PDA

View Full Version : Help with my 2001 VLX. Brake Light wiring issues....

Rocs
02-09-2015, 7:36 PM
Hey guys, I spent a few hours last night searching while I waiting for my membership to be approved but haven't come up with anything yet.

So I am working on installing a new Brake Light on my 2001 VLX. When I hook the wires up to the stock harness, the light just stays on. It does not get bright or dim when I apply the brake. Is there something I am missing here? I was expecting this to be plug and play.

I have attached the light I purchased off eBay. I feel stupid for making this post but I'm at a loss here.

dylanjoseph29
02-09-2015, 7:45 PM
The 3 wires are the ground, the taillight, and the brake light. If it's kumin on but not reacting to the brake. Then u probably have the brake light plugged into your taillight wire. Just try hooking the wires in different configurations until u get it. 56527 I hooked up a new led taillight today this is how they had to be connected. Just touching them together in that pic by the way. I personally like heat shrink wrap instead of electrical tape. It's only 3 wires you'll get it.

Rocs
02-09-2015, 8:02 PM
Thanks for the picture. Ill try your suggestion again. I thought i toggled different options with the wires but ill give it an other go.

Pendulum
02-09-2015, 9:09 PM
Do you know which wire is the ground? Whenever I have lights that don't have the wires labelled, I use a 12v battery (like from your cordless drill) to figure out what wire is what.

Westboundbiker
02-10-2015, 12:50 PM
Do you know which wire is the ground? Whenever I have lights that don't have the wires labelled, I use a 12v battery (like from your cordless drill) to figure out what wire is what.

I suppose that is an option, but anymore, with so many things electronic nowdays, it's worth it to go get a multimeter. Plus, HF has em for free now and then. Not super accurate, but for checking where your 12V is, and if you've got continuity, they work great.

Bertus
02-10-2015, 1:05 PM
I had the same problem, if you have a black cable that's the ground, it needs to touch bare metal, mine was working fine and when I powdercoated the licenseplate holder the little bastard stopped working. Had to reattach the ground cable to the frame.

Pendulum
02-10-2015, 3:50 PM
I suppose that is an option, but anymore, with so many things electronic nowdays, it's worth it to go get a multimeter. Plus, HF has em for free now and then. Not super accurate, but for checking where your 12V is, and if you've got continuity, they work great.

Those HF DMMs are shit, but they're better than nothing. I've got a test light and a couple multi-meters, but the old 12v battery trick is faster/easier in my opinion. It's not like you're going to damage the light by doing it. If it was a regulator/rectifier, stator, or anything computer-related then the multimeter is for sure the better idea. But lights, speakers/horns, starters etc... Unless my multi-meter is closer than a battery, I'll just touch the leads to said battery.

heyyodho
02-11-2015, 1:27 AM
I second this.

I had the same problem, if you have a black cable that's the ground, it needs to touch bare metal, mine was working fine and when I powdercoated the licenseplate holder the little bastard stopped working. Had to reattach the ground cable to the frame.

Wolfie
02-11-2015, 7:05 PM
Just a note....many Jap bike, mebbe others nowadays have multiple grounds.....I was used to grounding to the frame for 30 yrs...then plastic happened, lol....check yer grounds....

...wtf is a VLX...oh a hondooo...shouldda posted it in the Jap forum, but....

http://www.wizardinthebasement.com/completeVLXdiagram.jpg

Shittyvlx
02-20-2015, 6:51 AM
Like the other guy said switch the wires around until it works

hdobsessed
02-21-2015, 5:36 AM
Do you know which wire is the ground? Whenever I have lights that don't have the wires labelled, I use a 12v battery (like from your cordless drill) to figure out what wire is what. A lot of these led taillights use the yellow wire for the groung, black is tail, red is brake...

Mocnyang
02-22-2015, 1:44 PM
Use Google and type what bike it is and follow it with wiring digram. Just make sure you put the motor size.

Example: 2001 honda vlx750 wiring diagram.

Should tell you exactly which wires are what.