PDA

View Full Version : Chain/Belt Drive, Air Cooled, Carbureted, V-Twin, Non Harley Bike to Bob?

bnag0
02-11-2015, 8:40 AM
So these seem to be few and far between these days?

This is kind of my criteria for a bobber and the only one i can seem to find is the Yamaha Roadstar (Which i own)

I was hoping to find a newer smaller cruiser bike to bob and can't seem to find one matching this criteria.

The V Star 650 is close but is shaft drive.

zachpc2
02-11-2015, 8:56 AM
I'm pretty sure anything with drive shaft can be converted to chain. And I think you outta check out the Honda shadow if you haven't already. They do make a model that is air cooled with chain drive

bnag0
02-11-2015, 9:21 AM
If this is true i cannot find it.... what model / year?

bparsel
02-11-2015, 11:33 AM
If this is true i cannot find it.... what model / year?

I would be curious to see this answer as well. I'm not aware of an air cooled/chain drive metric. *** A v-star 250 is air cooled with a chain drive.....if you want to bob a little 250!

The new Yamaha bolt is air cooled...but belt driven and efi (which you could get rid of).

EVILBLACKSABRE
02-11-2015, 12:41 PM
It's not a v-twin, but the Honda Rebel is chain drive, air-cooled, and has a carb.

I'm not aware of any air-cooled Honda Shadows.

Westboundbiker
02-11-2015, 12:41 PM
I'm pretty sure anything with drive shaft can be converted to chain. And I think you outta check out the Honda shadow if you haven't already. They do make a model that is air cooled with chain drive

Yeah... can be. But damn will it take a lot of work. It won't be basic fab, it'll be machining, and likely some modeling. Not to say people haven't, and won't continue to, but if chain drive is what you're looking for, I'd definitely agree with the Shadow. The ACE is the only one that isn't chain, if memory serves.

nickey
02-11-2015, 12:49 PM
Have you thought about a Vulcan? I know they are water cooled, but I've been looking at different metric cruisers as my next bike, and the Vulcan 800 just seems perfect for chopping. Besides the water cooled v twin, it's got a single backbone, single carb, faux hardtail, and the customs have 21" out front and 16" rear. Also, everyone that has one seems to love it. Just throwing that out there.

billyolds
02-11-2015, 4:06 PM
you say you want to "bob" it. The 650s are a great bikes even with the shaft drive. Im not a fan of shaft drives for builds but your criteria doesnt make it sound like you absolutely need a chain, not to mention you are looking for somewhat of a unicorn.

bnag0
02-11-2015, 8:14 PM
My first bobber was a vn800 liquid cooling was why I sold it and now have the xv1700. I am baking a hardtail frame for the bike. A belt or chain drive is a must for different wheels. I guess I could live with another radiator. Maybe just hide it idk

bnag0
02-12-2015, 8:44 AM
Anyone know if the V Star 650 shaft spins the correct way for a sprocket? I thought i saw a post somewhere online that had a list of shaft drive bikes that spun the correct way if you were to make them chain drive.

sinsai750
02-12-2015, 9:25 AM
I have a shadow 750 2006 it chain and carb so any that year or earlier also shadow 650 is chain and carb. You could always do a xs650 they are reasonable and lots of parts available

sinsai750
02-12-2015, 9:28 AM
Dam just seen air cooled for get shadows xs650: suzuki savage650; gs models are good depending on how old u want

53Bash
02-12-2015, 10:41 AM
Engine wise, the Yamaha TR1. Is basically a chain drive version of the Virago / XV920. Rare as hens teath in America, a bit more common in Europe. Is a monoshock rear and stressed engine, highly sought for cafe racer conversions (about as close to a Vincent Black Shadow as you can get in a modern-ish bike) maybe not as good for a bobber.

Also, engine wise, just about any older Ducati. Again, stressed engine means the frame isn't a convention twin downtube, but plenty of air cooled v twins with chain drive. Its been done, there's a company that specializes in Ducatin engine choppers. Engines are actually nice and grunty (especially if re-tuned with longer runners and pipes, smaller carbs, etc) so it makes more sense than you'd expect.

bnag0
02-12-2015, 1:09 PM
Anyone know if the V Star 650 shaft spins the correct way for a sprocket? I thought i saw a post somewhere online that had a list of shaft drive bikes that spun the correct way if you were to make them chain drive.

bump

jethro57
02-12-2015, 2:53 PM
Engine wise, the Yamaha TR1. Is basically a chain drive version of the Virago / XV920. Rare as hens teath in America, a bit more common in Europe. Is a monoshock rear and stressed engine, highly sought for cafe racer conversions (about as close to a Vincent Black Shadow as you can get in a modern-ish bike) maybe not as good for a bobber.

Also, engine wise, just about any older Ducati. Again, stressed engine means the frame isn't a convention twin downtube, but plenty of air cooled v twins with chain drive. Its been done, there's a company that specializes in Ducatin engine choppers. Engines are actually nice and grunty (especially if re-tuned with longer runners and pipes, smaller carbs, etc) so it makes more sense than you'd expect.
http://13choppers.com/