PDA

View Full Version : Longer forks.

Jaack86
01-07-2015, 4:00 AM
Hi guys.

Before anyone bashes me about the search option, I have tried to find some info on this but can't find much.

I'm after some 4" overs for my VLX. I hear everyone going on about Franks but as I live in the UK, COD isn't really an option for me. I don't know what else they offer, if anything for my bike as they haven't emailed me back.

So far I've found two other suppliers for extended forks for my bike. First being Meancycles and second being Chopper-kit-USA (AME, Chopper Supply).

I'm asking two things really, if anyone has used either of these two, what is the quality like and secondly, are there any other options?

Getting either option into the UK is going to cost me upwards of 250 inc shipping so I want to make sure whatever I go for is top notch.

Thanks guys.

Any advice will be helpful.

Bike is 1996 Honda VLX600

deathmetaldan
01-07-2015, 7:00 AM
you could get a dirt bike front end and put heavier springs in it. It will take some effort on your part to make it work though.

loddytoddy
01-07-2015, 8:18 AM
I've emailed him twice asking about longer tubes and still nothing back..

Jaack86
01-07-2015, 9:54 AM
you could get a dirt bike front end and put heavier springs in it. It will take some effort on your part to make it work though.

That seems a bit extreme when there are longer tubes available on the market. Thanks though.

I've emailed him twice asking about longer tubes and still nothing back..

Hmmm. Reading the Frank threads it seems a common theme of non response by email. Might have to bite the bullet and phone from here. Hopefully it's not a long call haha.

deathmetaldan
01-08-2015, 1:54 AM
not sure what is so extreme about it. If you cant get in contact with the companies that sell the tubes and you have to sell your first born to import them when you do get in touch.

I am sure dirt bikes are all over and if you do some research you can probably find longer legs that slide right in.

Im guessing you want something that you just slap on and they work then?

edit: just did the currency conversion and in murica you can buy a used running dirt bike for what you would pay to import the tubes (250 is a little over $378)

Jaack86
01-08-2015, 2:58 AM
edit: just did the currency conversion and in murica you can buy a used running dirt bike for what you would pay to import the tubes (250 is a little over $378)

a whole bike for 250? thats a bargain.

I may actually look into this route. Thanks

Jaack86
01-09-2015, 5:26 AM
Anyone?

billyolds
01-09-2015, 1:00 PM
http://www.billskimods.com/ForkExtensions.htm

billyolds
01-09-2015, 1:01 PM
just noticed it doesnt say for the vlx but I thought they were the same size fork tubes. Take you fork cap to a machine shop, they might make it happen too.

Jaack86
01-09-2015, 2:36 PM
Thanks for the link man but I'm after longer tubes. No slugs for me. Too many horror stories. Thanks again.

Wolfie
01-09-2015, 8:36 PM
...Frank's Forks.....

Jaack86
01-13-2015, 5:01 PM
...Frank's Forks.....

Second time lucky with franks. Cheaper than the others too and for what so many people say are the best forks out there that can only be a good thing.

Wolfie
01-13-2015, 6:46 PM
There just tough to contact sometimes since Frank passed...I had a number somewhere, but damned if I know what box its in, lol...

billyolds
01-14-2015, 1:31 PM
I converted my shadow 750 to a one inch neck, its not hard or expensive and opens up all kinds of possibilities. I can find a link to a few threads about it if youre interested.

Jaack86
01-14-2015, 2:36 PM
That would be great. Not something I intend on doing but could be worth a look.

billyolds
01-14-2015, 3:23 PM
http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35690 this was my write up. I got the original idea from http://www.shadowriders.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16721 he over complicated shit a bit.

I can now mount any big twin 1" front end to my shadow, making the possibilities fairly endless as far as availability, size and style.

Jaack86
01-17-2015, 11:08 AM
Looks cool man. Probably above my skill levels