PDA

View Full Version : Gas blowing out of breather please help!!

frenchtracker
02-02-2015, 1:02 AM
Bike is a 81 yamaha maxim 650.
I got rid of air box and putting on the pod filters. Already jetted the main jets, pods are on there way.. I go to try it out.. start the bike.. and gas starts blowing out of the breather (i cut the og tube that went to air box and put a small k&n filter at the end)
Please someone tell me what is going on here. Thanks in advance for your help I'm learning as I go
cheers!

Sky
02-02-2015, 6:09 AM
Sounds like you are flooding big time! Don't keep cranking as the oil may have been washed from the cylinder walls and you may become hydrolocked!
First shut off the gas at the petcock. If it don't work pinch off the fuel line.
Then check your floats and needles, plus make sure the carb overflows are not blocked.
Once you are sure the carbs are not flooding anymore, time to check the oil. If it's gas fouled you'll have to change it.
A smart man would squirt some oil through the plug holes to make sure those rings are lubed before trying to stet it up again!
Note: Your fuel problem may not be quite this serious, but it's worth checking out

corpse
02-02-2015, 7:55 PM
Sounds like you are flooding big time! Don't keep cranking as the oil may have been washed from the cylinder walls and you may become hydrolocked!
First shut off the gas at the petcock. If it don't work pinch off the fuel line.
Then check your floats and needles, plus make sure the carb overflows are not blocked.
Once you are sure the carbs are not flooding anymore, time to check the oil. If it's gas fouled you'll have to change it.
A smart man would squirt some oil through the plug holes to make sure those rings are lubed before trying to stet it up again!
Note: Your fuel problem may not be quite this serious, but it's worth checking out

agreed ^^
You probably just have dirt keeping your float needle from sealing when you float bowl is full. clean and inspect the seat!