-2015, 5:50 PM
To answer your 1st question. I was welding the dampner because the bracket was spot welded on already and that's what let go. 2nd if you ever experienced a high speed wobble, you would want to prevent it. Not racing this machine, but riding hard. And 3rd, I'm not into hipster shit. I dont follow the "in" thing, I do what I like, weather any1 digs it or not.
Hurry is exactly what I was in. Lesson again well learned. Thax

deathmetaldan
02-19-2015, 8:50 PM
its a jap cruiser from 77 not even a sport tourer..... they dont turn on a dime.

If you dont know what to do during a wobble you should read some keith code books and do some investigative maintenance.

im not saying you dont know how to ride, i am saying its a half assed fix to a potentially fatal problem.

edit: I should also mention that this is a UJM bike so you can swap in so many front ends that it might take you awhile to decide.